Happy Independence Day!

Messages from the Commander about life, the universe and everything.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#1 Happy Independence Day!

Post by Commander »

I had a long entry partially written, and it disappeared :o I'll have to redo it and enter it in a bit. I'm wondering if disruptive powers are hacking my posts as this is the second time something like this has happened in the past two days.

Hillary Clinton and her Russian hacker friends are at it again. :shock:
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#2 Re: Happy Independence Day!

Post by Commander »

On this Independence Day as you are enjoying a cookout and reveling in the fireworks, I hope you take some time and think about what this day is about. The founding Fathers didn't refer to it as the Fourth of July, it was Independence Day, the day they formally adopted the declaration.

The Founding Fathers were men of reason and intelligence and while we may consider ourselves more intelligent today, I would hesitate to state we (as a country) are more reasonable. Some would state that the Fathers weren't more reasonable due to their misogyny and stance on slavery, to which I would answer, "how reasonable are your actions going to appear in over two hundred years?"

Sidestepping that rabbit hole, consider as you sip that favorite beverage, that the main thing going occurring on this date was a rejection of excessive government intrusion into the lives of the colonials. It is ironic that some today who would consider themselves more intelligent then those gentlemen, would allow themselves to suffer under obtrusive mandates from a government.

I could list the objections in the Declaration and show how our current government has done the same as the King, but in one, the current government has exceeded anything even remotely imagined back then...
He has erected a multitude of new offices, and sent hither swarms of officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance.
or as Jefferson originally worded it;
he has erected a multitude of new offices by a self-assumed power, and sent hither swarms of officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.
Remember "I have a pen, and I have a phone"? Could that be self-assumed powers? Of course that administration is gone, but how much of the congress that let him get away with that is still here? Or the Supreme Court?

Well enough mental gymnastics for one day. Enjoy the holiday and have one for me! 8-)
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971