Messages from the Commander about life, the universe and everything.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#1 Log in shakedown

Post by Commander »

Once upon a time it was the "favicon", that small icon to the left of the site name on the browser tab, that was supposed to mean the site was up to the snuff and you knew it was "safe". At a small cost, you could get that for your site.

The new shake down from the internet goons is the SSL certificate. While the certificate itself has been around for a while, there has been a push in the past year to get site owners to sign up for one, at a small fee of course. If you don't, well your members won't be safe. At first it was just a little icon in the url bar of a small lock not latched.

Mozilla Firefox has taken it a step further though. Lately when you sign into a site without an SSL certificate, you'll see this:
So how much for this little "peace of mind"? The average cost for a basic cert is around $75-100 a year, with a high from Symantic of $399 per year, and a low from some company with a two out of five star trust level of $8.95 a year and the following small print
* Our Team will install the certificate on your webhosting/server that supports third-party SSLs. In some cases FREE installation is not possible.
SSL configuration for your website to work properly with SSL costs $75
Installation on the hosting/web service that doesn't support SSL costs $99 per year.
Some places, like godaddy have a low introduction price of $55.99 for the first year, which blossoms to $69.99 each year there after.

BTW, none of the rocketry forums I checked have a secure log in.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#2 Re: Log in shakedown

Post by luke strawwalker »

Meh... I wouldn't bother...

The internet will never be "truly" secure anyway.

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...