California Lawmakers reject John Wayne Day

What we have all come to expect and love/detest from our employees that ignore us
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1 California Lawmakers reject John Wayne Day

Post by bernomatic »

Fox 5 news report of Apr 29 2016 08:56AM EDT

Lawmakers reject John Wayne Day over racism concerns
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — What a California lawmaker intended as a benign resolution honoring a late, world-renowned movie icon exploded into an emotional debate over decades-old racist comments.

The state Assembly defeated the official ode to John Wayne Thursday after several legislators described statements he made about racial minorities and his support for the anti-communist House Un-American Activities Committee and John Birch Society.
More "progressives" who are easily offended.
"He had disturbing views towards race," objected Assemblyman Luis Alejo, D-Watsonville, leading off a 20-minute debate.
Alejo cited a 1971 interview with Playboy in which Wayne talked disparagingly about blacks.
"I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people," he told the magazine (http://bit.ly/1SwJCDa .)

Assemblyman Mike Gipson, D-Carson, who is black, said he found Wayne's comments personally offensive.

Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez, D-San Diego, cited his comments defending white Europeans' encroachment on American Indians who Wayne once said "were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves."
I bet they would be even more easily offended if there was a boycott of California tourism over their actions.
Last edited by bernomatic on Mon, 09 May 16, 02:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to add the link
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer