Astro Cam Rehab

All to often a mishap occurs and a rocket gets damaged. Find simple (and not so simple) techniques to get the bird back in the air.
bernomatic
Site Admin

Astro Cam Rehab

Post #31 by bernomatic » Mon, 23 May 16, 01:41 am

This Thread appeared originally on the old Sagitta Cantina forum. It is being resurrected to not only finish the project, but see post 15 for an additional reason

posted Jan 12, 2016 by bernomatic
So last weekend I was working on the new Rocket Bunker, clearing out an old closet when I came across something interesting I had seen in a while. It was an old Astrocam from around the turn of the century (sounds really old now, doesn't it?)

This thread may run on for a bit more than a first aid treatment on a rocket, but will hopefully use some procedures you can use in similar or maybe even different situations.

The patient presented in two parts, the nose cone and the rest of the body, the shock cord having long ago disintegrating.

We will cover the Nose Cone first (since I have some pictures already taken).

We can see the Nose Cone covered in some foreign substance. It is hard and brittle and portions fleck of the Nose Cone while other portions are more resistant to attempts to dislodge it. A history of the nose cone is articulated by the patient, and we discover that many years ago when it was being utilized, the Nose Cone had suffered a few hard landings and it's seems had partially given way. To prevent light from seeping in and exposing the film frames, Duct Tape had been run along all seams to keep the light out. Also, in an attempt to keep dust off the mirror and keep from scratching same, the forward part of the housing for the mirror had been taped off using masking tape (obviously different form of residue is visible on the mirror housing. All parts seem to be intact with the exception of one, the shutter closure mechanism seems to be missing.

PC290001A.jpg
PC290001A.jpg (507.66 KiB) Viewed 495 times

PC290002A.jpg
PC290002A.jpg (148.06 KiB) Viewed 495 times

PC290003A.jpg
PC290003A.jpg (149.57 KiB) Viewed 495 times

PC290004A.jpg
PC290004A.jpg (72.44 KiB) Viewed 495 times

[Last edited Jan 12, 2016]
Last edited by bernomatic on Tue, 19 Sep 17, 01:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Photo Bucket Picture Replacement
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer

bernomatic
Site Admin

Re: Astro Cam Rehab

Post #33 by bernomatic » Tue, 07 Mar 17, 23:37 pm

I still need the shutter closure piece to make it fully operable. While the closure isn't used in the picture taking, it helps with keeping film from getting accidentally exposed. If someone has one available, I think I could mold it and return the piece (in under six months no less :lol:).

Other than that, I still have to attach a shock cord. I'm wondering if I should just go original tri-fold method or use a more recent concept.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer