Why are our tax dollars going to this stuff?

Ways that our tax dollars are spent for good (really?) and for bad.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1 Why are our tax dollars going to this stuff?

Post by bernomatic »

I stopped into a bar near work on the way home tonight to say hello to the manager/bartender. Last Friday we were discussing Trumps first day in office. Tonight when I stopped in he brought up the fact that Trump has stopped grants to the National Endowment for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities and for Planned Parenthood.

Initially I agreed with the concern for the ending in funding for the NEA and the NEH and was defending the Planned Parenthood cuts. I wondered, why does the nation have to pay for among other things, certain women's abortions? Especially when one considers that these women are complaining about Senators being in their vaginas. I mean really? The Senators wouldn't be there in the first place ladies if you didn't insist that the government help fund those doing the abortions. It seems hypocritical to me to expect the tax payer to fund these things then complain because our politicians try to put regulations on it (read, get into your vaginas). I believe you do have a right to your own bodies, that you can do what you want, for the most part, to it and no man can say otherwise. Just don't expect us to foot the bill for it because somehow it is your right and therefor the taxpayers as a whole are somehow accountable. Could you imagine the flare up that would occur if a male (or female for that matter) insisted that the government pay for a "tummy tuck" because it was his right to his body?

Upon further reflection, I also consider the cutting of the grants to the other two agencies as appropriate. Consider this, my income is no where near even a median income. Money is tight, because of this, I have not gone to even a movie in a long time (last time in the theater was for Deathly Hallows part 2). Should the government, which is in debt, be paying for something non critical such as Arts and Humanities? It is debatable at the very least. Being a patron of the arts is something for those who have a lot of money to do, not for the government to take from the taxpayer for.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
Trident
Space Chief Petty officer

#2 Re: Why are our tax dollars going to this stuff?

Post by Trident »

You have to ask the question -- where does the argument for free stuff end? When the left says everybody deserves"X", you can say that besides Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness, what else is there? Well, they decided on Health Care. How about "Everybody deserves Food"? Why not add "Everybody deserves a Home, or Shelter"? Is there one single thing that the Left is willing to say "No, you don't deserve that, you need to go work for it."

If you are a fan of the late sci--fi author Robert A. Heinlein, you know his famous acronym -- TANSTAAFL -- There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.
Lee

Bulds: Estes Saturn V, Super Sky Hook, Farside-X
Awaiting Paint/Detailing: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Der Saturn Max, Bandit XL
Joe Wooten
Space Lieutenant
Space Lieutenant

#3 Re: Why are our tax dollars going to this stuff?

Post by Joe Wooten »

I have lived my life by TANSTAAFL.....
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#4 Re: Why are our tax dollars going to this stuff?

Post by Commander »

<SARCASM ALERT>

Ah come on guys, you mean I can't get free education for life?

Wait I have it, I think we need to have free Bacon, yeah that's it, when is the government going to start giving some free bacon to go with the free cheese.

Hey Luke, time to add some sows to the herd. :lol: I figure the Feds are going to start paying big time farm subsidies once my free bacon idea takes off.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Trident

#5 Re: Why are our tax dollars going to this stuff?

Post by Trident »

OK, I'm feeling conflicted ... free bacon? Wow, I love bacon, it makes me feel happy. When I'm happy I take better care of myself. When I do that I really don't need as much health care. Oh wait, if bacon is free, I will need more health care. I have so little self control when it comes to delicious meats.
Lee

Bulds: Estes Saturn V, Super Sky Hook, Farside-X
Awaiting Paint/Detailing: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Der Saturn Max, Bandit XL
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Re: Why are our tax dollars going to this stuff?

Post by bernomatic »

Let me tell you about the time my wife took me and the lads to Steak and Shake for all you can eat pancakes and free bacon. Well it was all you can eat pancakes, but not all you can eat free bacon like she thought. The deal was you got a free order of bacon equaling three slices.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#7 Re: Why are our tax dollars going to this stuff?

Post by luke strawwalker »

Trident wrote:OK, I'm feeling conflicted ... free bacon? Wow, I love bacon, it makes me feel happy. When I'm happy I take better care of myself. When I do that I really don't need as much health care. Oh wait, if bacon is free, I will need more health care. I have so little self control when it comes to delicious meats.
Mmmmm... bacon... MEAT CANDY!!!!

NOM NOM NOM!!!!

LOL:) Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#8 Re: Why are our tax dollars going to this stuff?

Post by luke strawwalker »

bernomatic wrote:Let me tell you about the time my wife took me and the lads to Steak and Shake for all you can eat pancakes and free bacon. Well it was all you can eat pancakes, but not all you can eat free bacon like she thought. The deal was you got a free order of bacon equaling three slices.
There's a place up near College Station that sells chicken fried bacon... yep, breaded and deep fried bacon.

If it wasn't bad enough for you... LOL:)

It's a good thing I don't live in South Carolina... my aunt and her family used to live in a tiny little wart of a town called "Iva", just south of Spartanburg. There was a cafe on the square, we used to go in there for breakfast...

Pancakes and fatback... holy cow... If you've never had fatback, you ain't lived... It's like the BACON of bacon... it's the prime rib of bacon... but it is PURE fat cooked to a golden crunch that then melts in your mouth like butter, smooth as silk, with all the salty goodness of bacon...

If I lived any closer to that place I'd be 300 pounds heavier than I am... LOL:)

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...