Createx Airbrush Colors

bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by bernomatic »

I did some test of my own earlier this evening using the information from the Andy X youtube videos. Some things needed some updating a tad, but he has good information.
The long and the short of it is:

1) thin the paint A BUNCH!

2) Use light coats (2-3 quick passes = one coat)

3) Heat set each coat before continuing with another.

I did a couple of test styrene squares using

-paint and future to thin over a rustoleum primer
-paint and "retarder" to thin over a rustoleum primer
-opaque base to thin
-paint and future to thin.

Pictures and more later.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by bernomatic »

Finally, here are the results for the Createx Airbrush Colors. :D

The specifics first.

-I shot the following tests in my basement work room which had a temperature around 26°C and the humidity was around 65%.

-The air pump is irrelevant except for the fact it goes to a storage tank and does have a moisture trap before the hose, but none at the brush (when I'm doing this for pay, I'll start worrying about things like that). The pressure for the hose was 1.9 bars and would drop to around 1.7 bars on opening the airbrush.

-The airbrush I was using was a Master Model G25 which has a 0.2mm tip. (for those wishing to berate my airbrush, see above about the additional moisture trap).

- I used a Great Neck Dual Temp Heat Gun on the lower setting (250° C) held about 5 cm away from the styrene.

-The styrene was Evergreen Scale Models Sheet Styrene 15 mm thick. each piece was about 2.5 cm by 4.5 cm and sanded on one side with 180 grit sandpaper.

:ugeek: :ugeek:
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by bernomatic »

The agents:

-two chips (Numbers 1 & 2) wher given an even coat of Rust-oleum spray Filler Primer (249279 Filler Primer Gray) and allowed to dry overnight.

-three batches of paint and thinner were mixed. The paint was the Airbrush Colors Opaque Back (5211). Three small jars were filled with 15 ml of the paint.

-Jar #1 was mixed in a 1:1 ratio with Pledge Floor Care Multi-Surface Finish (which I believe is the current Future Shine derivative).

-Jar #2 was mixed with Airbrush Colors Retarder (5607) which according to their webpage Additives & Mediums states is used "Add in sparing amounts when painting in arid conditions and an extended open or drying time is desired.". Again this was mixed in a 1:1 ratio.

-Jar #3 was mixed with Airbrush Colors Opaque Base (5602) which is for " Add to colors to increase coverage and create pastel/ lighter colors."

Now none of these three items is the prescribed thinner for the Createx Airbrush Colors, that being the Illustration Base (5608) " – A binder-based reducer with solvent perfect for adding to any Createx Airbrush Colors in any ratio for improved flow, atomization and reduced tip-dry, especially when using small tip-sized airbrushes operated at lower PSI settings. Reduction may be in any ratio; reduce as needed." Which continually alludes me in my searches, even on line :shock:. However the two Createx items seem to imply some thinning capabilities.
The Retarder is clear and shouldn't affect the color, but the opaque base has a milky appearance which may affect the final color.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by bernomatic »

One last thing before the results,

All four chips were partially covered with a strip of the most tenacious tape (some colored duck tape, the brand name variety, not a cheap imitation) I have on hand, which I left on for about an hour and then ripped off.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by bernomatic »

CHIP #1
1:1 RATIO W/ PLEDGE.

I took pictures after every layer I shot, but to be honest, you really can't see much in them. This one time where a picture isn't worth a thousand words.

So the standard procedure I followed was to lay down a coat, heat with the heat gun on the lower setting till the paint dried, then repeat.

On the first layer, I made two passes over the chip for each area, then applied the heat gun.
On the second layer and each subsequent layer (2-4), I made three passes then the heat gun for each layer, Prior to the third layer, I used a cotton swab dipped in alcohol to clean the tip because it was beginning to sputter.
While using the heat gun. you could see the layer drying and becoming a flatter finish. It did end up drying as a semi gloss finish, but didn't look completely smooth, almost as if the paint had laid down as a splatter.
Another thing I noticed is that I went through a lot of paint mixture when compared to the other chips (except for no. 4 which also used the Pledge shine).

The masking test caused no observable damage.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#16 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by bernomatic »

CHIP #2
1:1 RATIO W/ RETARDER (5607)

Pretty much the same procedure and results, except this chip dried with a flatter finish.

On the first layer, I made two passes over the chip for each area, then applied the heat gun.
On the second layer and each subsequent layer (2-4), I made three passes then the heat gun for each layer, Prior to the third layer, I used a cotton swab dipped in alcohol to clean the tip because it was beginning to sputter.
While using the heat gun. you could see the layer drying.

This chip did have some of the paint come up on the masking test.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#17 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by Commander »

CHIP #3
2:1 RATIO W/ OPAQUE BASE (5602)

On the second layer and each subsequent layer (2-4), I made three passes then the heat gun for each layer. After the first layer, I used a cotton swab dipped in alcohol to clean the tip because the airbrush tip had clogged.

I used the 2:1 Ratio on this because the base has a milky look to it and I remembered Andy X's video mentioning color distortion when mixing too much of the thinning agent in. Since the base dries clear, I don't know if that is something to be concerned about in the end (dried) finish.

On this chip and chip 4, both not having been primed with the filler primer, you can really see the scratches from the sanding. Also remembered from the video's is Andy's admonition not to paint till you are sure the surfaced is prepped.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#18 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by Commander »

CHIP #4
1:1 RATIO W/ PLEDGE.

Chip 4 is a repeat of chip #1 without the Rust-oleum priming layer.

On this chip, I changed the passes for a layer count after the second layer. So, instead of three passes on the third and fourth layers, I only used two passes each layer. This was because the paint was so thin, I was worried about creating a run.

The finish ended up semi-gloss, and as mentioned above, scratches were very visible.

The masking test pulled up a very, very tiny (<1 mm) nick along an edge. This may have been loose paint along a rough boundary.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#19 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by Commander »

After allowing to dry for a few days, I masked half of each chip with Frog Tape, and shot with a clear coat of the Createx Airbrush Colors Gloss Top Coat (5604). This medium is very thick so I thinned with the retarder in a 1:1 ratio.

Let's just say I wasn't pleased with the results. :(

I may be to blame in this regard as I may have been rushing things between layers. but the results are that even today, all the halves coated with this combination still feel slightly tacky to me. The finish also didn't have the gloss I have seen elsewhere. I will experiment more in the future with this, since I still have almost a full bottle, but not on a model I'm trying to impress with.

The other half of the chips were shot with Rust-oleum Crystal Clear Enamel (7701) and achieved a gloss finish that dried in normal times (to the touch within 15 minutes).
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#20 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by Commander »

Overall I am pleased with the results I get from the Airbrush Colors, at least after finally learning how to apply them. The colors are vibrant, there are numerous hues and effects, they mix well, and are not attacked by other applications (they play well with other paints). I have not attempted to clearcoat with the Future shine yet and will be interested to see the results of that. As of now, I would not use the Airbrush Colors Gloss Top Coat as a final finish. It exhibits the problems of the paints when left as is (easily scratched, takes longer to cure than the paints, shine leaves something to be desired).

I cannot over emphasize that the surface must be perfect before you apply this paint. I would say at a minimum 600 grit sandpaper. On the other hand, don't polish the surface as you will give the paint nothing to grip. Also, don't expect to easily rework portions that have been painted. You cannot "feather" sand the edges to work repaired or reworked areas in. I may amend this statement in the near future as I am looking at using 91% alcohol to smooth/"erase" sections. So far I have had limited success, especially in removing layers that haven't cured correctly.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971