Prayers and best wishes for those affected by Hurricane Harvey

Messages from the Commander about life, the universe and everything.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#1 Prayers and best wishes for those affected by Hurricane Harvey

Post by Commander »

I know we have a number of members in the Texas area as well as some of the people I work with at Exacta Land Surveying. I hope you have all come out of this test of faith and strength with good health. My prayers are with you in this time of turmoil and hope that you are back to normal soon.

Remember, no item is as important as your health, even rockets :shock:. As long as you and your family are healthy you can rebuild the rest. On that note however, I have one request. Please look out also for animal kingdom neighbors. They don't get a three day advance warning and trip to the grocery store to prepare. So if the opportunity presents itself, please help.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#2 Re: Prayers and best wishes for those affected by Hurricane Harvey

Post by tmacklin »

Yes, and don't forget that our resident expert on the U.S. Manned Space Program, Jeff Roberts, AKA luke strawwalker, lives right smack dab in the middle of this monstrous storm. Say a prayer for him and everyone else caught in this mess.
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#3 Re: Prayers and best wishes for those affected by Hurricane Harvey

Post by luke strawwalker »

Thanks for the kind thoughts...

Here's the details from our perspective so far... and some pics...

Too tired to repost it all here... here's a link instead... :) http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthrea ... post216084

Later and g'night...

OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#4 Re: Prayers and best wishes for those affected by Hurricane Harvey

Post by Commander »

It's good to hear that you are Okay. Our prayers are with you and all the other Texans finally taking a shower. :lol:
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Trident
Space Chief Petty officer
Space Chief Petty officer

#5 Re: Prayers and best wishes for those affected by Hurricane Harvey

Post by Trident »

We have been catching quite a bit of the news coverage and the amount of water, and the levels, is surreal. The coverage on Beaumont yesterday was shocking. People in pajamas, or barely dressed and without shoes, in the drizzle, shivering and waiting to be rescued -- it truly was heartbreaking. We are praying for everyone!
Lee

Bulds: Estes Saturn V, Super Sky Hook, Farside-X
Awaiting Paint/Detailing: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Der Saturn Max, Bandit XL
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#6 Re: Prayers and best wishes for those affected by Hurricane Harvey

http://www.haytalk.com/forums/topic/757 ... rawwalker/

Here's a link to a thread with a lot of pics I posted on the Hay Talk Forum... good stuff over there... :)

Later! OL J R :)
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#7 Re: Prayers and best wishes for those affected by Hurricane Harvey

Post by Commander »

It never ceases to amaze me how big Texas is and I am only ever truly stupefied when I then have to consider Alaska (you know the old joke about the Texan bragging about how big Texas is then the Alaskan telling him he better be careful or Alaska will divide into four states and Texas will become the fifth largest state in the United States :lol:). Well when dealing at work with the Survey crews, I have to keep in mind that expanse when I would ask if someone could just pop over to the county courthouse in Brazoria County to pick up a deed, which might to me like someone asking if I could pop over to Pennsylvania to pick something up.

With that in mind, and knowing how big Harvey was, I think its area of affect was large enough to encompass some of the areas I would do title reviews in. One thing that would often come up was a right to inundate to such and such authority up to a certain elevation. These easements were given so that certain damns could be created to help alleviate water shortages and the elevation was typically to within a foot or two of the spillway elevation. other easements were given downstream in case such things as this storm ever happened, they could release waters from the damn.

Those easements covered a lot of area and I would wager that most of the people buying property in the areas never gave much thought to what that piece of paper meant.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Re: Prayers and best wishes for those affected by Hurricane Harvey and Irma

Post by bernomatic »

Also adding all those in the wake of Irma in Florida. Be well people.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#9 Re: Prayers and best wishes for those affected by Hurricane Harvey

Yes, very much so... prayers and best wishes for all in the path of Irma...

Later! OL J R :)