Lathe work... wasted?

Scuttlebutt and tall tales
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#1 Lathe work... wasted?

Post by Commander »

Since I have all this lathe equipment, I figured I would save myself some bucks and practice my lathe skills at the same time. So one of my weekend projects was to turn a handle for a bastard file I bought a month or so ago.

The handle turned out fine, at least if I say so myself. I found an used compression fitting that I used. The problem is that while fitting the tang in the new handle, I smacked the file on the side to loosen it to pull out the file and
Broken file.JPG
Broken file.JPG (48.47 KiB) Viewed 3063 times
:(
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#2 Re: Lathe work... wasted?

Post by luke strawwalker »

Lesson for the day-- don't buy chinese files... LOL:)

Seriously, it's HARD to find good tools nowdays... comes with the throw-away society we have now...

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Re: Lathe work... wasted?

Post by bernomatic »

Wasn't made in China, was made in Mexico and I thought they were supposed to be hard workers.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#4 Re: Lathe work... wasted?

Post by luke strawwalker »

bernomatic wrote:Wasn't made in China, was made in Mexico and I thought they were supposed to be hard workers.
Hard workers, brittle steel... LOL:)

We farmers face this sort of thing ALL the time... bearings, chains, you name it... Chinese and Mexican stuff is cheap, which is why all the manufacturers want to have all their stuff made there... but their metallurgy and heat treating is simply awful... never know if what you're getting is soft as cheese or brittle as glass... seems to be little/no in between.

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...