The meltdown continues...

Scuttlebutt and tall tales
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#11 Re: The meltdown continues...

Post by tmacklin »

I couldn't remember this guy's name nor his company, so I searched my Recycle Bin and found his photo and name.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1437235 ... 932678812/

I also understand his father just passed away. RIP
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#12 Re: The meltdown continues...

Post by tmacklin »

My inherent curiosity has been awakened. Following the names led me here...

http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/Ann ... -Websites/

and that led here...

http://www.managingcommunities.com/2015 ... #more-6189

If this is the group that now controls The Rocketry Forum, they've got bigger problems than heavy handed moderators! :oops:
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#13 Re: The meltdown continues...

Post by tmacklin »

This is kinda spooky.

https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/threa ... 445/page-2

Is this the "Austin" who purchased TRF from Troj, and is this the "Angie" who is currently listed as "Admin" on TRF? (Posts 26 and 27) Why all the secrecy? Maybe somebody should ask Kevin Trojanowski.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WCFUGCOLLU
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Re: The meltdown continues...

Post by bernomatic »

tmacklin wrote:I continue to post on TRF for several reasons. First off, I refuse to be bullied and treated like a stepchild. Secondly, I personally know and have met face to face with a fair number of fellow DARS members who are also frequent posters on TRF. And finally, my occasional postings give Gassaway something else to worry about besides himself. It's my civic duty.

The new owner/s could go a long way to repair the damage they have inflicted upon TRF if they would simply identify themselves by name instead of "Admin" and stop treating the vendors as sheep to be sheared.
It's the nature of the beast, all they bought the site for was to make a buck, no love for rocketry. They probably thought they were going to rake in mega-loads of moola just by advertising. When that didn't happen they escalated the game and started going for the paying members route. Eventually, without truly understanding the animal they were playing with, they devolved to the current level.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#15 Re: The meltdown continues...

Post by Rocket Babe »

While I still check email from time to time and there are some people there I consider friends, I stopped posting long ago. It has changed drastically from the forum I once enjoyed and from what I see it is indeed slowly melting down. There was a time when there was always 4 or more pages of rocketry threads. No more.

At the moment I'm posting this, there is about a page and a half of threads and much of it is silly stuff and I can't attribute the steep decline to vacations, NSL, heat, snow or any factor other than many people are tired of all the garbage and have moved on or moved out. I wish them no ill will but to pretend everything is great or posts are way down due to some seasonal factor, is only fooling yourself. Just because a forum still shows 10,000 members doesn't mean even 1% are still coming there, much less posting.

Reminds me of the old story, The Emperor Has No Clothes.
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#16 Re: The meltdown continues...

Post by tmacklin »

Looks like I've been asking too many questions and got banned. http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread ... ost1710722 Oh well, BFD!

I think it was Groucho Marx who said, "I would never want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#17 Re: The meltdown continues...

Post by bernomatic »

Teddy poking the bear Macklin. :roll: Won't be happy till he joins the likes of those honoured in being banned by TRF.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#18 Re: The meltdown continues...

Post by tmacklin »

bernomatic wrote:Teddy poking the bear Macklin. :roll: Won't be happy till he joins the likes of those honoured in being banned by TRF.
More like poking at a urine ant. What really pissed him (the Admin) off was last night when I copied and pasted the closed thread and asked him what his name was and what was the name of his firm. Maybe you can ask him for me?

:lol:
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#19 Re: The meltdown continues...

Post by Rocket Babe »

I read enough to get the gist and have to say I'm surprised by anyone using someone else's posts, info or photos without asking, especially if there is some potential monetary gain. In today's litigious society it's just plain stupid. It doesn't matter what disclaimer they have on their website stating to use the forum gives then the right, there is no such legal blanket. Anything that can be proven to be original or unique to an individual, that individual has the rights to it, period. If I'm holding the original photos, manuscript and COPYRIGHT in my hands, you don't get to wave a magic wand and claim the material as the owner/ originator.

I think it was Shrox (correct me if I'm wrong) that really had a hard time there about the rights to his materials, photos, art, etc. and that was the clincher for me, not to post there any longer. I had posted a couple of times about our books and a few photos, all of which are protected by filed copyrights. I don't know that they would want to use anything but rather than have to deal with it if it happened I decided it was time to move on.

BTW, we have always allowed ANY rocketry vendors, organizations and those trying to grow the hobby, free access to photos, articles or anything they could use for those efforts, and only ask that anything used be acknowledged appropriately. Darrell Mobley, Dick Stafford, Eric Gates and a few others have routinely done so over the last 20 years and we were always happy to be of help. it's all about how you handle things. If Bernie wanted to use something he doesn't even have to ask and I know he'd acknowledge it.

Just do things the right way.
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#20 Re: The meltdown continues...

Post by tmacklin »

Well said Verna!

Your memory about Shrox being angry about his copyrights being violated is what I remember as well and from what I read on Facebook he is still flabbergasted at the behavior of the new owner/s (Whoever they are?) I have no beef with the any one who decides to run his/her business as they see fit, including running it for profit. But what troubles me most is their total lack of transparency about themselves and their one sided Terms of Service. As for the moderators, they are hirelings doing what they think will serve their master and doing it for free.

Thanks for putting things in their proper perspective.