Re: Mental shown admissions... SPAM, SPAM, SPAM........

On occasion, a spambot gets through the defenses and before I can eradicate him, another member responds to the spam thread. When I eliminate the spambot account, it deletes the spambot's posts, but if it created a new thread and a member posted, the member's post is left behind. I do not delete member's posts except on rare occasions. So here are the SpamBot threads with the members posts. I have also started using it to temporarily hold threads that I believe are created by spambots till I can deal with them.
Joe Wooten
Space Lieutenant
Space Lieutenant

#1 Re: Mental shown admissions... SPAM, SPAM, SPAM........

Post by Joe Wooten »

SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM...........
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#2 Re: Mental shown admissions significantly hairs.

Post by luke strawwalker »

WHY do assholes like this go all over the internet posting *oops you said word #1 like this that NOBODY gives a rat's ass about?? ESPECIALLY in a rocket forum??

I could see it if this was some sort of medical forum or geriatric forum or some *oops you said word #1 like that, but REALLY?? a ROCKET forum??

Geez, talk about f***ing morons. Bout like all the assholes that are constantly posting *oops you said word #1 about cheap Chinese knock-off shoes and other worthless *oops you said word #1 all over The Rocketry Center and what-not.

Bernie, methinks you better start locking down your sign-up process so that it requires HUMAN intervention-- someone who is not known as an active rocketeer on any of the other forums, or put them on a probationary basis; until they post about ten posts with definitely relevant rocketry related information (or opinions) before turning them loose to play anywhere on the forum.

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Re: Mental shown admissions significantly hairs.

Post by bernomatic »

Uncle Ted had a hard time with the Captcha access so I made it the easier reading variety. Guess a bot got through. Maybe if I made it the Q & A variety.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#4 Re: Mental shown admissions significantly hairs.

Why am I seeing "oops you said word #1" in my post above?? I thought you turned off the filter for me, Bernie... or am I missing something??

Just wondering. Later! OL J R :)
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#5 Re: Mental shown admissions significantly hairs.

bernomatic wrote:Uncle Ted had a hard time with the Captcha access so I made it the easier reading variety. Guess a bot got through. Maybe if I made it the Q & A variety.
I told him if he kept looking at that stuff he'd go blind, but did he listen to me?? NOOO!!!

LOL:) Later! OL J R :)
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Re: Mental shown admissions significantly hairs.

Post by bernomatic »

I just wanted to add, that with freedom comes a risk. We here at the Starport believe in giving as much freedom as possible. When you join you get immediate access to all member areas and all the abilities of a "regular member". There is no new user category here. no waiting to prove how stupid provocative you are. Right from the get go, unlike on certain other forums, you can open your mouth and insert your foot tell us how you feel about things and show your heraldry (avatar) and let us know just who you think you are with a signature line. No waiting period, no minimum messages, no getting someone to sponsor you. Sign up and you're in. 8-)

That means there is a slight possibility we may be attacked by spambots. on occasion. We have all our defenses manned, but sometimes they get the upper hand for a minute and break throw. In such an obvious case as this one was (and thanks Joe for pointing it out more) the culprit was dealt with immediately. However even in these drastic times, we must be cautious even to guard the right of the spambots to spout off, that is till I log in again
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Re: Mental shown admissions significantly hairs.

Post by bernomatic »

damn drat, why didn't my strikethroughs show up?
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Re: Mental shown admissions... SPAM, SPAM, SPAM........

Post by bernomatic »

Last night they came out in force, hundreds of them... :o

I have been putting out blurbs on facebook and google+ trying to get new rocketry users to sign up. What I got was a bunch of new "users" all right. "spambot" users. There were scores of them. :shock: I'd http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/ to the left, then http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/ to the right. I was a :twisted: zapping machine. Whatever anti spambot measures I would take would only slow them down. They still somehow got over the walls. Finally, around 5 this morning, I had to shut down new user registration. I cleared out the last of the bots and went to bed.

Rest assured, I have taken measures :ugeek: to make it once again more difficult for the evil little critters to get in. I won't say never, cause we all know that ain't ever gonna be the case.

Now here is the thing I would like you all to take away from this. I could have been overbearing and a tyrant and just heaped restriction upon restriction on users, new and old alike, to make the spaceport "safe", and new members would not be able to do this or that without authorization, and wait so long before having such and such, and a lot of people would say, oh yes, we are safe. That's not the way it is here, I was upset to have had to close the doors for even the short while they were closed, but once new measures were implemented and I knew we weren't going to be over run by bots, the doors were opened wide once again for people to come in and speak their minds. Maybe it requires eternal vigilance, but I have heard that is the price of Liberty.
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#9 Re: Re: Mental shown admissions... SPAM, SPAM, SPAM........

Hear, hear!

Unfortunately I think that an "email type" subscription to the forum is still the best. I know YORF has taken a lot of heat for that over the years, but honestly with better spambots I think it's the best way to weed out the chaff.

If someone's too lazy to hit a link to ask for membership, do they REALLY have much/anything to contribute anyway??

I dunno. Later! OL J R :)
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#10 Re: Re: Mental shown admissions... SPAM, SPAM, SPAM........

Post by Commander »

I was just thinking, I should of put BLAM, BLAM, BLAM... instead of the SPAM.

Here again Luke, it's meant to be inclusive, even for the lazy.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971