My first skill level five rocket

Take us through your build strategies and ideas.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#21 Re: My first skill level five rocket

Post by Commander »

One of the most useful tools I used for this build was a dowel I turned on my lathe to fit the 1090 body tubes. Here is one of the nacelle tubes overlays on the dowel before being cut out. I attach the template to the body tube using rubber cement, cut out the part and take off the template. I did the air intake tubes the same way. The nacelle halves were glued together then cut out, so they didn't fit on the dowel.
Nacelle Overlay.JPG
Nacelle Overlay.JPG (707.89 KiB) Viewed 45437 times
I now have dowels or blanks, that fit numerous body tube sizes.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#22 Re: My first skill level five rocket

Post by Commander »

The Zarconian Cruiser build is almost ready to have the primer applied. I just have to add the nacelles; engine mount; tail cone and then I can finish sand it. Once the primer is applied, I Will have to decide whether I want to follow the face card color scheme. I have another Zarconian Cruiser in my build pile and I'm thinking of using a different color scheme for that one. I thought of a space camouflage scheme and jotted down some sketches of what I thought it might look like. I will have to go back into my notes and see if I can find that information.
The tail cone and nose cone are just fitted here for a more complete view.
The tail cone and nose cone are just fitted here for a more complete view.
Zarconian Cruiser almost finished.JPG (620.31 KiB) Viewed 45435 times
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#23 Re: My first skill level five rocket

Post by Commander »

A few more pictures...
Zarconian Cruiser aft view.JPG
Zarconian Cruiser aft view.JPG (451.24 KiB) Viewed 45433 times
Zarconian Cruiser aft left oblique.JPG
Zarconian Cruiser aft left oblique.JPG (373.34 KiB) Viewed 45433 times
Zarconian Cruiser right oblique.JPG
Zarconian Cruiser right oblique.JPG (308.64 KiB) Viewed 45433 times
Zarconian Cruiser aft left oblique.JPG
Zarconian Cruiser aft left oblique.JPG (373.34 KiB) Viewed 45433 times
Zarconian Cruiser aft right oblique.JPG
Zarconian Cruiser aft right oblique.JPG (336.31 KiB) Viewed 45433 times
Attachments
Zarconian Cruiser  left oblique.JPG
Zarconian Cruiser left oblique.JPG (320.72 KiB) Viewed 45433 times
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#24 Re: My first skill level five rocket

Post by Commander »

It's been a long time coming almost over 4 years, And I now have my first 5th level rocket near completion. I look forward to taking it out launching it and recovering it. Don't know why this matters to me, as I have built and launched plenty of rockets over the years, but to finally attain the master level as a rocketeer just kind of adds the finishing touch. I should say that it puts the finishing touch on as a model rocketeer, because nowadays we all know that the next step is to get your level one, then your level 2, then you're level 3 certifications. If I were to take this to this ultimate conclusion I suppose I ought to build a rocket that I could climb into and launch myself into space. Somehow I don't think that's going to happen.
Maybe one day my wife or one of my kids will take my urn full of ashes, stick it into a rocket that I've built and launch it into an orbit where it can burn up on reentry after 6 months or so. Of course our government will probably find something wrong with that and nix the idea, but I figure 3 or 4 stages with M Motors might be able to just do enough to keep my remains just high enough for an orbit or two. anyone know the average weight of cremation remains so I can calc it in open rocket?
Xarconian Cruiser ready for primer
Xarconian Cruiser ready for primer
top view.JPG (543.38 KiB) Viewed 45404 times
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#25 Re: My first skill level five rocket

Post by Commander »

One coat of sandable filler primer, a lot of sanding, and now a coat of black primer and we are getting closer.
Xarconian Cruiser in black primer.JPG
Xarconian Cruiser in black primer.JPG (588.99 KiB) Viewed 45384 times
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#27 Re: My first skill level five rocket

Post by Commander »

Rocket Babe wrote: Sat, 29 Feb 20, 04:02 am Cool! :~salud:

What will you fly it on? :?:
I am tempted, since I fly in the city right now, to try a B6-2, but the paperwork says C6-3. If I had the room, I think I might really like trying it on a Quest C12-4 or -6. My usual launch site has been closed.
In 2015, the City of Cleveland stopped issuing permits for events and sports at Clark Field so soil testing could be undertaken in preparation for additional park upgrades. Unfortunately, EPA tests revealed that several areas required soil reclamation—a slow and costly process. Consequently, the flow of traffic and events slowed significantly. Tests continue as of this writing. However, members of Friends of Clark Field are confident that—once remediation efforts are completed, the master plan fully implemented, and the Towpath Trail completed—Clark Field will reclaim and most likely exceed the significant progress achieved in the previous one and a half decades.
:arrow:

Last year, the site was closed for the reclamation effort.
By: Jordan Vandenberge
CLEVELAND — Years after a popular park in Cleveland’s Tremont neighborhood was closed due to toxic contaminants being discovered in the soil, environmental remediation is finally underway at Clark Field. The multi-million dollar cleanup effort being undertaken by the United States Environmental Protection Agency involves placing two feet of clean soil on top of the existing soil in the 42-acre park.
I have two problems with this:

1) After the work is finished, I am sure there will be (at least for a short while) a lot of attention placed on the area. Just how happy they will be with a "crazy rocketeer" using their pristine fields for model rocketry is a question to be found out in the future.
2)
A spokesperson for the EPA could not provide a projected completion date for the remediation because it will be impacted by weather and, most importantly, available funding.
We'll just have to cross our fingers and hope for all the funding to fall into place.

So, in the meantime, I have visited some areas I think I can launch from and until I have reliable transportation to the local club sites, I think just going with the C6-3 is my must logical bet.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#28 Re: My first skill level five rocket

Post by Commander »

My OCD is getting the better of me. I've laid down an additional layer of gray filler primer and am sanding it right now. I've noticed some minor flaws in the fillets. Even though I used the Titebond mold and trim glue, in the fillets between tubes I have some minor holes. There are some other minor flaws and I just keep sanding, sanding, sanding. Eventually there comes a point, as with the Mars Snooper when I will say enough is enough and just finish the rocket. I just need to get to that point a lot earlier.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#29 Re: My first skill level five rocket

Post by luke strawwalker »

TMTG likes thin fillets; if you put it on too thick it makes voids and holes. You need to do two thin fillets to build up the fillets rather than one thick one...

Later! OL J R
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#30 Re: My first skill level five rocket

Post by Commander »

latest pics
101_1396.JPG
101_1396.JPG (517.28 KiB) Viewed 42999 times
101_1397.JPG
101_1397.JPG (551.1 KiB) Viewed 42999 times
Commander
Starport Sagitta