Upgrading the Renegade

Take us through your build strategies and ideas.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#41 Re: Upgrading the Renegade

Post by bernomatic »

I haven't forgotten about you and the canopy. It's actually sitting on my desk all packaged and addressed, and just waiting for me to take it to the Post Office and mail it out. It sounds like I'm going to be using a c - 11- 0 to a B6 - 4 for my first flight since the wreck. I'm thinking the D 12-0 is too powerful and lifts the booster too high to survive and non parachuted return.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#42 Re: Upgrading the Renegade

Post by tmacklin »

bernomatic wrote:I haven't forgotten about you and the canopy. It's actually sitting on my desk all packaged and addressed, and just waiting for me to take it to the Post Office and mail it out. It sounds like I'm going to be using a c - 11- 0 to a B6 - 4 for my first flight since the wreck. I'm thinking the D 12-0 is too powerful and lifts the booster too high to survive and non parachuted return.
That would be a good plan on your part. A C11 to a B6 will produce a nice high flight but not so high as to land in a different county! The Gunter, Texas field is over 500 acres so I felt confident to launch the D12/C6 combo. My guess is that the booster went at least 250 feet before staging and began tumbling at first but then became aerodynamic and lawn darted dead on the faux booster pods, shearing them off. I was following the sustainer with my eyes in anticipation of a long walk but people watching the booster say it came in aerodynamic.

Please let me know via email what you want for the canopy before you mail it unless it's a "freeby." :?:
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#43 Re: Upgrading the Renegade

Post by Commander »

The booster coming in ballastic was the initial reason that I heard of for the change from a two stager to a single stager. I guess some of the clubs wouldn't even let you launch it at their fields the problem had become so prevalent. Of course some of that (or even most of it) could have been G.G. types showing their "knowledge" and "expertise" while lording it over the plebes. Either way, it is why I modified mine to have a streamer for the booster section to try and keep it from coming in hot.

Well shoot and all that mumbo jumbo. I'm supposed to charge for my services? :o no wonder the wife gets so upset when I talk about all the stuff I do for the Starport. :? We'll just call it a couple of beers for now.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#44 Re: Upgrading the Renegade

Post by tmacklin »

Well Bernie, as Obama used to say when he was down south, "that's mighty white of you!" :oops:

Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#45 Re: Upgrading the Renegade

Post by Commander »

It's on it's way. I hope it doesn't get squashed on its way to you. I should have probably put it in a heavier box, but then that would have cost more postage. I asked for a Fragile stamp at the post office and it seems to barely have worked.

Cross your fingers...
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#46 Re: Upgrading the Renegade

Post by tmacklin »

Bernie,

The package arrived in my mailbox today, undamaged and intact. Thank you very much!

But where are the instructions on how it is to be attached? Seriously. I assume that the canopy is to be trimmed and then glued over the standard NC60 nose? If so, what is the recommended adhesive?
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#47 Re: Upgrading the Renegade

Post by bernomatic »

Ya know, karma is nothing to fiddle with. It couldn't have been more than six months ago I complained to a rocketry supplier about getting something without any directions. I am sure he thought the item was self explanatory and didn't require them. Like most geeks however, I wanted to be sure.

To answer your question, I thought I suggested somewhere to you to check out Tim V's instructions for his canopies. With the way I am with creating instructions, you would be on your twentieth operation before I finished them.
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#48 Re: Upgrading the Renegade

Post by tmacklin »

bernomatic wrote:Ya know, karma is nothing to fiddle with. It couldn't have been more than six months ago I complained to a rocketry supplier about getting something without any directions. I am sure he thought the item was self explanatory and didn't require them. Like most geeks however, I wanted to be sure.

To answer your question, I thought I suggested somewhere to you to check out Tim V's instructions for his canopies. With the way I am with creating instructions, you would be on your twentieth operation before I finished them.
Well, I guess there's always duct tape. :lol:
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#49 Re: Upgrading the Renegade

Post by bernomatic »

All right Ted, here's the scoop.

1) Score along the base of the canopy with a hobby knife. Gently bend back and forth along the score line, working carefully around the canopy til it is free of the scrap.
2) Wrap 400 grit sand paper around the nose cone you will be attaching the canopy to. Slide the canopy along the nose cone till the edges are feathered and the canopy makes a good fit.
3) Apply glue to the edge of the canopy and place on the nose cone in position. For the Renegade, the end of the long skinny rear of the canopy is approximately 5mm (1/4" for those in Texas, or would you prefer in veras? 0.0075 vrs.) from the rear edge of the nose cone. I have used a gel CNA and Gorilla glue 5 minute epoxy without any distortion of the plastic and with equal strength.
4.) Lightly buff the surface of the canopy with a fine steel wool or 600 grit sandpaper. Paint as you usually would for plastic.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out. 8-)
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#50 Re: Upgrading the Renegade

Post by tmacklin »

bernomatic wrote:All right Ted, here's the scoop.

1) Score along the base of the canopy with a hobby knife. Gently bend back and forth along the score line, working carefully around the canopy til it is free of the scrap.
2) Wrap 400 grit sand paper around the nose cone you will be attaching the canopy to. Slide the canopy along the nose cone till the edges are feathered and the canopy makes a good fit.
3) Apply glue to the edge of the canopy and place on the nose cone in position. For the Renegade, the end of the long skinny rear of the canopy is approximately 5mm (1/4" for those in Texas, or would you prefer in veras? 0.0075 vrs.) from the rear edge of the nose cone. I have used a gel CNA and Gorilla glue 5 minute epoxy without any distortion of the plastic and with equal strength.
4.) Lightly buff the surface of the canopy with a fine steel wool or 600 grit sandpaper. Paint as you usually would for plastic.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out. 8-)
Thanks for the advice Bernie and I will keep you posted when I am able to get to it. :D