My first skill level five rocket

Take us through your build strategies and ideas.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#1 My first skill level five rocket

Post by Commander »

Here's the parts check on my latest project. This one is kinda special to me since I have never built an Estes skill level five kit. There weren't very many and usually were expensive (by the standards of the day). So finally I began the final skill level assault.
Parts check.jpg
Parts check.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 59799 times
Any guesses what it is?
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Trident
Space Chief Petty officer
Space Chief Petty officer

#2 Re: My first skill level five rocket

Post by Trident »

I know, so I'll leave the guessing to someone else. I did not realize the tailcone from the 1250 Interceptor was included.
Lee

Bulds: Estes Saturn V, Super Sky Hook, Farside-X
Awaiting Paint/Detailing: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Der Saturn Max, Bandit XL
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Re: My first skill level five rocket

Post by bernomatic »

It's a close match, but not quite the same piece. I think only the wonks who would argue over a particular fin pattern on another forum would have a problem with someone using it on a clone though.
tail cones
tail cones
IMG_20160412_223803.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 46099 times
If you look closely, you'll notice that the vanes on my reissue Interceptor are squared off, while the one for the new build are rounded.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get back to some build threads now that the switch is over.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
Jetlag
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

#4 Re: My first skill level five rocket

Post by Jetlag »

It's a Xarconian Cruiser. A fun kit, indeed. I flew mine at NSL 2015. It flew well, but I should have used fillets on the pods. One popped off and the other's joint let go a little. Fixed now...
Are you going for face card finish?

Allen
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#5 Re: My first skill level five rocket

Post by Commander »

Jetlag wrote:It's a Xarconian Cruiser. A fun kit, indeed. I flew mine at NSL 2015. It flew well, but I should have used fillets on the pods. One popped off and the other's joint let go a little. Fixed now...
Are you going for face card finish?

Allen

I'm not sure, my thoughts flip flop on that. I have a "space camouflage scheme I've been imagining and this may be the place I try it. But then I kinda want the original scheme, so I may have to order another while they are still on clearance at Estes.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#6 Re: My first skill level five rocket

Post by Commander »

Hmmmm.... It's been over a month and no updates on this build.

Well yes, that is true. Besides being busy with the site switch, I ran into a bit of bad luck with the wings. I had built the engine mount with no difficulty :o but for some unknown reason while doing the wings, I decided to try some new techniques. Suffice it to say the wings did not come out satisfactory
P5020006.JPG
P5020006.JPG (133.07 KiB) Viewed 46073 times
P5020001.JPG
P5020001.JPG (132.25 KiB) Viewed 46073 times
P5020003.JPG
P5020003.JPG (132.7 KiB) Viewed 46073 times

So my typical reaction is to set the project aside (if possible) till I am over the feeling of wanting to bang my head against a hard object for being so obtuse as to try a new way with an already difficult build.

Being OCD I find it hard at times to continue with a rocket after I mess it up. However, when I have in the past forced myself to fix and continue the build, I often learn valuable lessons.

So even though this was a minor mishap, the way to correct this is easy. By lightly scouring one side of the joint, then holding over a heat source (in olden days I would have used a 100 W light bulb, but a hairdryer, space heater, or even a heat gun if you are careful, will work. the glue will become soft and you can separate the pieces without too much difficulty. Alternate between the scouring, heating and gently bending the pieces at the joint and in short order they will be apart. Patience is your friend here as trying to force the pieces apart may cause the parts to separate in a way that is not along the original seem.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#7 Re: My first skill level five rocket

Post by Rocket Babe »

I can identify, I'm cdo. It's the same thing just in alphabetical order. :lol:
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Re: My first skill level five rocket

Post by bernomatic »

All right back on track now. and if Uncle Ted will let me get out of the political arena, maybe I can get this build moving.

I went back to the old method of gluing wings flat and aligned and what do you know,

Success! :)
P5120005.JPG
P5120005.JPG (145.05 KiB) Viewed 46059 times
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#9 Re: My first skill level five rocket

Post by Commander »

<sigh>

Does life really speed along that fast? I guess so, especially the summer months.

I spent all night last night moving and re-arranging the contents of the rocket bunker looking for the wings I glued back in May. I didn't put them with the rest of the kit sitting in the bag on the table. No, they would have been in danger of being damaged by doing that. Not to worry, I found them after a three hour search sitting on one of the half completed window sills down here, undamaged :D . It was too late to do anything at that time so I set them aside for the night and went to bed.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#10 Re: My first skill level five rocket

Post by Commander »

Today, I cleaned the wings off and took them over to my Corian Slab.

Yes I have a chunk of Corian Slab 50cm by 76cm which a photographer in the building where I work sold to me as he was closing up shop. It has three pads, missing the fourth corner and one side has some drilled holes in it, put for eight bucks... Now I suppose I can be all that and maybe start drinking Scotch and ...

Sorry, back to the build.
I laid the the wings out mirrored and was lightly sanding the joints flat, when I noticed that held together at the rear, the front strakes were about 6mm apart. After closer examination, I found that the root edges of one of the wing assemblies did not line up at all. There was enough misalignment in the two joints to create that 6mm separation. Separating the pieces and regluing the wing again did not sit well with me, especially after I found out that Estes didn't carry the Cruiser on there website anymore at any price, let alone the 1970's price they were selling these at. They are available elsewhere.

This picture shows the wings after the fix. the narrow ends originally were a bit apart.
PA140026.JPG
PA140026.JPG (121.91 KiB) Viewed 45954 times
So I decided to try another "new" technique. Yes, I should read post #6 again about not trying new techniques.

Nothing went wrong.

I took a length of angle iron and clamped the front end of strake and the trailing edge of the wing to it.
PA140025.JPG
PA140025.JPG (128.64 KiB) Viewed 45954 times
Then using my heat gun on the low setting, I fanned back and forth across the glue joints while gently pushing the middle portion of the wing up against the angle wall. After about a minute, I clamped the rest of the wing in place against the wall and left it to cool.
PA140024.JPG
PA140024.JPG (125.85 KiB) Viewed 45954 times
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971