good ole USPS

Stories of our government yearning to show how great and helpful they are with their heads up their hind-sides, and you just wishing they would go away!
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1 good ole USPS

Post by bernomatic »

I placed an order with Apogee Components and his people did the usual bang up job getting my order complete and out. This gripe has nothing to do with Tim or his people.

This gripe has to do with the United States Postal Service, which is why I placed this gripe in this particular section. See I paid the few extra bucks to have the stuff delivered USPS Priority. It was scheduled to be delivered by yesterday March 7. Well it didn't come, but I figured it was because no one was home to sign for it. So I went on my USPS account and authorized it to be delivered without a signature. The web page was friendl;y and asked if I would like it placed anyplace special: mail box; front door; rear door; side door; etc. Because the neighborhood is special, I didn't want it in the mailbox which is attached to the front fence, but checked in the front door.

Long story short, we got snow today with a temperature outside of 0°C, which means big fluffy sloppy wet flakes. The box was dumped over the fence and covered in snow by the time I retrieved and it is a good thing I knew my local carrier was the way they are, else I wouldn't have found it till MUCH later this spring. As it was, the box was only damp and there was no damage to the enclosed materials. However, what do we have to do to get government employees to act like they might actually give a damn about their customers?
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#2 Re: good ole USPS

Post by luke strawwalker »

bernomatic wrote:I placed an order with Apogee Components and his people did the usual bang up job getting my order complete and out. This gripe has nothing to do with Tim or his people.

This gripe has to do with the United States Postal Service, which is why I placed this gripe in this particular section. See I paid the few extra bucks to have the stuff delivered USPS Priority. It was scheduled to be delivered by yesterday March 7. Well it didn't come, but I figured it was because no one was home to sign for it. So I went on my USPS account and authorized it to be delivered without a signature. The web page was friendl;y and asked if I would like it placed anyplace special: mail box; front door; rear door; side door; etc. Because the neighborhood is special, I didn't want it in the mailbox which is attached to the front fence, but checked in the front door.

Long story short, we got snow today with a temperature outside of 0°C, which means big fluffy sloppy wet flakes. The box was dumped over the fence and covered in snow by the time I retrieved and it is a good thing I knew my local carrier was the way they are, else I wouldn't have found it till MUCH later this spring. As it was, the box was only damp and there was no damage to the enclosed materials. However, what do we have to do to get government employees to act like they might actually give a damn about their customers?
Yeah, good luck with that...

Remember back when the Saturn V's were on sale a few years ago and it was a huge hoo-ha among the rocketry community?? Well, I FINALLY sprang for one of those "cheap" Saturn V's... it was around Christmas and we were in Indiana. Fortunately my nephew was living with us at the time and working at Academy Sports and he came home late one evening right at the end of what had been a gully-washer of a day, what with our "winter monsoon" we get here normally. Guess what?? The idgits left my Saturn V on the front doorstep, getting soaked in the blowing rain and rainwater dripping off the eaves all day while he was at work. He saw the huge box and retrieved it, but everything was thoroughly wet. He called me and asked me what to do about it, and I asked him to just set the tubes up on the heater vents in the floor in our bedroom and bathroom so they coudl dry out, and the box and rest of the contents over heater vents in the living room and dining room if he could. Everything was basically soaking wet but thanks to his quick action and about a week of drying on the heater vents every time the heater kicked on in the house, the kit was saved. Course I didn't know that until I got home a week or so later...

I made a post similar to yours and commented about my concern the kit's contents were ruined and how generally useless our friggin' mail service is. Jeffyjeep, a prolific poster on YORF, went beyond kindness and actually sent me a second Saturn V kit, as he had a "couple extras" and hated to see mine get ruined after waiting for so many years for it. Just goes to show what wonderful people most rocketry folks are...

USPS delivery has become a joke. At least FedEX and the brown guys will pull up to the end of the back porch, toss it onto the deck, and drive off. USPS won't even do that. They set it on the cattleguard or drop it out the window onto the ground in the pasture next to the driveway just inside the cattleguard at the end of the driveway. We have a package size large mailbox, but the door is ripped off and the thing has been knocked down and put back up twice... if it's not kids it's tractors and farm machinery that knocks it down. I didn't even put it back up the last time for a couple months-- only thing I actually get by mail anymore that I care about is my "Farm Show" magazines... and they only come bi-monthly. The only thing we get in the stupid mail is junk mail and gubmint crap, which I'd gladly do without. We got Grandma a PO Box in town when she was getting forgetful and going to the mailbox a half-dozen times a day or more (because she couldn't remember if she'd gotten the mail yet) and with her bad knee was at risk of falling, plus all the d@mn rednecks and citiots who've moved in out here blowing by here like it's the Indy 500... my brother Jay kept the box in town after she passed away, in his name and he gets most of his mail there... but I REFUSE to give them money for a box so that I have to GO TO TOWN to get the worthless junk mail and gubmint crap that I don't want anyway.

Whatever happened to them just putting one of those "you have a package" notices in your mailbox and you pick the d@mn thing up at the Post Office next time you're in town-- I'd MUCH rather them do that than drop the d@mn thing out in the muddy cow pasture!

Course our friggin' mail carrier can't read anyway-- we get sh!t from people miles from here... and they get ours on occasion... I used to go in and ask for the Post Mistress and give it to her saying, "yer boy can't read!" and she'd promise "I'll take care of it" but SSDD... so now if we get the wrong stuff I just drop it in the mailbox in front of the post office by the street... let the sumbitches figure it out themselves-- why should I waste my time going in there to take it back and give a complaint to fall on deaf ears anyway??

I keep telling Betty next time I have to replace the mailbox, I'm going to mount it on the side of a burn barrel-- she can just dump all the friggin' junk mail in there and on Saturday evening I'll squirt some charcoal lighter fluid in on top of it and toss in a match before I drive to the house... *oops you said word #2 on it...

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...