Mars Snooper

Take us through your build strategies and ideas.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#1 Mars Snooper

Post by Commander »

I've been working on this Snooper for awhile now. Seems like every time I get close to doing the painting, something else snaps off. I gave the whole rocket a final primer coat Christmas Eve and was doing a finishing sanding getting ready for the color coats when pop, I felt one of the fins give. Of the nine fin joints on the lower part, I think I have reglued six of them. As can be seen in the pictures below, the glue joint is strong, as the tube is ripping. I am not handling the rocket roughly, but something in the joint is weak.
Mars Snooper
Mars Snooper
IMG_20161226_205953.jpg (961.54 KiB) Viewed 23704 times
Snooper pod
Snooper pod
IMG_20161226_210250.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 23704 times
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Re: Mars Snooper

Post by bernomatic »

Is it possible to have a new build in the First Aid thread section?
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
Joe Wooten
Space Lieutenant
Space Lieutenant

#3 Re: Mars Snooper

Post by Joe Wooten »

What kind of glue are you using?

I've got all the parts for a Snooper gathered up and ready to get started as soon as all the Christmas Crap is put away......
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#4 Re: Mars Snooper

Post by Commander »

To be honest, I don't recall. I should keep track of which I use on which rocket, but I have Tite Bond II; Gorilla Wood Glue; Elmer's Carpenter's Glue and of course new formula Elmer's White Glue. I also have some other fixatives I use in specific cases or have that I tried. Typically I use the Tite Bond II, but if I was in a mind to try something new it could have been something else.

The repair didn't go so well either as while doing some cleaning/rearranging, the thing fell of the bureau and knocked the fin off again. but I had only used some generic gel CNA on it to get it held on. Of course besides the fin falling off, a small chip in the primer appeared in the lower nose cone. :x Not a big one, but it will require some sanding to smooth the edges.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Trident
Space Chief Petty officer
Space Chief Petty officer

#5 Re: Mars Snooper

Post by Trident »

A little bit of trivia. Here is the Frank Tinsley artwork from 1959 that inspired the Mars Snooper kit. This print, as well as lots of other cool images, available from plan59.com.
IMG_0150.JPG
IMG_0150.JPG (140.15 KiB) Viewed 20363 times
Lee

Bulds: Estes Saturn V, Super Sky Hook, Farside-X
Awaiting Paint/Detailing: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Der Saturn Max, Bandit XL
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#6 Re: Mars Snooper

Post by Commander »

An up date on the Snoop.

I reglued the pod to the fin and promptly dropped it at which time the pod popped off again. :oops: :cry: :evil: Well, I'm not exactly an epoxy fan boy, I have had very limited success with anything I have used epoxy for. Quite frankly I don't find the extra work (mixing) and time constraints and additional weight to be worth the supposed "extra strength". I may have to amend that thought, but to just barely is it worth it on some applications.

I bought some JB Weld Wood Weld a while ago and have had the tubes in a drawer bouncing around with some other epoxies. Out it came for this fin.
IMG_20170117_203557.jpg
IMG_20170117_203557.jpg (1007.31 KiB) Viewed 20342 times
One of these days I'm going to remember the trick of laying masking tape along the sides of a fillet joint when applying epoxy.

Some sanding and filing later...
IMG_20170117_205217.jpg
IMG_20170117_205217.jpg (994.24 KiB) Viewed 20342 times
Now to fill and primer all the gouges.

The JB Wood Weld so far has given good support, but when fully cured is a pain to shape or smooth. I think its use is of a limited basis in model rocketry.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#7 Re: Mars Snooper

Post by luke strawwalker »

JB Weld is heavy and stout. Being an epoxy product, it SHOULD be "shape-able" using the same techniques used for epoxies, IE gloved finger dipped in alcohol, acetone, etc. That way excess can be wiped off and it can be brought as close as possible to the "final dried size/shape" as possible while it's still wet and workable...

But, your right-- it's use in model/LPR rockets is very limited IMHO. Epoxy with microballoons is probably a better solution... (definitely lighter and easier to work).

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#8 Re: Mars Snooper

Post by Commander »

The Wood Weld doesn't seem to be as heavy as the standard JB Weld epoxy, but that may be just an appearance perception because of its (the Wood Weld) lighter color.

I would put the joints to a drop test, but just can't get myself to intentionally drop this bird on the floor. I know it will see higher forces on the launch field, but it isn't in me to do it. Even attaching the parachute taking it up to the second floor and dropping it off the balcony can set my teeth to grinding. Putting it on the launch rod, launching on a weak engine into a strong (but still under safety code limits) winds is fine (like with the Renegade). I must be nuts :shock:
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#9 Re: Mars Snooper

Post by Commander »

i was going to give the Snooper a color coat today when I noticed that the exhaust nozzle had been dented at some point since I last painted it. As I straightened it out, several layers of paint and primer chipped off leaving a jagged edge. I covered the area in cn glue and set aside to dry, but my OCD has kicked in and I have to find a way to smooth the edges and make everything perfect again.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#10 Re: Mars Snooper

Post by luke strawwalker »

CN glue?? What's that??

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...