The CW strikes again

Reviews, Comments and Information on new Science Fiction, Fantasy or other interesting TV shows, Films, Books, Radio Pays, etc.
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#11 Re: The CW strikes again

Post by luke strawwalker »

Rocket Babe wrote: Sun, 27 Jan 19, 20:01 pm We stopped watching Sy-fy :pukex2: the moment the last new show of BSG was over. Haven't missed it. I made the mistake once of stopping on it while channel surfing and saw 30 seconds of the first Sharknado. NEVER AGAIN! :puke:

There's another channel called Comet that runs a lot of 50's-80's stuff and I will watch that once in a blue moon.
Comet, eh?? Is that on DirecTV, or is that one of the new "broadcast stations" like Antenna TV, Heroes and Icons (H&I), etc??

Honestly if it weren't for "Vikings", RFD-TV, and NASA TV I'd just drop DirecTV and keep my money in my pocket. What SUPREMELY p!sses me off now is that the PAY TV (satellite/cable) are now COMPLETELY overrun by COMMERCIALS, mostly for dope peddlers (scrips) and insurance... and of course ambulance chasers (now doing all the "class action" suits against the dope peddlers). Sick to death of ALL those SOB's... Tell me again WHY we're paying $40-something bucks a month for TV that we're INUNDATED with commercials on?? (Most of their commercial breaks are now 4 minutes... I don't watch hardly ANYTHING in "real time" because of that-- I REFUSE to watch all those D@MN commercials, so I just DVR everything and hit the skip button 8 times when the commercials start...) When they broadcast a movie, it's practically unwatchable because they'll carve a movie down to about 90 minutes of run time (or a 90 minute movie down to about 1:10 or 1:15 or so) and then take THREE DAMN HOURS to show the thing, because it starts off 10 minutes of movie, then 4 minutes of commercials, and as the movie goes on, they basically invert that, so that by the ending, you see about 3-4 minutes of the movie, and then they stop for about 6-8 minutes of commercials. RIDICULOUS. For all the advertising revenue they're getting, DirecTV shouldn't be over about $10 a month, just enough to cover their hardware...

Course, Betty was ready to dump them awhile back... she called them and had them "thin the herd" and carve the package back because they were up over $100 a month and we weren't paying it, particularly since we basically watch more on DVD and streaming than we do on DirecTV now anyway... They backpedaled so fast it would make your head spin-- cut us to about $40 a month so we wouldn't dump them. Course they've "cut the price" before and then ratcheted it back up, so we'll see... next time they do, they're gone.

I *finally* watched the "new" BSG on Netflix a couple years ago. I wasn't impressed. I had seen just enough of it during it's first run to go "WTF is this??" and then dismissed it like many ORIGINAL BSG fans did as "Melrose Place in space". Basically it was. Trying to be cool, clever, witty, and "DARK AND GRITTY", which it was an interesting twist on the idea behind BSG, but it was NOT anything remotely like the CLASSIC BSG. More like a Twilight Zone episode version of it. Saw it once, it was "okay" (IMHO) I can go without ever seeing it again. Left me "MEH!"...

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#12 Re: The CW strikes again

Post by Rocket Babe »

I'm not sure where you can find Comet except to say it's a subchannel of our local CW venue at 21.3.

I get it over the air. If you g to their website it tells you where to find them locally.
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#13 Re: The CW strikes again

Rocket Babe wrote: Wed, 30 Jan 19, 21:36 pm I'm not sure where you can find Comet except to say it's a subchannel of our local CW venue at 21.3.

I get it over the air. If you g to their website it tells you where to find them locally.
Cool... thanks...

Sorta like "Me TV"...

Ya know, I LIKE those new broadcast channels... old shows, true, but SO MUCH BETTER than the claptrap they put on network TV (and satellite/cable) nowdays...

Thanks for the tip!

Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#14 Re: The CW strikes again

Post by Rocket Babe »

Yep, we get Me-TV on local 13.1 over the air. 8-)

Until about a year ago I didn't realize how many sub-channels the local stations have. :shock: We still have Dish but probably not for much longer. Mostly we watch Perry Mason and a couple of other OLD shows from childhood. Occasionally we'll watch something on Netflix.

GRIT is pretty good for old cowboy movies. :D
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#15 Re: The CW strikes again

Rocket Babe wrote: Thu, 31 Jan 19, 18:43 pm Yep, we get Me-TV on local 13.1 over the air. 8-)

Until about a year ago I didn't realize how many sub-channels the local stations have. :shock: We still have Dish but probably not for much longer. Mostly we watch Perry Mason and a couple of other OLD shows from childhood. Occasionally we'll watch something on Netflix.

GRIT is pretty good for old cowboy movies. :D
Yep we watch more "old TV" (mainly from the 70's and 80's... guess I'm old LOL:) like "The A-Team", Airwolf, Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazzard, etc. Right now we're watching season 4 of "CHiPs" on DVD... we watched seasons 1-4 of "The Rockford Files" a few months back on Amazon Fire Stick TV... (streaming). It's pretty good; better selection than satellite, but I still get a little PO'd with Hulu and Netflix... seems soon as I get interested in something, it disappears... for instance, I was halfway through season 2 of "EMERGENCY!" and it disappeared! Same thing happened with "Space:1999". "Hawaii Five-Oh" and a lot of the other old shows are on CBS All-Access streaming service, and I'm not thrilled with subscribing to them to get access... think I'd rather just buy the DVD's. Not crazy on "pay" streaming stuff and DEFINITELY not "buy it on streaming for $4.99" or whatever-- Sure, it's there now, until it's not. That would really tick me off. If I gotta pay to "buy" it on streaming from them, I'd rather just buy the friggin' DVD disks and then I've got it forever.

I don't really care for ANYTHING that CBS has put out in the last 2 decades, so why do I want to PAY them for the decent shows they had from 30-40 years ago (or more)? Its like the dirty deal they have with Netflix to do "Star Trek Discovery"; Netflix is footing half the bill to make the show, and Netflix can show it on their service *OUTSIDE THE US*, meaning *anywhere else in the world BUT the US*... in the US, you MUST buy a subscription to CBS All Access to see the show, and I don't like strong-arm crap like that.

Course, from everything I've seen, heard, and read, it's a really crummy show anyway... Everything I've read has said, "Watch 'The Orville', because it's WAY more "Star Trek" than THIS CRAP!!"

Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#16 Re: The CW strikes again

Post by Rocket Babe »

I was so NOT impressed with Discovery I couldn't finish the first episode. :pukex2: :pukex2: :pukex2:
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#17 Re: The CW strikes again

Rocket Babe wrote: Fri, 01 Feb 19, 19:37 pm I was so NOT impressed with Discovery I couldn't finish the first episode. :pukex2: :pukex2: :pukex2:
I see they're selling the first season on DVD at Wally-World when I was in there today getting a tire fixed on the van...

LOL:) Didn't see them selling any though LOL:) I sure wasn't spending $24.99 or whatever on it... might pick one up when they end up in the $1 bin...

Course, might not, too... from EVERYTHING I've heard from anybody worth listening to (ie not a raving lunatic, given their opinions on other things) it's so awful that it would just literally make an "old time" Star Trek fan just mad and frustrated to see what they've done to "Star Trek". I don't need that kind of aggravation.

If they'd have been SMART, they'd have hired on the crew that did "Star Trek Continues" and turned them loose... that was the best "Trek" I've seen since TNG finished up... For the movies, they should have hired on the crew doing "Axanar" and turned them loose to do their thing... "Axanar" looked a HUNDRED TIMES BETTER than **ANYTHING** to come out of the studios since the whole "Kelvin timeline" crap started... I WILL NOT WASTE TIME OR MONEY going to another Star Trek picture until they get rid of the idiot hacks sh!tting all over Trek and actually make something worth watching again. Feel about the same with the new Star Wars films, PARTICULARLY after the ABSOLUTE RUBBISH that was "The Last Jedi". I saw SOLO and enjoyed it (more or less, though I wasn't crazy about it... "Qi'ra" certainly helped that movie along) but after TLJ, unless they take a MAJOR U-TURN that I don't see happening, I don't think I'll even waste time or money going to see the next "main" SW film...

All I can say about modern "Hollyweird" stuff is, "Thank GOODNESS we have DVD's of the old stuff!"

Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#18 Re: The CW strikes again

Post by Rocket Babe »

Don't like what they're doing with ST. :puke:
Don't need the far left sermonizing liberalism. :pukex2:
Don't like anything after the ORIGINAL 3 SW movies. :pukex2: :pukex2: :pukex2:

As for all the other CW/ Netflix remakes Batwoman, Batbrains, Batfeces, Archie, Buffy, etc. etc. etc. :pukex2: it's all the same puke. :pukex2:
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#19 Re: The CW strikes again

Rocket Babe wrote: Sat, 02 Feb 19, 00:47 am Don't like what they're doing with ST. :puke:
Don't need the far left sermonizing liberalism. :pukex2:
Don't like anything after the ORIGINAL 3 SW movies. :pukex2: :pukex2: :pukex2:

As for all the other CW/ Netflix remakes Batwoman, Batbrains, Batfeces, Archie, Buffy, etc. etc. etc. :pukex2: it's all the same puke. :pukex2:
Yawp... agree completely.

Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#20 Re: The CW strikes again

Post by Commander »

Wasn't a big fan of all the hype even for the original SW films, of course I didn't even really see them till after my children were born in the 90's. :shock:

I was way more of a ST fan. Then the first film came out and I was like, well shall we say, less than impressed. Fortunately they got Wrath of Kahn right and that saved me from just becoming a B movie junkie.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971