Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#1 NASA Invites Media to SpaceX Demo-1 Launch

Post by Commander »

November 21, 2018
MEDIA ADVISORY M18-175
NASA Invites Media to SpaceX Demo-1 Launch
Illustration of SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft launching atop the company’s Falcon 9 rocket from historic Launch Complex 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida.<br />Credits: SpaceX
Illustration of SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft launching atop the company’s Falcon 9 rocket from historic Launch Complex 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
Credits: SpaceX
M18-175.jpg (63.12 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
Media accreditation is open for SpaceX’s Demo-1 uncrewed flight test to the International Space Stationas part of NASA’s Commercial Crew Program. The launch of SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket and Crew Dragon spacecraft is targeted for Jan. 7, 2019, from historic Launch Complex 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

This will be the first uncrewed test flight of the Commercial Crew Program and will provide data on the performance of the Falcon 9 rocket, Crew Dragon spacecraft, and ground systems, as well as on-orbit, docking and landing operations. The flight test also will provide valuable data toward NASA certifying SpaceX’s crew transportation system for carrying astronauts to and from the space station.

Media prelaunch and launch activities will take place at Kennedy.

Media accreditation deadlines are as follows:

International media without U.S. citizenship must apply by 4 p.m. EST Friday, Dec. 7, for access to Kennedy media activities.
U.S. media must apply by 4 p.m. Friday, Dec. 21.

All accreditation requests should be submitted online at:

https://media.ksc.nasa.gov

For questions about accreditation, please email ksc-media-accreditat@mail.nasa.gov. For other questions, contact Kennedy’s newsroom at 321-867-2468.

Reporters with special logistics requests for Kennedy, such as space for satellite trucks, trailers, tents, electrical connections or work spaces, must contact Tiffany Fairley (Tiffany.l.fairley@nasa.gov) by Friday, Dec 7.

NASA’s Commercial Crew Program is working with the American aerospace industry through a public-private partnership to launch astronauts on American rockets and spacecraft from American soil for the first time since 2011. The goal of the program is safe, reliable and cost-effective transportation to and from the International Space Station, which could allow for additional research time and increase the opportunity for discovery aboard humanity’s testbed for exploration.

For launch countdown coverage, NASA's launch blog, and more information about the mission, visit:

https://www.nasa.gov/commercialcrew

-end-
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#2 Re: NASA Invites Media to SpaceX Demo-1 Launch

Post by luke strawwalker »

GOOD!!! Been looking forward to this!

"At last, my finely wrought dream approaches its fulfillment..."

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#3 Re: NASA Invites Media to SpaceX Demo-1 Launch

Post by Commander »

I would say it's about time. I had thought Mr. Musk was going to have a crewed lunar orbital mission by the end of this year. Of course I understand NASA may be slowing him down because they don't want to look like they (NASA) are the old man in the game, but if he wants to stay ahead of Mr. Bezos... ;)
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#4 Re: NASA Invites Media to SpaceX Demo-1 Launch

Commander wrote: Wed, 05 Dec 18, 04:55 am I would say it's about time. I had thought Mr. Musk was going to have a crewed lunar orbital mission by the end of this year. Of course I understand NASA may be slowing him down because they don't want to look like they (NASA) are the old man in the game, but if he wants to stay ahead of Mr. Bezos... ;)
I think it's a case of, as Mr. Scott of the Enterprise would say, "making space plans is easy; actually doing it, that's hard..."

I'm sure NASA is anal 15 ways to Sunday on the Commercial Crew thing, and apparently they're in NO hurry whatsoever. Seems somewhat of a double-standard to me, seeing how NASA's ineptitude between "go fever" and ignoring substantial and repeated evidence of dangerous problems and occurrences on three occasions resulted in the death of 17 astronauts (between the Apollo 1 fire, Challenger, and Columbia). NOW they're super-anal about safety, now that it's somebody else in "the driver's seat"...

That, and of course from what I've read, the Congressvermin have only ever given the most grudging support to Commercial Crew... and then basically ONLY BECAUSE NASA is totally incapable of doing that job, and doesn't want to develop a spacecraft *simply* capable of operating as an "orbital taxi" because they realize that if and when they do, that's likely *ALL THEY'LL EVER GET*, just like with the shuttle... (remember, originally shuttle was to be a completely reusable first-stage and space plane combo, designed as transport to deliver materials and personnel to an orbiting space station constructed in space. The ink wasn't even dry on the shuttle order when basically the space station was sh!t-canned, and the shuttle flew alone with NO destination for decades... basically the idea didn't even resurface until Reagan's speech after Challenger in late 1986, leading to the aborted "Space Station Freedom" (which NASA designed and redesigned and re-redesigned several times, in response to aerospace contractor lobbying leading to gubmint tinkering and demands, and which of course was underfunded and YEARS behind schedule (originally proposed to be flying by 1990, in actuality SSF was still on the drawing boards after the Soviet collapse in 1991, and in 1992 it was retooled yet again and morphed into the "International Space Station" program when it was decided it was better to subsidize the former Soviet space program into rebuilding their mothballed "Mir 2" core into the Zarya 'service module' for ISS, rather than have them go to work for North Korea and other third world "axis of evil" countries developing ballistic missiles...)

And, "recent history" would tend to bear that out... Remember in the wake of Columbia when Bush 2 announced the "Space Exploration Initiative" (SEI) with the goal of "the Moon, Mars, and Beyond"?? Out of that grew the "Constellation Program" of Orion, Ares I, and Ares V, plus the Altair lunar lander, and the Prometheus nuclear power reactor for in-space applications, and the methane engine service module (which would have applications for propulsion for Mars ascent stages, using ISRU propellant produced on Mars via the Sabatier Process, ala Zubrin's "Mars Direct" proposal?? Of course the ink didn't even get dry on the orders before first Prometheus was scrapped, and then not long after, when NASA proved it was in over its head on Orion and Ares I development, let alone Ares V, the Altair lunar lander was cancelled as well... Which kind of negates the point of having a "Moon, Mars, and Beyond" program-- what use is it to have a rocket and capsule to get you there if you have no lander and no service module capable of even putting you into orbit, let alone get you down on the surface?? Which is why I consider all this SLS/Orion stuff so much make-work... it's the "shuttle derived" solution that keeps the former shuttle-mafia contractors happy, and the gubmint Congressvermin space wonks that control NASA's budget happy, but it's a bridge to nowhere, a super-expensive "capability" that will have enormous sustainment costs and yet is incapable and inflexible in its first iteration, without billions more in expenditure (for SLS Block 2) and another decade of development of a *real* service module, in-space propulsion stages, landers, habs, a new ascent stage, and of course additional all-new high-performance throw-away boosters for SLS's core stage... and NONE of this is funded... Yet without it, about all SLS/Orion is capable of is redoing the old Soviet lunar-flyby "Zond" missions of 1968, without even the capability of entering lunar orbit... only with guys in the capsule (which the Soviets didn't chance, and Apollo 8 raced across the finish line ahead of them). It's not even as ambitious or capable of a mission as Apollo 8, which actually entered lunar orbit and spent 10 orbits there (about a day), because Orion on SLS Block 1 doesn't have a service module or in-space stage capable of braking it into lunar orbit or accelerating it back out again...

For whatever reason, NASA doesn't seem too worried about getting its astronauts off of Soyuz and into Crew Dragon, CST-100, or whatever else. They seem perfectly content to keep sending them to Russia with a $72 million dollar a seat check for their tickets on Soyuz. I guess the Russian program, which is perpetually underfunded, is reliant upon that money, so if NASA is paying SpaceX and Boeing (ULA) to launch its astronauts to the station, they'll probably have to invent some sort of way to keep funding the Russian program anyway, for "essential services"... which, basically, IS TRUE... ISS *CANNOT* function without the Russian Zarya service module, and the Progress space freighter/tankers that supply it with propellant-- it is TOTALLY reliant upon Zarya for reboost of the station (because it's SO big and "fluffy" (surface area vs. mass), it experiences a lot of atmospheric drag that constantly lowers the orbit... without the Russian modules rocket engines "reboosting" the station to a higher orbit, fed by propellant delivered by the Russian "Progress" space tankers (in addition to their function as resupply freighters and, once emptied, acting as basically trash dumpsters for the station, burning up in the atmosphere afterwards). None of the other station resupply vehicles can provide that service... it's SOLELY reliant upon the Russian module and Progress... SpaceX's Dragon provides the UNIQUE capability of bringing down cargo as well as taking cargo up, both pressurized and unpressurized, but Orbital's "Cygnus" COTS resupply vehicle can only haul cargo up, and act as a trash dumpster for disposal in the atmosphere afterwards, burning up on reentry, since, like Progress, it has no heat shield... but unlike Progress, it's only capable of delivering supplies and water, NOT propellant for the reboost engines.

NASA *IS* the "old man in the game"... I had to laugh watching the last Soyuz launch coverage from Russia... after the liftoff on NASA TV, they had old Bill Gerstenmaier in his ushanka and coat commenting on the launch from the snowy steppes of Kazakhstan... he looked like some ancient relic of the Cold War... it's him and his ilk of "old men" that keep NASA tied down to the albatross of the shuttle and ISS, and the "shuttle derived solutions" and other 'backwards thinking' that exist not because of any good sense, but merely to tick off check boxes of political "requirements" from the old guard at NASA and their well-lobbied political masters among the Congressvermin...

The more things change, the more things stay the same... "Meet the new boss-- same as the old boss" as they used to say in the Soviet Union... LOL:)

SpaceX's Musk and Blue Origin's Bezos aren't directly competing anymore, from what I see... at least, not in the short term. Bezos has his hands full developing the BE-4 methane engine for the Air Force, which he got a contract to do to replace RD-180 on Atlas V... (which will be retooled as the "Vulcan" IIRC). The "New Shepard" is more or less a demonstrator (like Falcon 1) and "New Glenn" will only come about once its BE-4 engine is completed and ready, and will take a lot of development work to produce. Musk already has SEVERAL iterations of Falcon 9 having flown or flying, proven (more or less) it can return boosters to a landing site for reuse and actually relaunch them, and has even demonstrated the Falcon Heavy, which basically is the equivalent of SLS BLock 1 capability (more or less), plus they have a demonstrated successful ORBITAL (if so far, unmanned) capsule capable of returning and being reused and flown again... (Dragon). Once they've flown a successful Crew Dragon (Dragon 2?) capsule demonstrator flight, they'll have an operational MANNED orbital launch and landing system. Bezos and his "New Shepard" is basically just a suborbital hop demonstrator-- impressive nonetheless, if only for its "space tourism" suborbital hop possibilities (which again, if there's SO much demand for "space tourism", WHY aren't they lined up around the block throwing their money at Bezos to fly on New Shepard, now that basically "SpaceShipTwo" is either hopelessly delayed, or out of the running completely?? AND, **IF** that demand IS there, WHY isn't Bezos waving tickets and taking their money for those suborbital hops?? Basically it all just validates my conclusion that so-called 'space tourism", at least in the form of suborbital hops costing as much as a suburban home, is basically demand a "mile wide, but an inch deep"... I guess time will tell... Orbital tourism *might* be a different animal, BUT I'm not betting on it, because of the costs involved, at least in the short term... Notice that you don't hear much from Bigelow any more...

