MPC Taurus-1

Take us through your build strategies and ideas.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Re: MPC Taurus-1

Post by bernomatic »

Been painting this thing, actually priming and now a base coat. I decided to use the Createx Colors in my airbrush. Well I started to get spatter. With most paints this is not a major problem in a base coat.
MPC Tauraus paint spots.JPG
MPC Tauraus paint spots.JPG (602.43 KiB) Viewed 7065 times
With Createx, it can be a major issue as, if you followed the thread in the Airbrushing sub-forum, you really can't sand coats easily.

We'll see how it turns out
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Re: MPC Taurus-1

Post by bernomatic »

Spent a bit of time on painting the Taurus this past week. Went with the Createx Wicked colors over A Rustoleum filler primer and a few layers of Createx Airbrush Colors white (see previous post).
MPC Tauraus-1.JPG
MPC Tauraus-1.JPG (436.65 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
I've had some learning experiences with the Createx Paints, both the Wicked Colors and the Airbrush Colors. The majority of the knowledge deals with patience. I'll put my reflections on such things in the Airbrush Section. Suffice it to say, I dealt with the spatters.

As to the photo above, I think I will have to use a different back drop as even the camera was focusing on the wrong place.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Re: MPC Taurus-1

Post by bernomatic »

Oh, for anyone interested, here is a scan of the supplied decals in the kit. Pretty generic, although a couple of the roll patterns are unique.
Attachments
MPC Tauraus-1 Decals.jpg
MPC Tauraus-1 Decals.jpg (649.45 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Re: MPC Taurus-1

Post by bernomatic »

And the finished photos:
MPC Taurus reporting for duty.JPG
MPC Taurus reporting for duty.JPG (366.59 KiB) Viewed 6981 times
back side.JPG
back side.JPG (397.12 KiB) Viewed 6981 times
as can be noted in the photo above, I has a bit of a problem matching the ends of the roll pattern up.
Other than that, looking good. The Wicked Colors paint finished nice and smooth.

We'll she how she flies some time this week.
Trident
Space Chief Petty officer
Space Chief Petty officer

#15 Re: MPC Taurus-1

Post by Trident »

The colors look great! I tried Createx years ago in my airbrush and finish looked bad. But I’d really like to revisit using them. Did you clear coat over these? I’d read that clear coating is the secret. Your rocket looks pretty glossy.
Lee

Bulds: Estes Saturn V, Super Sky Hook, Farside-X
Awaiting Paint/Detailing: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Der Saturn Max, Bandit XL
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#16 Re: MPC Taurus-1

Post by bernomatic »

Trident wrote:The colors look great! I tried Createx years ago in my airbrush and finish looked bad. But I’d really like to revisit using them. Did you clear coat over these? I’d read that clear coating is the secret. Your rocket looks pretty glossy.
Yes, I used the Rustoleum Acrylic Clear coat. If you go to the Createx sub-forum in the Air brushing forum, you will see a topic on some of my recent findings. Besides the proper drying and curing of the Createx paints, I have found a better finish by the use of Pledge *with Future shine as a thinning agent.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#17 Re: MPC Taurus-1

Post by bernomatic »

Over two years and I finally light the candle. :?

I have some nice film on it, but it really has to be edited and all that crap.

A couple of comments though.
First, I built this to the original specs., which means the engine mount was set up for the longer 13mm engines that MPC sold. This issue was resolved simple by sliding two BT-5 engine blocks into place.

Second, I was launching from a small field nearby and thus used a 1/4A3-3T engine. This ended up with the ejection charge firing about 15-20' above the ground. The chute didn't get to fully deploy, but the rocket is so small and light, and landed on grass, thus no damage occurred.

Finally, I guess I didn't secure the engine well enough as at the ejection charge it went flying out the rear of the rocket like a bad case of the runs. With the low altitude at the moment, the engine casing could have become a injury causing projectile. :o :(

Some pics
101_1485.JPG
101_1485.JPG (493.71 KiB) Viewed 4589 times
101_1488.JPG
101_1488.JPG (509.33 KiB) Viewed 4589 times