Happy New Year!

Messages from the Commander about life, the universe and everything.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#1 Happy New Year!

Post by Commander »

Well, whether you are looking forward to the new administration taking office in a couple of weeks or just looking forward to the warmer days of spring and flying weather, the New Year has arrived. The one thing that is a constant in this universe is change. We just have to remember that in our lives we are the catalyst that initiates a majority of the change we encounter, for better or for worse. So this new year why don't we endeavor to try and make some positive changes in our own lives that may affect others we come in contact with. There is a myriad of ways we can evoke a more positive experience for our fellow travelers on this spaceship we call Earth. In one area for me personally, I have lately attempted to use positive feedback to counter the negative attacks. For instance, if the other half says I'm lazy, instead of arguing and/or fighting, I could start the vacuum sweeper and clean while she continues to vent.

Maybe not the best example, but I think you get the idea. So go out there and be positive lights to all you encounter and have a great and bountiful new year.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#2 Re: Happy New Year!

Post by Rocket Babe »

Happy New Year to all!

Let's hope 2017 will be better than 2016.
Joe Wooten
Space Lieutenant
Space Lieutenant

#3 Re: Happy New Year!

Post by Joe Wooten »

Rocket Babe wrote:Happy New Year to all!

Let's hope 2017 will be better than 2016.

I hope so too, but I would not bet on it. The leftoids will start throwing *oops you said word #1 at the fan on January 20th.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#4 Re: Happy New Year!

Post by Commander »

AHEM....

I gather what you meant to say was :)

With our best behavior before us, our political opponents will find us supportive of their endeavors to waste time while we move ahead. :mrgreen:

Hopefully by the time they realize just how much we have left them behind in their self misery, we will have shown such an incredible light to the world, that those opponents will realize that, more and more, the people they are trying to influence are exponentially realizing just how destructive the opponents are and will thus ignore them. 8-)
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Joe Wooten
Space Lieutenant
Space Lieutenant

#5 Re: Happy New Year!

Post by Joe Wooten »

Commander wrote:AHEM....

:oops: :mrgreen:
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#6 Re: Happy New Year!

Post by tmacklin »

Joe Wooten wrote:
Commander wrote:AHEM....

:oops: :mrgreen:
Here, let me help. "When the fit hits the shan." Looks like it's already in progress?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YgJnzqFQv4

Meanwhile, el Presidente remains mute.
Joe Wooten
Space Lieutenant
Space Lieutenant

#7 Re: Happy New Year!

Post by Joe Wooten »

Yeah. The powers-that-be here really stepped up to the plate on denouncing this act.....(/sarc)
Joe Wooten
Space Lieutenant
Space Lieutenant

#8 Re: Happy New Year!

Post by Joe Wooten »

I'm waiting on a bunch to start their predation in the suburbs around here. They're gonna find a warm welcome awaits them.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#9 Re: Happy New Year!

Post by Commander »

I see this thread needs a little steering back on to course. :roll:

In regards to the young man who was abused and humiliated at the hands of four other young people of a different viewpoint (and skin color), my prayers and best wishes for a bright future and healing go out to him.

As for the group who inflicted the harms, may they find the wisdom and serenity during the next thirty years of their life as guests of the government, to understand the wrongs they did and come out with a better attitude towards those who differ from them.

As to whether or not this was a "hate" crime. Of course it was a hate crime. most crime is in one form or another. I would be duplicitous however if I called for the invocation of the particular sentencing guidelines be enacted in this particular case.

Like it or not, this country gives us the freedom of speech. That freedom includes the freedom to not like a person, group or country for whatever reason. To add additional time to a felon's sentence just because he "hated" the victim on some grounds is anathema to this country's ideas. I hate criminals, Could someone with some legislative power not at some future time make that hate included in the hate crimes definition? If I then swore at a home invader and called him a two bit thug, and threw in a couple cuss words in the process, could I not possiblly find myself up on charges because "I hated criminals?"

If we are to be truly free, we must be free to hate also. The issue comes when we act on that hatred. It only comes to a head when I try to impose my will and/or harm you. Then it is a matter of my right to swing my fist ends at your nose.

We already have laws against all the things that happened to that young man, tacking on additional time just because the culprits didn't use rightthink can be folly for our future.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#10 Re: Happy New Year!

Post by luke strawwalker »

I agree, Bernie. When you start to penalize "hate", you start down the slippery slope that entirely depends on WHOM is defining what "hate" is-- what is 'acceptable' and "unacceptable"...

There is VERY little that is considered "acceptable" to modern society that *I* find "acceptable". I don't condone or approve of homosexuality, for instance. I believe people have a right to live as they please, even if *I* don't agree with it, and that's fine... but whom *I* choose to associate with is *my* business. How long until the gubmint "decides" that I don't have the right to have that opinion or act (legally) upon it by not associating with such people??

Once you start down that slope, where does it end?? I have virtually NO faith in our government or its institutions, and want to have nothing more to do with it than absolutely necessary-- how long until the gubmint or someone in it decides that in order to be "good Germans" such attitudes are not permissable, just as the Nazis did??

A crime is a crime, and for those who commit criminal acts, the law is already established to punish them. Punishing someone for "hate crimes" is to criminalize thought or opinion, which is not a slippery slope we want to start down.

But, then again, I don't expect anything more from our current government, which is why I have no faith in it anymore.

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...