Photobucket decimates some old threads

Scuttlebutt and tall tales
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1 Photobucket decimates some old threads

Post by bernomatic »

Due to Photobucket getting greedy, some of the older threads which I wrote no longer have some or all of the pictures visible. I have started going through some and replacing the pictures as I can.

This will be a time permitting/availability project. While I believe I have most of the pictures, some may have been pulled from the internet.

If there is anything in particular you would like to be able to see again, please let me know and if possible I will get it up sooner rather than later.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#2 Re: Photobucket decimates some old threads

Post by luke strawwalker »

Yeah, the effects of that were truly devastating on some forums, like the paper modeler's forum, which had an entire multi-page thread dedicated to the subject.

Even from the early days of the internet (at least my early days on it, which wasn't TOO long after it became widespread) I never saw the attraction of using those "pic hosting sites" rather than simply uploading pics directly to the thread in question. True it takes up space on someone's server, BUT, it also has the advantage of never displaying a "broken link" in lieu of a picture... so long as the thread exists, the picture you put there will be there...

That's why I just uploaded ALL my pics in my threads from my own hard drive. Also serves as a handy backup, as if my computer decided to go toe-up, then my pics would still exist in the relevant thread (though on some forums, in a reduced size and/or resolution...)

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#3 Re: Photobucket decimates some old threads

Post by Rocket Babe »

We've always had our own version of the Cloud. Early on we used private Hotmail emails that are never used for anything but storage and mailed our "forever" photos to ourselves. Later, when flash drives came around we saved them to those too, so we have multiples of everything that we never want to lose and of course, we occasionally do prints. I think Randy said there's more than 20,000 so far. Yep, he is always taking photos. Funny thing is, he's probably deleted 50,000 over the years.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Re: Photobucket decimates some old threads

Post by bernomatic »

The old Cantina software did not allow direct uploads to a post, which is why I started using Photo Bucket. When I changed over to the new software, I copied some of the old threads and pasted them into new posts. The link information was just copied and pasted along with the message so everything came out fine, until this. I think I have all the files, it's just on which device. If worse comes to worse, I can download from photo bucket, then upload to the thread.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Re: Photobucket decimates some old threads

Post by bernomatic »

So I notice now the pictures saved on Photobucket are visible. :?: :?: :?:

Is this like some rolling blackout? or if I visit the site and go through the pics does it reset something?

Anyone have any info :? :x
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#6 Re: Photobucket decimates some old threads

Post by luke strawwalker »

bernomatic wrote:So I notice now the pictures saved on Photobucket are visible. :?: :?: :?:

Is this like some rolling blackout? or if I visit the site and go through the pics does it reset something?

Anyone have any info :? :x
Maybe they had SO much backlash and complaints from angry patrons who decided to drop what paying accounts they DID have that they decided that it was a *oops you said word #2-poor idea and reversed it 'back to normal'?

I dunno. Never was a fan of photo hosting sites. I always uploaded my pics directly from my hard drive to the relevant forum thread. Saw WAY too many "broken links" displayed instead of pictures on various forums and sites across the web over the years from people posting stuff from photo hosting sites...

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...