At ANY rate, BOTH Bezos and Musk have important contributions to make... Bezos's BE-4 methane engine will be an excellent option for first stage propulsion (as methane is a "low cryogen" similar in temperature to liquid oxygen, MUCH easier to store and use than liquid hydrogen, which is a "deep cryogen" supercold liquid, and it's MUCH denser than liquid hydrogen, and has good energy density, making it more similar to kerosene than hydrogen, making it an excellent first-stage propulsion propellant... PLUS, if we actually DO go to Mars at some point, we'll NEED a methane-burning engine, since Zubrin "proved" that you can make methane propellant from the carbon dioxide of the Mars atmosphere combined in the Sabatier process with a small source of hydrogen brought from Earth... (and if a source of readily available water can be found on Mars and exploited, even the hydrogen from Earth is unnecessary-- you can split water through electrolysis into hydrogen and oxygen, save the oxygen for rocket fuel, and process the hydrogen with carbon dioxide to make methane propellant... ) If "New Glenn" emerges at some point as a competitor or adjunct to SpaceX's Falcon 9, so much the better... but it'll be a long ways down the road. By then Musk will have staked his claim and between Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy, he should have carved himself a nice little niche by then, particularly with Dragon and Dragon 2 (crew Dragon) are operating well and he's delivering people into space, even if they are NASA employees going to the station. BFR looks like an interesting concept, and a logical follow-on, but it's gonna take time-- not going to be the "in a few short years" type development that their "schedules" show. It will be big and extremely complex and all that spells a LOT of development issues and those take time, effort, and money to overcome.

The first thing I've learned in my studies of the space program and these proposals is, NEVER take a schedule, cost estimate, or capabilities/mission description at face value... Basically, multiply costs and schedule by a factor of THREE and you'll have an OPTIMISTIC idea of when it *might* actually be available or flying; multiply by FIVE for a "realistic" time or cost, and multiply by about TEN for a pessimistic idea of time or cost... When it comes to capability or mission description, be prepared to cut that down by 1/5 if your optimistic, 1/4 if you're realistic, or 1/3-1/2 if you're pessimistic...

Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#5 Re: NASA Invites Media to SpaceX Demo-1 Launch

Post by Commander »

Blue Origin has stated that New Shepherd, besides being a future thrill ride for those with the money, is a proof of concept machine. That it is scalable and that therefore they should be able to upsize to the New Glenn (and greater) in short order once they get the BE-4 engines.

Yes the New Shepherd passenger list may be a mile wide and an inch deep for now, but with a little different philosophy they could transition into a unique and new transportation system. Tickets for a suborbital ride from say Texas to one of the Hawaiian islands, or maybe Japan, could become akin to taking the Concorde to France. The main thing is to make it a consistent service with rides on a set schedule.

I have noted that the competition between the two billionaires has backed off ever since Blue Origins BE-4 engine was picked by the Air Force for a contract to be used in the Atlas V. Maybe I'm being conspiratorial, but prior to that Blue Origin was just as much in the news, if not moreso than Space X. Prior to the award of the contract, Blue Origin was launching from their own facility and had minimum involvement with the federal government. Only when the engine contract was accepted did advancements from Blue Origin seem to really stop or at least become infrequent. At that time I am sure Space X stopped feeling the pressure to move forward as quickly. Of course the other consideration is that once the Air Force accepted the BE-4 engine, Blue Origin itself became diversified, now pursuing two goals, The continued development of New Shepherd in Texas and the New Glen in Florida (along with the launch facilities and support areas need there). In addition, they are looking to continue moving forward with a new system called New Armstrong, of which there is almost no information available at this time.

I thought Blue Origin was close to space tourism suborbital flights after their last flight in July, being the last "abort" test flight. From what i can find, they are looking to fly crewed capsules (in house test pilots) early in 2019.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#6 Re: NASA Invites Media to SpaceX Demo-1 Launch

Commander wrote: Mon, 10 Dec 18, 05:11 am Blue Origin has stated that New Shepherd, besides being a future thrill ride for those with the money, is a proof of concept machine. That it is scalable and that therefore they should be able to upsize to the New Glenn (and greater) in short order once they get the BE-4 engines.

