MPC Taurus-1

Take us through your build strategies and ideas.
bernomatic
Site Admin

MPC Taurus-1

Post #1 by bernomatic » Sun, 01 Oct 17, 14:17 pm

So why finish one of my other builds? Let's just start something new!

Received via mail from an unnamed benefactor, The Taurus was a gift to show special accoutrements added to kits by MPC when they were in the model rocketry biz (I'll go into those in a later post).

P9280003.JPG
Parts Layout
P9280003.JPG (81.56 KiB) Viewed 106 times

The design is a 4FNC with some optional additions

P9290008.JPG
Fin Pattern (scale is inches!)
P9290008.JPG (115.5 KiB) Viewed 106 times

The kit was in decent shape when I received it, with the exception of the nose cone having swelled a bit over time to the point it didn't quite fit in the Body Tube. Speaking of the Body Tube, MPC used a non-Estes size tube here, my calipers are saying a 14.38mm I.D. by a 15.14mm O.D. This is basically a slip fit over the standard Estes BT-5. That brings me to the next unique feature of this kit. The "engine mount" is just a 13mm tube with an engine block that is slip fitted into the main body tube. The engine mount tube tube is 57.3mm long with the 4.5mm engine block being shown in the directions as positioned flush with one end. This leaves 52.8mm for the mini-engine, which means if I plan to use this with the available Estes mini-engines I'll either need an adapter or to reposition the engine block. In reading through the directions, I note that the "Minijet" model rocket engines to be used with this model were available in a B total thrust variant. It is too bad they are no longer available.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer

bernomatic
Site Admin

Re: MPC Taurus-1

Post #2 by bernomatic » Sun, 01 Oct 17, 15:46 pm

Another unique feature of this kit is the shock cord and the shock cord anchor

P9290003.JPG
shock cord(?) and anchor
P9290003.JPG (39.59 KiB) Viewed 102 times

What I believe is the shock cord (no parts list was included in the instructions) appears to be some twisted cordage about 44.5cm long. This will be replaced by me with elastic cotton ribbon.

The anchor is a cardstock tab with three holes punched in it. I have seen this type of anchor mentioned before, but not come across it.

bernomatic
Site Admin

Re: MPC Taurus-1

Post #3 by bernomatic » Thu, 05 Oct 17, 04:59 am

I know this is a basic skill level one kit, but with it's unique features I thought thought it worth a thread.

so here goes...

First is gluing the engine block into the engine mount. I'm placing it flush to the end of the engine mount and will cut a spacer for the smaller Estes mini engines as soon as I get finished berating myself for forgetting to replace the memory card back in the camera after downloading some pictures... :cry: