Helps- Dedicated to SSgt. Ray Bushnell

bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1 Helps- Dedicated to SSgt. Ray Bushnell

Post by bernomatic »

originally posted Jun 13, 2015 by Commander on the original Cantina
Growing up in the 60's and 70's, military men (and women) often did not get the respect and gratitude they deserved. I lived in Lakewood, Ohio (birthplace of Teri Garr BTW) a suburb of Cleveland. In Lakewood, that bastion of liberalism, was an Ohio National Guard Armory, right on my own street. The units that used that Armory changed through the years, but included the 37th Signal Corps, the last vestige of the Ohio 37th Infantry Brigade (The Buckeyes). But when it all boiled down toward the end, the last unit to occupy the Armory was the 3rd Batt. 107th Armored Cav. Staff Sargent Ray Bushnell was an "orderly" (I can't remember the official title all these years later), although his position in the unit was Supply Sargent.
The "orderlies" were the members of the National Guard who came in on a daily basis (like a regular job) and took care of the paperwork and what not of the unit. One of the extra "duties" they could perform was to be in charge when the Armory hall was rented out. Through the years of hanging around and making nuisances of ourselves, some of us neighborhood kids got to know the orderlies and would come visit with them during these rentals. Sometimes it was a way to pick up some extra money by assisting with the cleanup and break down of tables and chairs after the event.
Ray was unique in that when he came in to do the events, he would often bring in his plastic model kits (airplanes for the most part) and work on them to pass the time. He was one of those modelers who went above and beyond creating works of art and realism I could only dream of attaining. Through the months, I was shown and picked up on certain tricks in model building from him.
I lost touch with Ray in the early 80's when the government closed and sold the Armory. The last I heard he had transferred to the Ohio Air National Guard. But I still remember and use some of the knowledge he passed to me and will pass some of it on here and hope others would add their knowledge also in respect to their mentors.
[Last edited Sep 05, 2015]
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Re: Helps- Dedicated to SSgt. Ray Bushnell

Post by bernomatic »

bernomatic said Jun 13, 2015
Putty

One of the things Ray showed me over 40 years ago (damn, how time flies) was how to be frugal. To that end, he would use the Bondo Spot Putty instead of the Squadron versions which did (and still do) came in smaller tubes at vastly greater price.

It works pretty much the same and can be thinned with lacquer thinner or acetone.
I put a little in the bottom of a PAPER Dixie cup and thin to the consistency I need.

Make sure it is a paper cup, in difference to Toby Keith, this is not the place for a red Solo cup. The thinner will eat the bottom out of the cup and a large mess will be made.

[Last edited Jun 14, 2015]
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Re: Helps- Dedicated to SSgt. Ray Bushnell

Post by bernomatic »

luke-strawwalker said Jun 13, 2015
Yep... Second that... BGSP is good stuff... Great story BTW...

Later! OL JR
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Re: Helps- Dedicated to SSgt. Ray Bushnell

Post by bernomatic »

bernomatic said Jun 14, 2015
Sometimes, walking in the office, I would be greeted by this sight.
tape forehead.jpg
tape forehead.jpg (208.93 KiB) Viewed 10237 times
Yes, a forehead with masking tape on it. The adhesive on a lot of masking tapes is too strong for some applications in model painting. Applying the tape to the forehead "goops" up the adhesive just enough to keep the adhesive from pulling up the first layer.
Last edited by bernomatic on Sun, 03 Sep 17, 03:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: picture replaced from photobucket
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Re: Helps- Dedicated to SSgt. Ray Bushnell

Post by bernomatic »

Commander said Jun 17, 2015
Paint thinner.jpg
Paint thinner.jpg (178.92 KiB) Viewed 9421 times
Remember as a youngster thinking there was something special about that small bottle of paint thinner for your model paints? I do. Then "Bush" set me straight so that I didn't waste my change at the local Hobby Store. I still want to try and be frugal and buy a smaller bottle , especially for the dope, but I know it isn't frugal at all and just need to plop the extra bucks down up front. I find that clean up isn't so much of a pain either since I'm not trying to use just enough to get the job done.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971

Since I was in here editing the picture, i thought I would add this.
Thing is it doesn't have to be gallon size also, you will save a bunch even getting just the smaller quart size and for those really into the artistic endeavors, there are five gallon containers.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Re: Helps- Dedicated to SSgt. Ray Bushnell

Post by bernomatic »

Commander said Jun 30, 2015
I occasion I would enter the duty office to see Bush painting one of his models a weird color. Like a pink panzer (ok actually salmon) or a purple P-51. No, he wasn't going over the top from agent orange (although he did serve in 'nam during that time frame). What he was doing, in his frugal way was finding out were he needed to sand some more.

Everybody has a color that they needed for just one section of a rocket or a nose cone or something along those lines. You are now left with a half to almost full can of that paint. Well, let's put it to use instead of letting it sit there for years gathering dust and putting a rust ring on the shelf.

When you come to the point in your sanding were you are not sure if you have gotten everything, just pull out your can of off color paint and give the area a shot or two. After sanding down again, you can use a primer this time or maybe a different off color. This way you are using less primer. An added benefit is the ability to tell by the different colors which layer you have sanded down to and when it may be time to ease up or risk sanding the part bare.

<<images lost>>

[Last edited Jun 30, 2015]
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Re: Helps- Dedicated to SSgt. Ray Bushnell

Post by bernomatic »

Commander said Jan 02, 2016
I typically save all my receipts from shopping dumping them on the desk till sometime in the future I send them through the shredder. I have come up with a use for them while they wait for their ultimate doom.

While working on the Der Red Max I received from my Secret Santa at work, I had a fin misalignment and had to take one fin off to reset it. The initial guide line was off just a touch and I wanted to realign it to midway between the other two attached fins. Now usually I would cut a strip of paper and wrap it around the tube and make a new alignment guide. Because I have been moving bit by bit from the former Rocket Room (now the wife's College Study Area) to the Rocket Bunker, I did not have any paper available, or so I thought. On the table was a receipt from a recent trip to Wally Mart. With the added junk on the receipt (which makes buying two or three items a half mile long receipt now-a-days) I had more than enough paper to wrap around the tube and make my marks.

Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#8 Talcum powder on your sandpaper

Post by Commander »

I have heard elsewhere on the web that applying talcum powder to your sand paper before sanding helps keep the material from clogging the grit on the sandpaper. I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this and tried it? Obviously it will not work with wet sanding.

Being cheap, I substituted baby powder, so your mileage may vary.

On the limited times I have tried it, when working with plain wood, I have noticed a difference, especially with my power sanders.

When working with primered surfaces, not so much. I have noticed that the clogging primer is brushed off more readily however. I was using rattle can Rustoleum Filler Primer which is a high build primer and only had about a day to dry. I mention the time allowance as some will say that particular primer needs about a week of drying time before sanding. A little hyperbole, but realistically, it needs more than a day.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#9 Re: Helps- Dedicated to SSgt. Ray Bushnell

Post by Rocket Babe »

That is all very interesting and since you mentioned Cleveland, Randy wanted me to ask if you ever visited a local establishment called, "Juicy Lucy's" in your younger days? ;)
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#10 Re: Helps- Dedicated to SSgt. Ray Bushnell

Post by Commander »

Sounds titillating, but no. :twisted:

There is a Juicy Lucy women's clothing Store on the other side of town which I haven't visited either. :P
Juicy Lucy Inc
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971