USS Andromeda

bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1 USS Andromeda

Post by bernomatic »

So as any longtime visitor to the Starport, or even YOLF may be able to you or knows, I have been in the process of building a clone of the Estes USS Andromeda for about eight years. This is a labor of love and not to be rushed. I have already had to restart from scratch once previously when the rocket fell from its perch and pushed the engine holder clip forward ripping the engine mount tube, which is the smaller diameter body tube running almost the full length of the rocket.

Any ways, after trying the Createx Colors paints and not having any luck, I decided to try it with the Brodak Dope. This past Saturday I took it outside and started spraying. I used the GH concoction thinner of 35% MEK, 35% xylene and 30% Acetone in a two parts dope to one part thinner ratio.

The first two coats seemed to go on well, but I run into trouble with the third. I don';t know what exactly happened on that third coat, but there was a fuzzy layer to the coat as if the paint was drying to quickly while still in the air. There is no real damage, but instead of just a light sanding and couple of additional coats, it looks like I while need to sand smooth, though not necessarily down to the primer before re-coating.

The temperature that day was climbing along with the humidity which was hoovering around 65% when I finished spraying.

In addition, I would suggest anyone spraying dope, especially thinned dope, clear their airbrush between coats. The thinner really does a job to the rubber o-rings. At least in my Master air brushes.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#2 Re: USS Andromeda

Post by luke strawwalker »

Orange peel... Bane of old car painters back in the days of lacquer... The solvents are too "hot" and evaporate quickly, making for "dry spray"... Sounds like you had a good recovery....

What happened to the createx stuff?

Later! OL J R
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Re: USS Andromeda

Post by bernomatic »

I'm still using it, just on smaller stuff than a 4' long rocket. I did the MPC Tauraus-1 in Createx. I have pictures, actually too many pictures and am not too good at organizing this stuff.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Re: USS Andromeda

Post by bernomatic »

Here's some pictures after the painting last week.
101_0434.JPG
101_0434.JPG (555.74 KiB) Viewed 6478 times
101_0435.JPG
101_0435.JPG (534.56 KiB) Viewed 6478 times
101_0436.JPG
101_0436.JPG (546.76 KiB) Viewed 6478 times