Estes Scrambler Clone

Take us through your build strategies and ideas.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#1 Estes Scrambler Clone

Post by Commander »

We got an order here on the Starport to make the TA 60-65 balsa transitions needed for the old Estes egglofter Scrambler. Since I completed my first skill level five build last year and needed something new to add to the list of incomplete builds, and since I had ordered the laser cut Scrambler fins from Sem-Roc shortly after Carl's passing, I thought I would give this one a go.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#2 Re: Estes Scrambler Clone

Post by Commander »

I started on the build last night, took some pics and had all sorts of commentary lined up. Came down to the Cantina this morning to continue on and came to an abrupt stop. Some how the Captain's Table in the Cantina had water drip down on it from the kitchen and while not inundating everything, making quite a mess. :shock:
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#3 Re: Estes Scrambler Clone

Post by Commander »

Here is the Scrambler parts layout from the other night, before the shower at the Commander's Table.
Picture By: Bernard Herman<br />copyright 2021, all rights reserved
Picture By: Bernard Herman
copyright 2021, all rights reserved
Parts layout.JPG (520.39 KiB) Viewed 5940 times
and here is a picture of one of the adapters (TA60-65) I made. This one had one of the tube coupler areas just a bit more undersized than I liked. (When it comes to adapters that I turn, if it takes more than one layer of masking tape to make the joint snug, I redo the piece. This piece didn't make the grade.
TA60-65.JPG (509.42 KiB) Viewed 5940 times
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#4 Re: Estes Scrambler Clone

Post by Commander »

To those observant in the parts layout photo, you may have noticed that I am short a couple of Engine Hooks. I started searching around for them cheap, but most places wanted close to a buck a piece. I did some quick searching for a supplier of spring steel that size and couldn't find anything better. I decided to go with Balsa Machining Services who had them for a reasonable price.

But that got me thinking, instead of going by the original plans, I could put in a retaining system like I did in the Ranger clone I made.
Ranger motor mounts.JPG (518.72 KiB) Viewed 5939 times
So, do I stay accurate to the historical construction or make it easier on myself :?:
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#5 Re: Estes Scrambler Clone

Post by Commander »

As some of you may have noticed, I do not have the nose cone for the Scrambler. The one shown in the parts layout is the nose cone for the Olympus. The outline printed is from a Rock-Sim generated nose cone which doesn't resemble the Scrambler nose cone as seen in pictures.
Thus, I am looking for someone with an original nose cone from an Estes kit, not the Sem-Roc clone. Although I trust Carl, I would want to verify.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#6 Re: Estes Scrambler Clone

Post by Commander »

One of the ways to compensate for a loose fitting shoulder on a nose cone or transition is to finish the entire piece. Here I am applying sanding sealer to the transition.
101_1630.JPG (569.58 KiB) Viewed 5911 times
Normally when I dip a nose cone in sanding sealer, I hold it by the screw eye. I was concentrating on the low volume of sanding sealer too much and not noticing its thicker viscosity which helped pull the transition off the body tube I was using to dip it, and...
101_1633.JPG (561.81 KiB) Viewed 5911 times
I had nothing to grab the transition by as it soaked in the sanding sealer. Then my inner Red Green took over and duct tape came to the rescue. :)
101_1634.JPG (538.78 KiB) Viewed 5911 times
So remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#7 Re: Estes Scrambler Clone

Post by luke strawwalker »

Commander wrote: Thu, 14 Jan 21, 07:25 am Here is the Scrambler parts layout from the other night, before the shower at the Commander's Table.
Parts layout.JPG

and here is a picture of one of the adapters (TA60-65) I made. This one had one of the tube coupler areas just a bit more undersized than I liked. (When it comes to adapters that I turn, if it takes more than one layer of masking tape to make the joint snug, I redo the piece. This piece didn't make the grade.

TA60-65.JPG
Just turn it down a bit more, and slip a stage coupler (tube coupler) over the end of the shoulder that is undersize, and glue it in place. Works like a champ. What I usually do anyway because it is SUCH a fine line between getting a shoulder 'just right' and getting it "undersize". Much easier to get a good fit with a tube coupler and glue it in place. Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#8 Re: Estes Scrambler Clone

Post by luke strawwalker »

Commander wrote: Thu, 14 Jan 21, 07:35 am To those observant in the parts layout photo, you may have noticed that I am short a couple of Engine Hooks. I started searching around for them cheap, but most places wanted close to a buck a piece. I did some quick searching for a supplier of spring steel that size and couldn't find anything better. I decided to go with Balsa Machining Services who had them for a reasonable price.

But that got me thinking, instead of going by the original plans, I could put in a retaining system like I did in the Ranger clone I made.
Ranger motor mounts.JPG

So, do I stay accurate to the historical construction or make it easier on myself :?:
Best source of material for motor hooks-- old windshield wiper blade replacements. The cheap ones not the fancy one-piece ones. Take the blade out of the suspension frame, and then pull the two stainless spring steel pieces out of the rubber wiper itself (on either side) and voila-- instant motor hook material. Simply cut it with a good pair of side-cutters or electrician's dikes and then bend the ends to match the length of your motor. Works like a champ! OL J R : )
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#9 Re: Estes Scrambler Clone

Post by Commander »

I've decided to follow the original instructions as much as possible for this build, so I will be using the three engine hooks on the engine mount. A couple of ideas I also had was to put engine blocks in front of the hooks. I don't know who came up with this idea, but Estes started doing it sometime in the 1980's. It is a good idea as it keeps the engine hook from tearing the engine tube and moving forward under the acceleration from the engines. It also keeps the same damage from being done when the rocket is dropped tail first on the floor and the engine hook protruding from the rear gets impelled forward. (ask me how I know). Unfortunately I forgot to add them before gluing the engine tube cluster to the ring adapter. It is not impossible to glue them from the rear of the mount, but I'm going to have a think about about that before making a final decision.

The Ring Adapter I used was cut from mounting board and is a little bit thicker than the current Estes versions. To make certain that the tubes were aligned correctly, I slipped a section of BT-60 over my ultimate fin jig mandrel than laid the ring adapter inside the tube on top off the mandrel.
photo by: Bernard Herman<br />all rights reserved
photo by: Bernard Herman
all rights reserved
engine mount parts setup.jpg (412.7 KiB) Viewed 5797 times
I then glued the tubes in place by tack gluing them with CA glue. and placing some weight upon the tubes as a clamp.
all rights reserved
engine mount glue up.jpg (134.91 KiB) Viewed 5797 times
all rights reserved
engine mount clamp.jpg (322.87 KiB) Viewed 5797 times
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#10 Re: Estes Scrambler Clone

Post by Commander »

While I had the Ultimate Fin Jig out, might as well attach the fins.
all rights reserved
fins on.jpg (65.41 KiB) Viewed 5781 times
all rights reserved
fin close up.jpg (68.79 KiB) Viewed 5781 times
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971