Yes the New Shepherd passenger list may be a mile wide and an inch deep for now, but with a little different philosophy they could transition into a unique and new transportation system. Tickets for a suborbital ride from say Texas to one of the Hawaiian islands, or maybe Japan, could become akin to taking the Concorde to France. The main thing is to make it a consistent service with rides on a set schedule.

I have noted that the competition between the two billionaires has backed off ever since Blue Origins BE-4 engine was picked by the Air Force for a contract to be used in the Atlas V. Maybe I'm being conspiratorial, but prior to that Blue Origin was just as much in the news, if not moreso than Space X. Prior to the award of the contract, Blue Origin was launching from their own facility and had minimum involvement with the federal government. Only when the engine contract was accepted did advancements from Blue Origin seem to really stop or at least become infrequent. At that time I am sure Space X stopped feeling the pressure to move forward as quickly. Of course the other consideration is that once the Air Force accepted the BE-4 engine, Blue Origin itself became diversified, now pursuing two goals, The continued development of New Shepherd in Texas and the New Glen in Florida (along with the launch facilities and support areas need there). In addition, they are looking to continue moving forward with a new system called New Armstrong, of which there is almost no information available at this time.

I thought Blue Origin was close to space tourism suborbital flights after their last flight in July, being the last "abort" test flight. From what i can find, they are looking to fly crewed capsules (in house test pilots) early in 2019.
It's all good...

Nothing focuses ones attention like a paying customer... LOL:) I'm sure that with the AF writing them a check for BE-4, of course they decided to make that the priority. As well it should be. That's one reason NASA is in the quandary it is-- they basically ate their seed corn over the life of the shuttle program, only a handful of new engines were developed, NONE brought to completion, and once the need arose for new engines, they found the cupboard was bare... it's a shame too, because they had any number of promising starts, all of which came to nothing. J-2S was done during the completion of Apollo hardware, and if there had been a second order of Saturn V's, they'd have ALL come with J-2S engines standard, and J-2 would have been phased out. Same thing with F-1A-- the second order of Saturn V's would have all been powered by F-1A's. These changes alone would have instantly jumped Saturn V capabilities immensely. BUT, no second order of Saturn V's ever came-- they mothballed the lines after 13 vehicles, and then destroyed it all in '74 IIRC... NASA had tinkered with things like the linear aerospike engine (for X-33/Venturestar), RS-84,TR-103, FASTRAC (which became the base design for Merlin, once SpaceX bought the rights to it), etc. All were developed to various stages of test firing, NONE were completed... That's why NASA was reduced to pulling spare F-1's out of long-term storage at Marshall and of course SSME for the upper stage of Ares I, til they figured out it wouldn't work, and so they dusted off J-2S, found out it didn't have enough steam to make up for Ares I's five segment booster first stage's lack of oomf, and then TOTALLY redesigned J-2S as J-2X, basically making it a "one trick pony" ascent stage engine in the process...

The tourism stuff will take care of itself... it's a side-show at best anyway. At *some point*, I think the *REAL* payoff will be in some kind of an intercontinental flight capability, like LA to London or New York to Tokyo in say 1.5 hrs versus 24 or whatever... IOW, paying customers hopping on a "trans-atmospheric vehicle" who's granddaddy was Falcon 9's first stage, flying a hyperbolic ballistic trajectory, and landing halfway around the world 45 minutes to an hour after takeoff... I think the military would absolutely salivate over this possibility as well, and they'll probably the impetus for it. The gubmint contracts, in the form of COTS for ISS resupply, Commercial Crew for flying astronauts to the ISS, and the BE-4 engine contracts are basically boot-strapping the industry, in a way that's never been done in aerospace, at least not this way (of course NASA and the gubmint have let contracts for centuries, but the "old space" company players haven't leveraged that to do "new things" like the new space companies have... they haven't looked much further than "the next contract"... that's what's new...

Anyway, I think we're still VERY early in the game... you're talking about the DC-3, and we're somewhere between the Wright flyer and the early WWI biplanes, at best.

It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out...