Lathe Work

From Sandpaper blocks to 3D printers, what is helpful and what is a waste of money
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#1 Lathe Work

Post by Commander »

So when I acquired my woodworking lathe, I could never acquire the skill to turn nose cones precisely repeatedly, so last month I got a duplicator for the tabletop lathe. I put it together and attached it, then took a couple of pracice turns. Not that my skill is any better, but I did notice some issues mainly dealing with the fact the duplicator made the lathe top heavy.

So in true Starport fashion, rather than take the easy way out, I decided to make a new bench just for the lathe. The lathe itself doesn't seem to have any accommodations for securing it to the bench top, so I bought some angle braces and decided to drill some holes into the lathe and the bench. While the bench I was using may have been adequate, I felt I could make something more utile for all the lathe needs. Having watched a lot of Paul Sellers woodworking videos on YouTube, I decided to build my bench based on his "poor man's work bench", which as an aside while being inexpensive (using mostly 2" x 4"s) is actually a very sturdy and adaptable woodworking bench. :arrow: part 1 video

Well I have the laminated bench top almost complete, so by January I figure it will be ready for me. :roll:
P6110055.JPG
P6110055.JPG (132.52 KiB) Viewed 15001 times
P6110061.JPG
P6110061.JPG (138.92 KiB) Viewed 15001 times
All the shavings seen (and more) are from the benchtop and not from any lathe turning. :cry:
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#2 Re: Lathe Work

Post by luke strawwalker »

Nice setup... OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
Trident
Space Chief Petty officer

#3 Re: Lathe Work

Post by Trident »

I've only done really nice nose cones with a chuck, and most recently, a collet chuck. I add a dowel to the turning block, and insert it into the same size collet. Then the nose cone can be removed, and reinserted, with no concern regarding registration. Here is an upscale of a nose cone from the old Estes Saros rocket. It is my oldest in my fleet, built in 1976.
IMG_1033.JPG
IMG_1033.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 11721 times
IMG_1036.JPG
IMG_1036.JPG (667.3 KiB) Viewed 11721 times
Lee

Bulds: Estes Saturn V, Super Sky Hook, Farside-X
Awaiting Paint/Detailing: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Der Saturn Max, Bandit XL
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Re: Lathe Work

Post by bernomatic »

Looks great Lee, can I get you to turn about a hundred for the Sagitta Bolt that way? ;)
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#5 Re: Lathe Work

Post by luke strawwalker »

Yeah, nice work! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
Trident

#6 Re: Lathe Work

Post by Trident »

bernomatic wrote:Looks great Lee, can I get you to turn about a hundred for the Sagitta Bolt that way? ;)
Bernie, love you like a brother, but that's not exactly how I wanted to spend my retirement! Anyway, not sure I could make that many before I join the rocket gods up in the sky ... :o
Lee

Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#7 Re: Lathe Work

Post by Commander »

P6250010.JPG
P6250010.JPG (157.95 KiB) Viewed 11692 times
Did a little practicing on the lathe today with the duplicator. The first one didn't turn out too well, but the second was passable. This was turned out of scrap 2 x 4, Until I get a better grasp of the duplicator, I don't want to try balsa yet.

That's an insect series nose cone (13mm BT). Seeing as it took me about an hour, somethings are going to have to change if I am to start making kits.

One thing that is changing is that I've ordered a Nova G3 chuck and a mini spigot jaw set. I'm sure they will be a vast improvement over my current chuck.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Trident

#8 Re: Lathe Work

Post by Trident »

I have the Nova G3, as well as the cheaper one (Precision Midi). Great chucks. I have more jaw sets than I'll ever use, too, but bought them on sale. I think you'll be happy with the G3.
Lee

Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#9 Re: Lathe Work

Post by Commander »

I wonder why it is that you can't get a specific jaw set when purchasing the main chuck? I probably will never use the standard jaws that come with the chuck, and have to order the ones I will.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Trident

#10 Re: Lathe Work

Post by Trident »

Commander wrote:I wonder why it is that you can't get a specific jaw set when purchasing the main chuck? I probably will never use the standard jaws that come with the chuck, and have to order the ones I will.
Yeah, I do not use them that much. And when I bought the Midi Precision, it came with the same jaw set. It would be nice if they just were sold with no jaws, but I bought both of them on sale, so its not a huge concern.

If you ever get the Beall collet chuck, it comes with a selection of collets. Beall sells "fill-in" sizes so you have every conceivable range to clamp anything. But you can buy add-on collets from LittleMachineShop.com lots cheaper. As I recall, these are ER-32 collets. If youve ever considered a metal lathe or milling machine, check out this site. Really nice stuff!
Lee