One of these days...

Messages from the Commander about life, the universe and everything.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#1 One of these days...

Post by Commander »

I'll have time to do something to completion. But not today, even if I have come closer.

I created an airbrushing booth so I can now spray in the Rocket Bunker and not have to wait till a nice day outside. I have been looking into doing this for a while. Every time I consider it, it is too much effort or time or cost. I originally was going to make it out of wood, all framed and everything. Then I saw one on the web made out of HVAC venting. That was nice, but damn that stuff costs, even if the booth would last a life time. Well recently I was at the orange box store strolling through the aisles letting my mind drift to projects I'd like to accomplish. I was in the plumbing area and thought about some of the things I have seen made with the PVC pipe. :idea: I could make the airbrushing booth out of PVC pipe covered in plastic. I pulled out some receipts out of my pocket and started sketching on the back of them a general idea to see how many and what type couplings I would need. In searching the aisles, of course Home Depot didn't have the couplings I needed in stock.

I came home and started doing some investigating on line, well here was something, they had what they called Furniture PVC and while the couplings were a tad more expensive. I wondered what type of quality and strength the "furniture grade stuff had. When we moved into where we are now, among other things there was a laundry hamper made out of PVC. it was kinda cheap, but it stood about six feet tall, four feet wide and 1 and a half deep. and was dirty having just sit down there all this time..... :idea: :idea:

Well last night I finished cleaning it up, taking off the cloth hamper bags and covering it in Plastic drop cloth. I still have some things to do to it like create an outlet for the old vacuum cleaner and making a shelf out of peg board, but this is going to cost less than 5 bucks when finished.

pictures later
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#2 Re: One of these days...

Post by luke strawwalker »

Nice... OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Re: One of these days...

Post by bernomatic »

Work in progress
Work in progress
IMG_20170228_222959.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 6331 times
I look forward to being able to paint pretty much anytime I want. I may have to get a larger dehumidifier for the basement though. And some sort of filtration system to keep out the dust from this old house. And...

Dam, see what I mean, things just keep escalating. It never seems enough. There's always one more thing to do or buy. One more little item to take care of. One more reason to put the project on hold.
It's funny that GHROCKETMAN and some others want to complain about "vaporware" that never appears. As long as the vendor isn't taking money for pre-sales, let them toot their horn, it may be all the further they can go before the wife says, "ENOUGH!"
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#4 Re: One of these days...

Nice but looks awful small... I think (KNOW in my case, as either I OR the rocket would fit in there, NOT BOTH! LOL:) I would have enlarged it by extending the PVC pipes some and getting more drop cloth...

Later and KUTGW! OL J R :)
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#5 Re: One of these days...

Post by Commander »

1489122873789-1549612911.jpg
1489122873789-1549612911.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 6320 times
That is the USS Andromeda in the new space spray booth. I think the booth has plenty of height. I wasn't planning on being in the booth to do the spray painting. As long as the fan sucked all of the overspray out of the way, I could stand outside and still spray. So far I've had no problems with overspray while painting in the bunker.
Last edited by Commander on Mon, 13 Mar 17, 14:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#6 Re: One of these days...

Okay, cool... I thought it looked rather cramped... :)

Later! OL J R :)
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#7 Re: One of these days...

Post by Commander »

When I first moved in and had the Rocket Room upstairs, I hung plastic drop cloth in a corner and did the stand inside thing. It got way to much of a PIA. Wearing a ventilator, changing clothes, cleaning up the overspray that would settle on the floor so I didn't track it all over the rest of the house. This time I wanted something simpler and hopefully cleaner.

I spent yesterday (Sunday) getting all prepped to do some painting and then never did any :( . It started with the air compressor. There was a slow leak somewhere which would cause the compressor to run every six hours or so if left on. While that is not that bad, I had gotten tired of being reminded at 2 a.m. that I had forgotten to turn the compressor off. :x While cranking down all the joints, somehow the outlet gauges back plate became warped and wouldn't let the needle read past 3 bars. :evil: I had the old little 3 gallon tank which quit running, so I switched out the gauges from that. Of course when I tightened the fitting with the gauge, the dial couldn't be read when it was tight. :twisted: So I took the valve fitting off and cleaned the threads of the tape and was happy I hadn't returned the neighbors joint compound yet.

I then spent even more time running and hanging the hose, air filter and valve and gauge for the air brush to get it over to the spray booth and out of the way. :| By the end of all that I then went to spray the Mars Snooper and noticed the ding in the nozzle. :evil: :twisted: :twisted: Time to call it a day.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#8 Re: One of these days...

How about a paint booth with gloves, like "glove box" or sandblasting box...

Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#9 Re: One of these days...

Post by Commander »

luke strawwalker wrote:How about a paint booth with gloves, like "glove box" or sandblasting box...

An interesting idea!
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#10 Re: One of these days...

Post by Commander »

Some pics of the spray booth, I would say completed, but with this type of project, I don't think it is ever finished. :D
Spray Brush Holder
Spray Brush Holder
IMG_20170318_142924[1].jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 6279 times
I added this airbrush holder by drilling through the side pipe and a larger hole on top for an airbrush holder from an airbrush cleaning jar

Deck and mount
Deck and mount
IMG_20170318_142939[1].jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 6279 times
The deck and mount can either sit on the rails as shown, or for larger birds be dropped down onto the bottom rails.

Air filter
Air filter
IMG_20170318_143126.jpg (454.17 KiB) Viewed 6279 times
This is looking down on the air filter I made. There is a vacuum hose from an old vacuum cleaner passing in from the side on the right into a hole in the back of a piece of particle board. The other side is a piece of peg board with a furnace vent filter in between.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971