Buying new tools

From Sandpaper blocks to 3D printers, what is helpful and what is a waste of money
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1 Buying new tools

Post by bernomatic »

I've just returned from Habor Freight where I bought a 8" benchtop drill press on sale fopr $70. I know there were projects I wanted needed a drill press for, but suddenly the things have eluded me. :? I am sure that I will use it in the future, and it was only $70, but I find myself once again making that empty promise I always make after buying a new tool.

"OK that's it, I don't need any other tools, I will start saving the money."

Sound familiar? :lol:
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
Joe Wooten
Space Lieutenant
Space Lieutenant

#2 Re: Buying new tools

Post by Joe Wooten »

Yup!!

VERY familiar.....
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Re: Buying new tools

Post by bernomatic »

Here's a thought on the idea....

How to be a Better Woodworker
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Re: Buying new tools

Post by bernomatic »

Well, two months later, and no, I did not get a new tool, per se. However, my air compressor bit the dust. So, out to Harbor Freight I drove and had to get a larger, more powerful one to replace it.

I now have a 2.5 horsepower 10 gallon, 125 (max.) PSI air compressor to replace the 3 gallon, 110psi (unknown hp) I was using for air brushing.

Of course the more power and capacity you have, the more things you use it for. At least that's what I told the Mrs.
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#5 Re: Buying new tools

Post by luke strawwalker »

True...

Hope you got an oil-type (piston type)... the "oilless" compressors (which usually have a short-throw free-floating "piston" attached to a sort of metallic "bellows" in lieu of a piston and cylinder) simply DO NOT hold up as long as a conventional piston-in-cylinder "oil type" belt driven compressor. YES, they are MORE EXPENSIVE, BUT, the additional lifetime MORE than makes up for any savings in up-front costs...

I've had BOTH and I'll NEVER buy an "oilless" compressor again, except for the little "throw-away" types you can typically get at Walmart or Harbor Fright for less than $100 bucks... like the "cigarette lighter" type plug-in compressors you keep in your car. I made the mistake of replacing my old Ford portable piston compressor in the farm shop with a somewhat larger (and much more airflow at slightly higher pressure (110-115 PSI vs. 100 PSI) Sears Craftsman "oilless" compressor and it didn't last but a little over a year and the bellows was shot-- "slung a rod" and parts to fix it would have been more expensive than replacing it. The old Ford belt-driven compressor it replaced had been operating in HD conditions for about 15 years, and is STILL operating from time to time at the Shiner place (when I need to air up a tire). I did work with that compressor that would have melted down an oilless many times over... I replaced the Craftsman with a large TSC upright two-cylinder 220 volt compressor in the shop and plumbed air lines and quick-connects around where I needed them (with PVC pipe which I subsequently learned is a no-no-- use the black poly tubing or push-connector plastic fittings and tubing instead for safety reasons).

Later and best of luck! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
djensenevSiz

#6 Buying new tools

Post by djensenevSiz »

I didnt do anything to my computer nor the GUI tools..I just updated with the new revision and GUI tools were not working anymore..