No more walking & talking in New Jersey?

Stories of our government yearning to show how great and helpful they are with their heads up their hind-sides, and you just wishing they would go away!
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1 No more walking & talking in New Jersey?

Post by bernomatic »

All right, I'll admit I have mixed emotions on this.

I'm typically not a cellphone loving person, I think a lot of today's societal ills, such as lack of direct communication (face to face) and other ills can be attributed to them. On the other hand, I cannot stand the government trying to solve all the problems of the world by creating laws (and raking in money from fines and court costs).

It seems that one New Jersey lawmaker, Assemblywoman Pamela Lampitt (D-Camden) feels it is necessary to control us and show her "greater wisdom" by putting forth a bill to fine and/or imprison anyone using a cell phone while crossing the street.
Under the bill, anyone found guilty of using a handheld phone while crossing the street would face the same penalty as jaywalkers, with half the fine going to educational programs on the dangers of texting while walking, according to the site. Persistent offenders could face 15 days in jail, according to philly.com.

“I see it every single day,” Lampitt said, according to the site. “Maybe they will think twice about it.”
This is a typical progressive idea to reign in the forces of nature as those who would seek Darwin awards as forced to put down their cell phones while crossing the street. The article doesn't mention it, but other sources make it sound like this law is against all walking down public paths while texting or using the cellphone. This article states, "while crossing the street", so it would seem taking a stroll is OK as long as you don't play in traffic.

I would contend that our gene pool is no longer becoming stronger now that we continue to try and safeguard the lives of those idiots who would not pay attention while crossing the street, especially in New Jersey.

article link here https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr- ... ake-it-so/
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
Joe Wooten
Space Lieutenant
Space Lieutenant

#2 Re: No more walking & talking in New Jersey?

Post by Joe Wooten »

God save us from our betters trying to "save" us.......
Trident
Space Chief Petty officer
Space Chief Petty officer

#3 Re: No more walking & talking in New Jersey?

Post by Trident »

Yep, let them pedestrians participate in the natural selection process. Nobody else is going to get hurt. The ones that scare me are the ones texting on their cell phones while driving.
Lee

Bulds: Estes Saturn V, Super Sky Hook, Farside-X
Awaiting Paint/Detailing: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Der Saturn Max, Bandit XL