Feds Paid $1 Billion in Social Security Benefits to Individuals Without a SSN

Ways that our tax dollars are spent for good (really?) and for bad.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1 Feds Paid $1 Billion in Social Security Benefits to Individuals Without a SSN

Post by bernomatic »

The Social Security Administration paid $1 billion in benefits to individuals who did not have a Social Security Number (SSN), according to a new audit.

The agency’s inspector general found errors in the government’s documentation for representative payees, otherwise known as individuals who receive retirement or disability payments on behalf of another person who is incapable of managing the benefits themselves.

The audit released Friday found thousands of cases where there was no SSN on file.

Over the last decade, the agency paid $1 billion to 22,426 representative payees who "did not have an SSN, and SSA had not followed its policy to retain the paper application."

“Furthermore, unless it takes corrective action, we estimate SSA will pay about $182.5 million in benefits, annually, to representative payees who do not have an SSN or paper application supporting their selection,” the inspector general said.

The inspector general also found the agency paid $853.1 million in benefits since 2004 to individuals who had been terminated as representative payees by the agency.

The inspector general said the errors occurred because the agency did not keep paper applications supporting an individual’s case to receive benefits on behalf of another and did not update its system if their status was terminated.

Only six percent of representative payees had SSNs that were properly recorded, based on the audit’s sample of 100 beneficiaries.

Government benefits are also going to illegal aliens through the representative payee system. 17 percent of representative payees in the sample did not have an SSN recorded because they were undocumented noncitizens, the inspector general said.

Illegal aliens without SSNs are allowed to receive benefits from the government when acting as representatives for their minor children.
:arrow: full article
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#2 Re: Feds Paid $1 Billion in Social Security Benefits to Individuals Without a SSN

Post by tmacklin »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Au2-J-3on0

A billion here and a billion there....pretty soon we're talkin' real money! :o
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#3 Re: Feds Paid $1 Billion in Social Security Benefits to Individuals Without a SSN

Post by luke strawwalker »

WTF... I don't get it... typical gubmint-- FUBAR and a total Mongolian cluster-fvck...

Hell you can't even go to the fvcking doctor anymore without a SSN... try it! Try opening a bank account without an SSN-- they won't let you do it! Try applying for a job without an SSN... or getting a driver's license or anything else pretty much... Hell, if you get stopped by a cop, the sumbitches want a fvcking SSN to put on the ticket... Hell, we had a calf crawl under the fvcking fence by the highway and someone called it in to the sheriff's office, and a deputy came by to find we'd already run it in, pulled into the old man's driveway and tooted the horn, Pops came out on the porch and the deputy asked if we got the calf in, he told her 'the boys' (me and my brother) had already run it back in, and she demanded his fvcking SSN for her damn "contact sheet" (report a cop makes on everybody they've 'contacted' (talked to related to the job) that day). I'd have told her to *oops you said word #2 up a rope, she can have my DL number but F*** that-- I don't give my SSN to damn cops...

Yet here the friggin' Social Security Admin is handing out billions of dollars in benefits to assholes with NO fvcking SSN?? WTF gives?? They should all lose the friggin' jobs is what should happen... every last damn one of them.

Sorry sumbitches...

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
Joe Wooten
Space Lieutenant
Space Lieutenant

#4 Re: Feds Paid $1 Billion in Social Security Benefits to Individuals Without a SSN

Post by Joe Wooten »

We will not have much luck in firing those bureaucrats given the current (un)Civil Service laws. I propose a solution, use that old law cutting their salaries to $1 per year and re-assign them to a new office in a sealand module in Langtry Tx......
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#5 Re: Feds Paid $1 Billion in Social Security Benefits to Individuals Without a SSN

Post by luke strawwalker »

Joe Wooten wrote:We will not have much luck in firing those bureaucrats given the current (un)Civil Service laws. I propose a solution, use that old law cutting their salaries to $1 per year and re-assign them to a new office in a sealand module in Langtry Tx......
LIKE! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...