Apogee Components Customer Service

Anything Rocketry related from NASA, RUSSIAN FEDERAL SPACE AGENCY, Fantasy & Sci Fi
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#11 Apogee Components Customer Service

Post by tmacklin »

Perhaps TVM comes off as a prick when he is repeatedly forced to justify his prices? That can get old in a hurry especially if you're having a bad hair day. My standard response to pricing inquiries goes something like this:

"Not enough and none of your damned business!" Then again, I'm tactless. ;)
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#12 Re: Apogee Components Customer Service

Post by luke strawwalker »

tmacklin wrote:Perhaps TVM comes off as a prick when he is repeatedly forced to justify his prices? That can get old in a hurry especially if you're having a bad hair day. My standard response to pricing inquiries goes something like this:

"Not enough and none of your damned business!" Then again, I'm tactless. ;)
Perhaps; I know I've had somewhat of a similar response when I had hay customers incessantly trying to jew me down...

One guy called me to come look at his place-- wanted it cut for hay. I get over there mostly weeds, lots of dead standing dry crap, poor quality grass, and weeds. He shows me around in his pickup then asks me "how much?"

"Eighteen bucks a roll for cut, rake, and bale. I'll move them to the edge of the field as a courtesy if you like, no further".

"WHAT??" the guy says... "I can buy fertilized Jiggs bermudagrass hay for $20 a roll delivered... "

Without missing a beat I say, "Then what did you call me for?? That sounds like a hell of a deal, better run with it. It is what it is and that's what I charge (most guys were getting 20-25 a roll to cut rake and bale, so I was actually working cheap). I know what it costs me to do the job (shrugs)... If you want me to do it, that's what it is."

He called me back the next day and agreed.

What the guy was doing was, he wanted the weeds and crap taken off the field to clean it up so fresh green grass (tender young stuff) could grow in in its place. He could have achieved much the same thing having it bush-hogged, BUT, he didn't want to spend $20 an acre having it bush-hogged and have NOTHING to show for it. Having it cut for hay, even really SHITTY low-quality hay full of crap, would at least have SOMETHING to show for the expense of having the work done, yet still achieve (actually better) results (since a hay mower cuts cleaner than a bush-hog shredder) that he desired on the pasture.

So I can understand that about "justifying prices".

Here's the thing though-- that WASN'T WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT. Tim has made offhand comments in the past in articles about his pricing structure and business model, and it's "take it or leave it" and he's not interested in handing out freebies to clubs and stuff for "door prizes" because any "advertising value" isn't worth the value of the product in his eyes, or any "PR value" isn't worth the cost of the product, so he doesn't do that. Cest les vis, that's his right.

I was talking more about shitty comments made to a customer (me) having problems with a product I just bought from him, and comments he's made about customers reading his newsletter or watching his videos and not buying from him because they can get it cheaper elsewhere. While that is probably somewhat hypocritical, at the same time Tim's comments are too-- IMHO a vendor has no room to complain about people going elsewhere for the cheapest price if they're not willing to provide the cheapest price. Not saying he SHOULD give the cheapest price-- NOT AT ALL-- just saying, "don't bitch if folks go looking for cheaper prices elsewhere and buy from them!"

I didn't particularly care where the guy got his hay; If I couldn't bale it for him FOR A PROFIT, what the hell would I even want with the damn job?? The only thing WORSE than NO DEAL is a BAD DEAL. Farming is often "going in the hole" enough as it is, from things BEYOND my/your control-- DELIBERATELY taking on something "below cost" is just ABJECT STUPIDITY! I wasn't going there.... but NEITHER was I pissed if the guy DID take his money elsewhere... actually in terms of value, he'd have been BETTER OFF buying the fertilized Jiggs hay rather than paying me to bale dry grass and sticks... BUT, that wouldn't have achieved the goal he was REALLY after-- to clean the pasture up of dry grass and sticks! Only a bush-hog mower or having the field cut/raked/baled for hay could achieve that... and hey, I wasn't gonna be pissed if he went down the road and hired some guy with big batwing shredder and cab tractor to come shred it all either... I KNEW what that costs and that's why he called me...

Anyway, I like Tim, but some of the things he says and does just really leave me shaking my head... course it's his business he can run it as he likes... And in the end he doesn't give two hoots in hell what I think (or anybody else either so long as he's making money) anyway...

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#13 Re: Apogee Components Customer Service

Post by tmacklin »

Jeff, do you know how copper wire was invented?
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#14 Re: Apogee Components Customer Service

tmacklin wrote:Jeff, do you know how copper wire was invented?
I suppose by someone drawing a piece of copper down thinner and thinner... something like that.

Your point? (Dare I ask?) LOL:)

tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#15 Re: Apogee Components Customer Service

Post by tmacklin »

luke strawwalker wrote:
I suppose by someone drawing a piece of copper down thinner and thinner... something like that.

I was told it was totally by accident...two farmers were fighting over a penny! LOL!
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#16 Re: Apogee Components Customer Service

tmacklin wrote:
luke strawwalker wrote:

I was told it was totally by accident...two farmers were fighting over a penny! LOL!
That's a good one... and probably a little more than the truth...