In 1974 it cost $16.95...

For those who are content to get the same thrill (without the extra cost) of the High Power Peple
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#21 Re: In 1974 it cost $16.95...

Post by luke strawwalker »

Trident wrote:Verna,
Since you are the Saturn Goddess ( may I be so bold as to refer to you that way?), I thought I'd ask you if you have any ideas on how to solve my Saturn V problem.

I started a Saturn V maybe 25 years ago. Then things got crazy, and it sat in a box partially built. When I started in on it again, I discovered that the paper shrouds for the upper transition was missing! :o

It probably fell to my shop floor, and got swept up without me realizing it. It's been sitting for 20 years, and I'd really like to finish it. I thought about using Plastruct or Evergreen strips, but that my be too detailed compared to the rest of it. I figured you might have some ideas.

Part of me is tempted to just turn it into a Der Red Saturn Max with skull and crossbones, and some
Mitt Grabben and Nicht Stomping decals ... :)
Well I ain't Verna and I sure ain't no "Saturn goddess" but I made a paper skin for the transition of my BT-80 Saturn V out of paper cardstock and hand embossed it with a straightedge, old pen, and a mouse pad... I think it looks pretty good. You can see pics in my "BT-80 Saturn V/ Saturn I-F" thread on YORF.

Later!
OL J R
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#22 Re: In 1974 it cost $16.95...

Here ya go... :)
003.jpg
003.jpg (86.68 KiB) Viewed 11091 times
005.jpg
005.jpg (65.69 KiB) Viewed 11091 times
027.jpg
027.jpg (65.54 KiB) Viewed 11091 times
OL J R :)
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#23 Re: In 1974 it cost $16.95...

Post by Rocket Babe »

[quote="Trident"]Verna,
>Since you are the Saturn Goddess ( may I be so bold as to refer to you that way?)

:oops: :lol: Aren't you sweet! Sure, why not. Just don't call me late for supper! :D

>I thought I'd ask you if you have any ideas on how to solve my Saturn V problem.

It will be this afternoon before I can check but I think I have a few extras of all the transitions printed on heavy paper.

If I can locate them and you want or need a set so you can finish your build, I'd be happy to mail them to you. No charge. Just need your address. :D

I'll check asap and let you know later today.
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#24 Re: In 1974 it cost $16.95...

Post by Rocket Babe »

:D Ok, This afternoon Lt. Ono and I stopped by my quarters on Pandora long enough to check my spare parts locker. :ugeek:

By the attached photos you can see that I do indeed have an original paper shroud sheet and 8 copies. The copies are actually slightly heavier stock and better than the kit sheet. You could simply cut them out or use them for a template and make your own copies, so you can have a few spares in case of flight damage or to help some other poor flyer that lost his long ago. :P That's what I've done. When I build another one I'll use the heavier stock to begin with. 8-)

As long as you still have the corrugated wraps, you're in business. If you don't, you should be able to get them from Estes. Someone else here may know of a source where you could get the corrugated wraps besides Estes.

If you want me to snail mail a copy of the paper shrouds to you (FREE) send your address to me: vernarockets@hotmail.com
Attachments
DSC_0057.JPG
DSC_0057.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 11090 times
DSC_0055.JPG
DSC_0055.JPG (523.23 KiB) Viewed 11090 times
Trident
Space Chief Petty officer
Space Chief Petty officer

#25 Re: In 1974 it cost $16.95...

Post by Trident »

Verna, and "Mr. Luke", I appreciate your help and suggestions. I think I will try Luke's method of embossing my own. Those look pretty decent, very close to the original embossed wrap.

Verna, it would be handy to have a shroud copy, rather than do my own, which I've certainly done in the past. I'll contact you via email with my address, and would much appreciate one of your copies.

Thanks!
Lee

Bulds: Estes Saturn V, Super Sky Hook, Farside-X
Awaiting Paint/Detailing: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Der Saturn Max, Bandit XL
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#26 Re: In 1974 it cost $16.95...

Post by Rocket Babe »

I got your email and will mail them in the morning. :D
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#27 Re: In 1974 it cost $16.95...

Trident wrote:Verna, and "Mr. Luke", I appreciate your help and suggestions. I think I will try Luke's method of embossing my own. Those look pretty decent, very close to the original embossed wrap.

Verna, it would be handy to have a shroud copy, rather than do my own, which I've certainly done in the past. I'll contact you via email with my address, and would much appreciate one of your copies.

Thanks!
You're welcome... :) Good luck! OL J R :)
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#28 Re: In 1974 it cost $16.95...

Post by Rocket Babe »

:D :D :D :D

Be sure to post a photo when you've got it built. 8-)
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#30 Re: In 1974 it cost $16.95...

Post by Commander »

Yes, but not with the Saturn V. :P

I've been dealing with other issues besides builds. It seems what little time I have for myself is being spent on other areas. I still haven't even launched anything this year. :(.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971