SemRoc Estes Midget

Take us through your build strategies and ideas.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#11 Re: SemRoc Estes Midget

Post by Commander »

Closer.... Closer...

Airbrushed the white using Brodak Insignia White.
P7160002.JPG
P7160002.JPG (105.63 KiB) Viewed 8754 times
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Trident
Space Chief Petty officer
Space Chief Petty officer

#12 Re: SemRoc Estes Midget

Post by Trident »

Looks smooooth! How do you like the Brodak dopes? I hear the sanding sealer is amazing. When I run out of my Deft Lacquer Sanding Sealer, I'll try it. May have to try the dope colors also. I'm dying to try my airbrush again.
Lee

Bulds: Estes Saturn V, Super Sky Hook, Farside-X
Awaiting Paint/Detailing: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Der Saturn Max, Bandit XL
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#13 Re: SemRoc Estes Midget

Post by Commander »

Trident wrote:Looks smooooth! How do you like the Brodak dopes? I hear the sanding sealer is amazing. When I run out of my Deft Lacquer Sanding Sealer, I'll try it. May have to try the dope colors also. I'm dying to try my airbrush again.
As mentioned in Post #6, I have nose cones down quickly and easily with the Brodak Sanding Sealer. This entails dipping the nose cone down to just into the shoulder line into a pint size can of the Brodak Sanding Sealer. I then pull it out and hold it above the can can till the sealer dripping off it takes about 45-60 seconds between drips (usually about 4-5 minutes depending on the size of the cone). I then flip the cone nose up and set it aside to dry. a light sanding follows. I then repeat two more times and typically the cone is as smooth as a baby's bottom. I also shoot a coat of primer which typically is more likely to be a coat of either flat white or flat black generic paint from Walmart.

Not that I'm not happy with the sanding sealer for the fins, but generally I am always experimenting with different techniques for filling the fins. On the midget I did brush on 4 coats of the sealer, but then I used two coats of the sandable filler primer from Rustoleum. I than covered one gain hollow which would not fill with the Bondo Spot Putty, another coat of filler primer, a coat of Krylon silver a cooat of filler primer; two coats of flat white and two coats of the Insignia White.

I keep feeling like I must be doing something wrong with the sanding sealer or I am just way more finnicky than some.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#14 Re: SemRoc Estes Midget

Post by Commander »

Second color added today. She just needs a fine sand, decals and gloss coat. Then it's time to fly.
P7230008.JPG
P7230008.JPG (96.92 KiB) Viewed 8740 times
The blue is Brodak's Caribbean Turquoise which I think needs a bit more blue to be an exact match to the 1973 catalog.
:arrow: link Of course I really didn't feel the need to match it exactly at this time, especially seeing as I am having fun trying to get a paint mixture where it isn't drying half way to the model. Brodak has a retarder, I may have to break down and buy some to try it out. :(
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#15 Re: SemRoc Estes Midget

Post by Commander »

Did a little touch up work with one of my smaller airbrushes. I must say it is nice to be able to go in and recolor a dot from a sandthrough without having to mask up the whole thing.

Gloss coat and stickers this weekend and my quickie build will be finished almost three months after starting it.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#16 Re: SemRoc Estes Midget

Post by Commander »

Nearly finished, a little early for the glam shot, but...
P7290001.JPG
P7290001.JPG (55.33 KiB) Viewed 8724 times
Just needs a final gloss coat to seal and protect the decals, then we can call this one done.

Not as detailed a build thread as I would like, but as I mentioned previously, this was supposed to be a "speed build" to get me through a building slump (actually a finishing slump, as I have numerous projects in some sort of progress).

I'm not overly happy with Carl's decision to keep it fitted for the shorty engines and the stop gap measure to fit a mini engine, but short of producing shorty engines, I have no way safety code acceptable way to maintain the nostalgia involved with rockets designed for the engines.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Joe Wooten
Space Lieutenant
Space Lieutenant

#17 Re: SemRoc Estes Midget

Post by Joe Wooten »

Commander wrote:I'm not overly happy with Carl's decision to keep it fitted for the shorty engines and the stop gap measure to fit a mini engine, but short of producing shorty engines, I have no way safety code acceptable way to maintain the nostalgia involved with rockets designed for the engines.
Safety code acceptable...... it's easy to cut off A8/B6-0 boosters and A8-5's to fit in this Midget. The NAR does not have 24/7 monitors on all members.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#18 Re: SemRoc Estes Midget

Post by Commander »

After all these years you expect me to go rogue? :o Manufactured engines are an absolute, no adaptations or fiddling allowed. :roll:
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#19 Re: SemRoc Estes Midget

Post by luke strawwalker »

Commander wrote:After all these years you expect me to go rogue? :o Manufactured engines are an absolute, no adaptations or fiddling allowed. :roll:
giveyourselftothedarkside.jpg
giveyourselftothedarkside.jpg (105.17 KiB) Viewed 8714 times
Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
Joe Wooten
Space Lieutenant
Space Lieutenant

#20 Re: SemRoc Estes Midget

Post by Joe Wooten »

luke strawwalker wrote:
Commander wrote:After all these years you expect me to go rogue? :o Manufactured engines are an absolute, no adaptations or fiddling allowed. :roll:
giveyourselftothedarkside.jpg

Later! OL J R :)

We have cookies........