SemRoc Estes Midget

Take us through your build strategies and ideas.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#1 SemRoc Estes Midget

Post by Commander »

Started building the Midget this past week. This one is a Carl's Semroc version. No pictures yet.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#2 Re: SemRoc Estes Midget

Post by Commander »

Haven't had much time to work on this, even though I meant it as a quickie build and launch. :cry: Better days are coming though :) and I have been able to at least take a couple of pics :)
P6110072.JPG
P6110072.JPG (101.97 KiB) Viewed 9698 times
P6110070 (2).JPG
P6110070 (2).JPG (101.93 KiB) Viewed 9698 times
The balsa filler coat has been brushed on and I started sanding the sustainer's fins. If only Cortana would take dictation, I could write posts while sanding. :ugeek:
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Trident
Space Chief Petty officer

#3 Re: SemRoc Estes Midget

Post by Trident »

A neat little classic! Why is it I am so drawn to some of the simple little rockets from a 1/2 century ago? Well, for one, I guess it's because I could afford the simple little ones a 1/2 century ago! I could never afford a big Saturn, or a Mars Lander.

I was also a huge fan of stagers. My first was the Apogee II.

Looking forward to seeing this one completed, so let's get moving on this!
Lee

Bulds: Estes Saturn V, Super Sky Hook, Farside-X
Awaiting Paint/Detailing: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Der Saturn Max, Bandit XL
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#4 Re: SemRoc Estes Midget

Post by Commander »

I would like to say it surprises me when I put the first primer coat on a rocket to see all the blemishes and imperfections, but it really doesn't after all these years.

Fill and primer sprayed, pics in the morning or sometime soon.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Trident

#5 Re: SemRoc Estes Midget

Post by Trident »

Secret I learned from a John Boren (head of Estes R&D). A bunch of us hung out drinking beers and talking rockets one evening at NSL last month. Pried as much as we could out of John. :D
Use a good filler-primer, load the rocket with several heavy coats. (John doesn't even use sanding sealer on fins and nose cone.) Wet sand using a sanding sponge from Harbor Freight. They are cheap, $5.99 for 6. Repeat if seams aren't filled, or if grain shows. I did this routine twice, and everything was incredibly smooth. I had already used Sanding Sealer on fins, and may continue to do so. But John's rockets were flawless, so the technique works.

Note: I found the sponges to be a little thick. I ran them upright thru my bandsaw to make them thinner and more flexible.
Lee

Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#6 Re: SemRoc Estes Midget

Post by Commander »

P7010003.JPG
P7010003.JPG (133.02 KiB) Viewed 9650 times
P7010003.JPG
I don't generally fill the spirals anymore, by the time I have gotten to the finish coats they are already filled, so in a way in that regard I am following in John B.'s footsteps. With balsa nose cones I have my procedure down, three dunks into the pint size can of Brodak Sanding Sealer. After sanding a coat or two of primer and it's set. I have yet to really find a method for balsa fins that I like. The Elmer's Wood filler technique just seems like too much trouble, if done correctly.

Anyways, that's not quite what I was concerned about on this build. Because I was trying to push a quickie build, I neglected to coat the reducer cone with CNA to stiffen it. This has caused sections of the cone to pull away and create a gap at the joint with the body tube as the cone flexes under handling.
P7010003.JPG
P7010006.JPG
P7010006.JPG (145.37 KiB) Viewed 9650 times
P7010007.JPG
P7010007.JPG (147.5 KiB) Viewed 9650 times
P7010005.JPG
P7010005.JPG (154.46 KiB) Viewed 9650 times
Attachments
P7010009.JPG
P7010009.JPG (154.39 KiB) Viewed 9650 times
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Trident

#7 Re: SemRoc Estes Midget

Post by Trident »

Bernie,

Try brushing some thin CA onto the paper cone, right on top of the primer. I often drip thin CA where I want it, and use a Q-tip to spread it around. It should help to toughen the paper. If needed, you could even apply some Bondo Spot Putty or Squadron Putty over the sanded CA if there are any indentations. I've used CA a lot to toughen paper on a rocket, then filled any imperfections. All it takes is lots of patience!
Lee

Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#8 Re: SemRoc Estes Midget

Post by Commander »

I actually ended up using some bondo glazing & pot putty. Here are some pictures from tonight, I gave it a coat of Krylon silver. Boy do the defects start popping out (although they are not readily visible in the pictures).
P7090005.JPG
P7090005.JPG (84.47 KiB) Viewed 9628 times
P7090002.JPG
P7090002.JPG (95.08 KiB) Viewed 9628 times
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#9 Re: SemRoc Estes Midget

Post by luke strawwalker »

Commander wrote:I actually ended up using some bondo glazing & pot putty. Here are some pictures from tonight, I gave it a coat of Krylon silver. Boy do the defects start popping out (although they are not readily visible in the pictures).

P7090005.JPGP7090002.JPG
POT putty?? That stuff imported from northern California, Washington state, or Colorado?? LOL:)

I prefer SPOT putty myself... LOL:)

Later! OL J R :) :lol:
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#10 Re: SemRoc Estes Midget

Post by Commander »

luke strawwalker wrote:
Commander wrote:I actually ended up using some bondo glazing & pot putty. Here are some pictures from tonight, I gave it a coat of Krylon silver. Boy do the defects start popping out (although they are not readily visible in the pictures).

P7090005.JPGP7090002.JPG
POT putty?? That stuff imported from northern California, Washington state, or Colorado?? LOL:)

I prefer SPOT putty myself... LOL:)

Later! OL J R :) :lol:
You use what you want, and I'll stick with what makes me happy ;) Thing is I always seem to get the munchies when I'm working on my rockets.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971