10 Most Anticipated Science Fiction Movies of 2016

Reviews, Comments and Information on new Science Fiction, Fantasy or other interesting TV shows, Films, Books, Radio Pays, etc.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1 10 Most Anticipated Science Fiction Movies of 2016

Post by bernomatic »

screenrant.com has a list from December I just came across listing its 10 most anticipated Sci-Fi movies that are to be released in 2016.
article link

Which ones are you looking forward to seeing?
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#2 Re: 10 Most Anticipated Science Fiction Movies of 2016

Post by luke strawwalker »

"Passengers" might be mildly interesting. Depends on how similar it is to how "The Martian" was done. Keira and I both loved "The Martian", although we both discussed a few technical inaccuracies we noticed-- I made her calculate WHY you couldn't use a drop cloth and duct tape to replace a missing hatch, and she succeeded.

The "Star Wars Story Rogue One" looks interesting. Hopefully it will be a little better than "The Force Awakens". I wasn't completely turned off by "TFA", but I was definitely not blown away by it either. After all the hype building up to it, when I actually saw it I was rather "Meh" when it was over. It just wasn't that good of a movie-- The story was weak, the characters weaker, and the writing weaker still. Seemed like just any other CGI-fest to me.

For the first time in my adult life, I probably won't waste ticket money on a Star Trek film. JJAbrams abomination and total destruction of the Trek Universe was bad enough, but it looks like classical literature compared to the sheer bucket full of steaming dog *oops you said word #1 (to quote one of our much beloved friends on another forum) that was "Into Darkness". This new one doesn't particularly inspire any more confidence. Congrats to the idiots running the Star Wars and Star Trek franchises now days-- you've managed to turn both franchises into bad remakes of the bazillion comic book garbage movies that litter Hollywood's recent history for the last decade or so like leaves on the forest floor after an autumn hurricane... and are worth just about as much.

As for everything else, remakes of remakes of remakes of remakes... GAH! Think I'll puke now. Somewhere along the line, the idea of remakes was lost-- the only reason to "remake" a movie is to make it BETTER than the original.... give it a different twist, or make it a parody of the original... but it needs to be a GOOD parody. Most of the remakes now are just BAD remakes... they either completely miss the spirit or intent of the original, or else they TRY to parody the original, but are just BAD parodies, which is worse than just doing nothing at all. Why I've pretty much given up on remakes.

Hollywood seems content to aim everything they produce for the big screen at separating the average mall rat from $10 bucks in ticket money. That pretty much leaves everyone with a brain in their head deciding they'd rather do something else, like watching paint dry or cars rust, or better yet watching the ORIGINAL movies done decades ago that these half-assed modern remakes couldn't hold a candle to on their best day. Certainly very little to NOTHING coming out of Hollywood that is truly original anymore, OR worth the money and time and effort to actually go to the theater to see it.

Oh well... that's my take on it anyway, FWIW!

OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#3 Re: 10 Most Anticipated Science Fiction Movies of 2016

Post by Rocket Babe »

I saw a trailer for a new X Men today that's due out soon. It looked interesting.
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#4 Re: 10 Most Anticipated Science Fiction Movies of 2016

Rocket Babe wrote:I saw a trailer for a new X Men today that's due out soon. It looked interesting.
If you like that sort of thing...

JAFCBM-- Just Another *oops you said word #3 Comic Book Movie, IMHO...

Sick and tired of stupid comic book movies, myself. More power to the ones that like them...

Later! OL J R :)
Trident
Space Chief Petty officer
Space Chief Petty officer

#5 Re: 10 Most Anticipated Science Fiction Movies of 2016

Post by Trident »

I wasn't aware that there were "spin-off" Star Wars movies in the works, if the Rogue 1 movie can be described as a spinoff. I'm game. We go to such few movies on the big screen that a Star Trek or Star Wars will always get my money. I think Passengers looks interesting. I really like Jennifer Lawrence in the Hunger Games movies, and thought Chris Pratt was great in Guardians of the Galaxy, so I'll throw my $20 at this one.

The Keanu Reeves movie, plus things like The Blob, and Steven King movies, are the reason I have Netflix! I'll wait for them, and MAYBE watch them, depending on how many things are on My List. speaking of Netflix, I'm almost done with the first three seasons of The Walking Dead. Wow, what a great show. I'm only into it now for about 10 days, so it definitely draws you into binge watching.

Finally, regarding the new Independence Day, can't we just have a nice BBQ and some fireworks, and move on? :)
Lee

Bulds: Estes Saturn V, Super Sky Hook, Farside-X
Awaiting Paint/Detailing: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Der Saturn Max, Bandit XL
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#6 Re: 10 Most Anticipated Science Fiction Movies of 2016

Yeah kinda looking forward to the SW 'spinoff' movies. Wasn't terribly impressed with the new SW movie, hoping the spinoffs will be better.

Don't think I'm gonna waste money on the next "Trek" film. The first one was bad enough, the last one was just awful. Think I'll just wait for it on Netflix-- shouldn't be too long of a wait by the looks of it.

None of the other stuff in the original post got more than a "meh" from me.

Later! OL J R :)