Upgrading the Renegade

Take us through your build strategies and ideas.
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#21 Re: Upgrading the Renegade

Post by tmacklin »

Yes, 2016 looks like a repeat of last year with heavy rain all over Texas. We've been fairly lucky where I live...only 9-10 inches in the past four weeks. Last year we got 18 inches in May alone IIRC.

I'm finished with the rebuild on the Renegade sustainer save and except fillets, sealers , primer and painting. These will have to wait until things dry out around here which I understand will happen in July when the temperature hits 105 and the dew point drops to a crisp 75 degrees.

Two days ago my 13 year old AC compressor gave up the ghost so we've been going through a survival drill. Today, my AC guy sent his crew out with a temporary unit and hooked it up until the parts for the new unit arrive. Of course, everything that used to work has been declared illegal, forcing us to either pony up more money or die of heat prostration. I understand that Donald and Hillary are working on solutions. :twisted:
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#22 Re: Upgrading the Renegade

Post by bernomatic »

All right, here's my next contribution to the Macklin Renegade Rebuild.

I can't put a time on it, since I have so many different projects going right now, but if I get the time and materials together, I can try and make a copy of the Renegade cockpit and send it to you. You would have to shape it so it would fit the nosecone, but that should be no problem for a hardnosed old coot like you, right? :roll:
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#23 Re: Upgrading the Renegade

Post by tmacklin »

bernomatic wrote:All right, here's my next contribution to the Macklin Renegade Rebuild.

I can't put a time on it, since I have so many different projects going right now, but if I get the time and materials together, I can try and make a copy of the Renegade cockpit and send it to you. You would have to shape it so it would fit the nosecone, but that should be no problem for a hardnosed old coot like you, right? :roll:
I appreciate your offer but I too have a lot going on right now as well, starting with the air conditioning system in my house. How do you intend to "copy" the cockpit, that is, by what technology? I'm assuming by 3-D printing? You know I've twice fashioned a catfish head nose "cone" out of a solid block of balsa, but it took FOREVER!
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#24 Re: Upgrading the Renegade

Post by tmacklin »

Here is the New, Improved, Two Stage Renegade almost ready for splashdown!

As is, less paint and nose weight, the total lift off weight with a D12-0 booster to a C6-5 sustainer will be 7.3 ounces or 208 grams for people in Cleveland. That ought to work.

I also made the launch lug 3/16 inch rather than 1/8" per the original design. This will eliminate much rod whip and wind bending.

Pics attached:
Attachments
IMG_1364.jpg
IMG_1364.jpg (495.62 KiB) Viewed 238806 times
IMG_1363.jpg
IMG_1363.jpg (390.92 KiB) Viewed 238806 times
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#25 Re: Upgrading the Renegade

Post by Commander »

There are many services planned to be available here on the Starport. While none are advertised yet because we are working out things. some are available to loyal Cantina members. We are able to turn the odd nose cone here and there, but are trying to figure out a way to mass produce the nose cones for the Sagitta Rocket designs. That being said, This would not be a turning job, but either a vacu-form or mold job that you could then glue to your nose cone much like what the one they offer at Apogee.

Another service coming before the next milennia is screen printing of decals. These will be a bit more durable than those from ALPS printers and we were looking into the possibility of making each decal an individual like the big boys do.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#26 Re: Upgrading the Renegade

Post by tmacklin »

I'm trying a "new for me" product on the balsa fins of my rebuilt Renegade sustainer, specifically Minwax Wood Hardener. I did some tests last evening on some 3/32" balsa scraps and the results look promising. Today I brushed this stuff on the fins and will give it at least 48 hours to cure. Full report will follow once I complete the painting.

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/mai ... d-hardener
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#27 Re: Upgrading the Renegade

Post by tmacklin »

Lately I have been inundated with repairs of most everything I possess, leaving little time for hobby activities. I did manage to find time to do repairs on some of my existing fleet including the Renegade which is now completely repainted. Yesterday would have would have been a perfect day for a flight...low humidity, clear blue sky, almost no wind and a high temperature in the low eighties. It was also a perfect day to paint the siding on my old shop building and wreck the scaffolding which has been in place almost a year. It is now gone and the worst of the painting has been done and the rat has been killed!
IMG_1286.jpg
IMG_1286.jpg (524.71 KiB) Viewed 238716 times
Tomorrow I will take pictures of my now completed Renegade using the backdrop of the newly painted north wall of my old shop. It's not "sex", but it'll have to do. ;)
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#28 Re: Upgrading the Renegade

Post by Commander »

Seems like the chore boat is extremely large this year. Everyone getting there secret bunkers ready for when HRC takes office and starts imposing tax after tax. :o

In spite of all that, I have not forgotten the promise of the canopy.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#29 Re: Upgrading the Renegade

Post by tmacklin »

As promised, more pictures. I hope to fly this soon, first on a C11-0 to a B6-4 and then on a D12-0 to a C6-5. But first I must finish painting on the wall of my shop or it will never get done.
Attachments
IMG_1414.jpg
IMG_1414.jpg (532.25 KiB) Viewed 238709 times
IMG_1412.jpg
IMG_1412.jpg (512.15 KiB) Viewed 238709 times
IMG_1410.jpg
IMG_1410.jpg (381.4 KiB) Viewed 238709 times
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#30 Re: Upgrading the Renegade

Post by tmacklin »

October is finally here (well, almost) and the weather is absolutely perfect to put this puppy back in the air. So tomorrow I and a friend are going to do a private launch of my rebuilt Renegade. I'll take some pics and do a launch report, hopefully with much better results than my spring launch.

:D