Currently Unemployed

What we have all come to expect and love/detest from our employees that ignore us
Joe Wooten
Space Lieutenant
Space Lieutenant

#1 Currently Unemployed

Post by Joe Wooten »

I've liked to joke the last few months that I worked for a bankrupt company (Westinghouse Nuclear) while living in a bankrupt state. Well, one thing did change last Tuesday. I was laid off. Actually, forcibly "retired", so I cannot collect unemployment even if I wanted to. I had almost 14 years with the company and am 61, so since I qualified for early retirement, I was "retired".

I saw this coming about a month ago, as a lot of little hinky things started happening. Managers who usually replied to my emails and phone calls were very slow getting back to me, work started drying up, and several informal working teams I was a member of suddenly started "forgetting" to include me in on communications. My performance review was 6 weeks late and the excuses were very lame as to why. Then, two weeks ago, I finally got it, and after 12 years of 3.25 or higher on a scale of 1 to 4, I got a 1. That told me all I needed to know. I'm a highly paid old fart and they wanted to lighten the financial load, even though damn near all the executives currently in charge were the ones who helped get the company in the mess it was in, none of them are gone, just quite a few older engineers near retirement age with a bunch of underperforming millennials.

When I got the $hitty review, I activated several "escape hatches" I had prepared in May when my suspicions had been raised. I had a phone interview with one the last Thursday in July and an offer should be arriving in the mail in the next few days. I'll be having two more interviews at the end of the month. I' taking off on a long planned fishing trip to the Canadian backwoods of western Ontario north of Kenora this week and won't be back until the middle of the month.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Re: Currently Unemployed

Post by bernomatic »

I am saddened to hear of Westinghouse Nuclear's lose, and overjoyed to hear of your freedom. When the Lord closes one door, he opens another, or a window, or... an escape hatch! I hope all your plans pan out and that you have an enjoyable trip to Canada. Sometimes it's tough to start out on a new venture, but what you are leaving behind doesn't sound as stable as it should.

While the new president may affect some of the regulations and hurdles that affect companies like Westinghouse, He can't necessarily change the thinking that got them in trouble. I would hope that he doesn't play the politics game the past two presidents did and try and interfere by keeping the company afloat. Rather I would like to see an approach along the lines of Regan and the S&L's in which he let the weak ones founder and close. Of course that would no longer affect you, Joe, and you are free and clear to navigate and find blessings in other places.

May your journey to happiness be short and the currents keep you far from troubled waters.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#3 Re: Currently Unemployed

Post by tmacklin »

It seems like working for "corporate america' seldom has a happy ending. The Gold Watch at the end of the rainbow is a myth and who needs to keep time when one is unemployed? I hope you catch your limit up in Canada and discover the joy of freedom in your "retirement". I got retired in 1972 and have been searching for useful things to do ever since!

Good luck to you Joe.
Ted
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#4 Re: Currently Unemployed

Post by Rocket Babe »

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The same thing happened to us 4 years ago when Randy & I were laid off the same day. I was his direct supervisor. In your mid 50's is not the time to be looking for a new job. I'm glad you have some retirement from it. Due to Obama care I had to take 2 jobs to make close to the same salary and find affordable insurance. :evil:

I had hoped to see the light at the end of the tunnel long before now but the republicans are no better than the democrats when it comes to doing anything for someone who isn't in Congress. :evil:

I hope your search is faster, better and more rewarding. :)
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Re: Currently Unemployed

Post by bernomatic »

Rocket Babe wrote:I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The same thing happened to us 4 years ago when Randy & I were laid off the same day. I was his direct supervisor. In your mid 50's is not the time to be looking for a new job. I'm glad you have some retirement from it. Due to Obama care I had to take 2 jobs to make close to the same salary and find affordable insurance. :evil:

I had hoped to see the light at the end of the tunnel long before now but the republicans are no better than the democrats when it comes to doing anything for someone who isn't in Congress. :evil:

I hope your search is faster, better and more rewarding. :)
Verna,

I hear what you are saying about the "Republicans". The problem isn't the conservatives, but in those referred to as the GOPe (GOP establishment). These are the Republicans who think they can stay in office by playing both ends against the middle. It is a slow change, but once a head of steam is built up, it will soar like one of your Saturn V's. :shock: 8-)

I have seen this behavior first hand in my Senator from Ohio, Rob Portman, who claims he is a conservative, and yet he was one of the ones who voted against the repeal. I didn't vote for him in this past election as he showed he was a fair weather type and bailed on his support of Donald Trump after the locker room talk incident.
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#6 Re: Currently Unemployed

Post by tmacklin »

Every public official in the United States, elected or appointed, must take an oath to "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution and the laws of the United States..." before he or she assumes any office. I wonder how many of these fine public servants have actually bothered to read the Constitution, let alone understand it. Looks to me like that taking the oath is now just a formality, like standing for the Nation Anthem at a ball game or saying Amen at church on Sunday.

I think it will take a miracle from God to save our nation.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Re: Currently Unemployed

Post by bernomatic »

Ted, ever hear the one about the blonde in the flood? As the waters began to rise, she prayed. Lord, save me from these waters.
A short time later, a man drove up in a monster truck. "Climb in," he yelled, "and I'll get you out of here." The blonde called back, "thank you, but the Lord will save me."
Well the waters continued to rise and soon they were at the second floor level. A man in a boat floated by and shouted, "climb aboard and I'll get you to safety." The blonde repeated, "no, the Lord is going to save me."
So, the waters reached the roof level and the blonde climbed out on it. A helicopter flew overhead and over it's loudspeaker the pilot called, "I'll lower the safety line, attach it around your waist and I'll hoist you to safety." The blonde waved the helicopter off, screaming, "the Lord is going to save me."
The waters continued to rise and before too long, the blonde was washed away and drowned.
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#8 Re: Currently Unemployed

Post by tmacklin »

Dumb Blondes ye shall have with you always.

bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Re: Currently Unemployed

Post by bernomatic »

So the day of reckoning comes and the blonde stands before the Lord and says, "Lord, why did you forsake me? I prayed and believed you would come and rescue me."

And the Lord answered, "I don't know what more I could have done. I sent a truck, a boat and a helicopter...."
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#10 Re: Currently Unemployed

Post by luke strawwalker »

Rocket Babe wrote:I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Yes, ditto there... sorry to hear it. Companies DEMAND loyalty nowdays, but they certainly don't give it... any shitty thing they can do to save a buck, they'll do to you...
Rocket Babe wrote: The same thing happened to us 4 years ago when Randy & I were laid off the same day. I was his direct supervisor. In your mid 50's is not the time to be looking for a new job. I'm glad you have some retirement from it.
True, true... NO time is really a good time to be looking for a job nowdays... not a "real" job anyway...
Rocket Babe wrote: Due to Obama care I had to take 2 jobs to make close to the same salary and find affordable insurance. :evil:
Yep another gift from the "beloved leader" to the working folks (AKA "the deplorables") who actually pay for all his downtrodden masses...
Rocket Babe wrote:I had hoped to see the light at the end of the tunnel long before now but the republicans are no better than the democrats when it comes to doing anything for someone who isn't in Congress. :evil:

Nope... this ain't you're Daddy's Republicans anymore... about as far from the "Reagan Republicans" or even the "Contract with America" Republicans as you can get... IOW, Demoncrats in sheep's clothing. No such thing as "TRUE conservatives" in DC anymore... just a bunch of self-serving hypocrites... I got no use for any of them... To hell with them all...
Rocket Babe wrote:I hope your search is faster, better and more rewarding. :)
Yep... best of luck! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...