Scratch one rocket forum...

Scuttlebutt and tall tales
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#1 Scratch one rocket forum...

Post by luke strawwalker »

Well, I haven't been able to get onto "The Rocketry Spot" for a few days-- thought it was maybe a problem from my end, but looks like even Google can't find it... "no server" error.

Guess you can scratch one rocket forum. Shame to see... I think that the idea behind "the rocketry spot" was to provide a place for the experimental rocketeers to talk freely about mixtures, recipes, etc. that is forbidden on certain other forums with overactive moderators except to a handpicked few willing to jump through the hoops of getting the 'qualifications' to be admitted into their little circle. Guess folks would rather just "feel special" by having to jump through hoops than to have freedom to discuss what they like as they like it without having to obtain "permission" from a bunch of self-appointed prigs. Oh well.

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Re: Scratch one rocket forum...

Post by bernomatic »

I found it, but never was a member so I don't know about logging on. The last posting that I could see was May 12.

The Spot was one of those forums that came out after I started the original Cantina. That was when Scott was getting uptight at YOLF and TRF was having major issues. The Rocketry Spot and The Rocketry Center kinda stole the thunder from the Cantina. Guess I should have called it The Rocketry Cantina. :lol:

The thing is, Facebook has taken over from the forums. People go there for one stop shopping anymore. Personally, I think if you're looking for a place to get information on building and launching Facebook is not the way to go since it is near impossible to find something you saw two days ago.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#3 Re: Scratch one rocket forum...

Post by luke strawwalker »

It's back. But, like you said, nobody's posted there in a coon's age. I have YORF, RC, Rocketry Spot, and Sagitta Cantina bookmarked right ahead of the Paper Modeler's Page and the local "Old Rocketeers 724" yahoo groups page, and I check each one in order before going over to HayTalk forums. Rocketry Center usually has 1-2 new posts per day, sometimes skipping a day or two, but usually nothing of any interest to me. Mostly HPR nonsense. I remember when the latest kerfluffle happened on the Terribly Run Forum and there was a sudden "mass exodus" that resulted in a flurry of new forums, which was nice to see since Newton's Third and Rocketry Planet went toe-up a good while back. I signed up for both to support them and I check them daily (when I'm not away or otherwise too engaged in life to get on the computer at all) and was HOPING there'd be more interesting conversation to read and participate in. I was interested in Rocketry Spot because supposedly one of their big things was going to be "open air" discussions of 'roll your own' propellant and motor and ignitor stuff-- things that can only occur in the "red light district" of the Terribly Run Forum behind closed doors manned by their bouncer/moderators, and only open to the select few "chosen ones" willing to jump through whatever stupid hoops they want to put up in front of them. I thought it would be VERY refreshing to be able to read about the experimental side of hobby rocketry without having to know the 'secret knock' or whatever bullshit TRF wants to impose on discussion of such things. OH well...

I guess the "mass exodus" settled down into a wandering back like moths to a flame once whatever kerfluffle that set fur flying over at the Turd/Retard Forum blew over. Oh well...

As for Facebook... NO THANKS. I DO NOT FACEBOOK. Never have liked it, never will. I read a few things when my wife turns the laptop around for me to see them or tosses me her phone while she's goofing on it. I tried a time or two to look up some people I knew and I can't find a damn thing on there, and I don't like the way the thing operates...

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
Joe Wooten
Space Lieutenant
Space Lieutenant

#4 Re: Scratch one rocket forum...

Post by Joe Wooten »

As for Facebook... NO THANKS. I DO NOT FACEBOOK. Never have liked it, never will. I read a few things when my wife turns the laptop around for me to see them or tosses me her phone while she's goofing on it. I tried a time or two to look up some people I knew and I can't find a damn thing on there, and I don't like the way the thing operates
Agreed!!! I detest FaceCrack. I signed up several years ago and have not logged in for 2-3 years or more now. The wife and kids (except #2 son) are all over it all the time.