Could anyone compete with the NAR?

For those who are content to get the same thrill (without the extra cost) of the High Power Peple
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1 Could anyone compete with the NAR?

Post by bernomatic »

Is the NAR the Estes of rocketry organizations? In other words, is there no way that a new organization could come along, kinda like Tripoli did? It seems that these organizations get so large that they really lose touch with the individual rocketeer. Add to that the "power" that they don't want to lose and thus have become more or less, don't question what we are doing, we know better than you.

Is there room for a new paradigm in rocketry? Is there even a new idea that could re energize the youth and tear them from their gaming consoles? That is where the future lays. I know there is scouting and 4-H, but with those organizations we only reach a small percentage of the youth. What will it take?
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
Trident
Space Chief Petty officer
Space Chief Petty officer

#2 Re: Could anyone compete with the NAR?

Post by Trident »

My friend Eric and I were discussing model rocketry last night. We actually built some tools together for the hobby, he is an engineer/designer/machinist and has a really capable metal shop. We wonder whether we should restart our business (he had to drop out 7-8 years ago due to divorce). We may, but we both feel the hobby will never be the same. Kids have so many competing interests now. And we don't feel there will ever be enough drive from the government to make the space program such an important national goal or directive, like it was when I grew up in the 60s. I dreamed of being an astronaut, or at least working on the space program. Apollo cancelled early, while I was a sophomore in college, and I switched from Aerospace to Electrical Engineering, realizing my dream just got sucker-punched.

I am not sure what kind of an organization it would take to try to rekindle that spirit. I frankly think the NAR does a pretty decent job, given the political environment today regarding our national priorities, combined with their membership size, and hence, their budget.

One thing I'm thankful for is Estes giving John Boren such freedom to keep us BARs satisfied with cool new rockets, and re-issues of classics like the Little Joe II and the upcoming re-release of the Saturn V. Those models are certainly not targeted at the hobby's youth. :) You just have to hope that today's enthusiasts keep bringing in enough new blood to keep the hobby going, as well as the vendors, from Estes down to the little guys specializing in rocket products like altimeters, recovery gear, building jigs, etc.
Lee

Bulds: Estes Saturn V, Super Sky Hook, Farside-X
Awaiting Paint/Detailing: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Der Saturn Max, Bandit XL
Joe Wooten
Space Lieutenant
Space Lieutenant

#3 Re: Could anyone compete with the NAR?

Post by Joe Wooten »

One problem with today's kids is that they for the most part, have not been taught to use tools of any sort. The de-emphasis on handwriting has led to loss of fine motor skills in their hands. I have seen this with the Scouts as most of the boys are very clumsy with knife use and knot tying and require much practice, which bores them. It was a major PITA to get them through building the Alphas I had them get for the space Expl MB last year. Two kids out of 20 had the necessary skills to be totally unsupervised in this activity.

The same goes for the "STEM" emphasis fad Scouts, the schools, and many youth groups are going through now. The *oops you said word #2-poor math and science instruction leaves them ill-prepared and the targeted scorn at young white male nerd types who normally excel at this turns off darn near all of them.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#4 Re: Could anyone compete with the NAR?

Post by Commander »

Which is why the Sagitta Arrow is much better for the beginning rocketeer.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#5 Re: Could anyone compete with the NAR?

Post by Commander »

Of Course, I understand it has to be available or it doesn't mean a thing. I'm working on it.

Sorry about the sales blurb, but if you would like more info, send me a PM. Now back to business, so to speak.

With too many things we think of the big giants in industry as being untouchable. Just like in our personal finances, we'll never be there (unless we win the lotto, inherit it , or sue someone rich for something, i.e medical malpractice). so why try harder? Let's just stew in our misery. I'm not saying that model rocketeers are that way (although I hear a bunch how do I think I'm going to do it in model rockets, you can't oppose Estes), but a lot of society is that way. We have been force fed through the media and other sources how it's not worth it, you won't make it, they'll squash you, etc. If you believe it, it will never happen. Well we'll see how far I get before I get squashed.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971