Next time you hear or see a sensational story, check this

Reviews, Comments and Information on new Science Fiction, Fantasy or other interesting TV shows, Films, Books, Radio Pays, etc.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1 Next time you hear or see a sensational story, check this

Post by bernomatic »

I almost fell for it. A new sensational story line regarding the ineptitude of the Biden administration and our government in general.

I was watching the April 9, 2021 installment of the Dan Bongino pod-cast. Dan does a good job of dealing with current "progressive" misinformation. However, I have caught him a couple of times reporting his own tall tales. Today was one of them.

In a move reminiscent of a mainstream media mind game, Dan spoke of a Washington Examiner artcle with the following headline, "TSA allowing illegal migrants to fly without proper documents". Wanting to post such news here in the Cantina, I went in search of the original article. I happened to have a web page open for a different Washington Examiner article and just searched for the headline, to no avail, at least in the first couple of resulting pages. I then tried searching by the articles author name, with the same none results. Not being deterred, I used duck duck go search engine on a new tab and finally got a result.

Clicking on the supplied link, I was surprised to fin that yes, it did go to the Washington Examiner's website and, yes, it was one of their articles, but, It was from almost two years ago. The byline date on the article was June 6, 2019. Funny, I think someone else was in charge of the TSA on that date. :roll: :oops:

Everyone here knows, or would know if they had read some of my political posts, that I hold mostly conservative values with maybe a dash of libertarian thrown in. It may be that Mr. Bongino was unaware of the date of the article, or he may have been using a "rules for radicals" item against them. In my opinion however :cc: not being aware of the date of the article is sloppy research in the least, and can come back to bite us at the worst.

As mentioned, I have seen this tactic used by both sides, especially in posts on Facebook. Don't fall for it.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#2 Re: Next time you hear or see a sensational story, check this

Post by Rocket Babe »

There are laws that can't be denied or exempted by Executive Order that would prevent it from happening. :evil:
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Re: Next time you hear or see a sensational story, check this

Post by bernomatic »

Rocket Babe wrote: Sun, 11 Apr 21, 18:54 pm There are laws that can't be denied or exempted by Executive Order that would prevent it from happening. :evil:
While this may be true, the laws can be ignored by a prosecutor or law enforcement, or by influence of executive branch heads.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Re: Next time you hear or see a sensational story, check this

Post by bernomatic »

To be honest Verna, I didn't go on to read the article once I found out it was from almost two years ago. I know that you work for TSA and I don't mean to malign you or any of the other agents. The point is that the article was from the Trump administration years. whether the policies mentioned are still followed or have subsequently been changed is not clear.
The last paragraph of the article states...
TSA issued an additional statement after publication.

“All travelers are required to provide proper documentation prior to flying. CBP, ICE and TSA have been working together for years, ensuring that those who are leaving detention facilities are provided with the proper documentation, or given additional information about proper documentation at that time," a TSA spokesperson said in an email. "TSA has always had protocols in place for those that are unable to produce documentation and need to travel. However, we expect the vast majority of travelers to appear with one of the documents listed on our website."
What the current (April 12, 2021) regulations are you would know better than any of us. My reason in posting this was not, NOT get into what exactly TSA is doing, which is why I didn't post the link to the article, but to mention the annoying habit certain vloggers and people sharing particular articles on Facebook have unknowingly been practicing.

It doesn't matter which side of the argument you are on, take a look to see how current the information you are sharing is and whether or not it is still pertinent.

:arrow: Washington Examiner Article 6/6/2019
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#5 Re: Next time you hear or see a sensational story, check this

Post by Rocket Babe »

I understand your point and I'm not a lawyer. I do know our procedures and was only pointing out no president can summarily dismiss or exempt any law under normal conditions. It might be possible in a national emergency. I know FEMA can temporarily suspend the Constitution in some cases but it requires proof of extreme circumstances, not mere convenience of the president. AFAIK we're still a Republic, not a dictatorship, but I could be wrong. Biden seems to think he's Caesar.