Just a word of warning to Spammers

On occasion, a spambot gets through the defenses and before I can eradicate him, another member responds to the spam thread. When I eliminate the spambot account, it deletes the spambot's posts, but if it created a new thread and a member posted, the member's post is left behind. I do not delete member's posts except on rare occasions. So here are the SpamBot threads with the members posts. I have also started using it to temporarily hold threads that I believe are created by spambots till I can deal with them.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1 Just a word of warning to Spammers

Post by bernomatic »

Forums are not democracies. Forums may be publicly accessible, but they are NOT public spaces. They are equitable to the front yard of homes, and any speaking that is done in them is at the grace of the forum owner.
Some forum owners decide that in order to cut spam down to a minimum, they will use a central reporting and blacklist service. If you spam (advertise without the behest of a forum owner), then you may fall onto a blacklist, and find your access limited by hundreds, or in the case of StopForumSpam's blacklist, thousands of forums.
There are no rights on forums. Even as a member, you are a guest.

While at the present The Sagitta Cantina does not use an automated system to check new members, we do look up IP addresses, Emails and/or user names on StopForumSpam. If you are listed there under any one of these items, your membership may be deleted without warning.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#2 Re: Just a word of warning to Spammers

Post by luke strawwalker »

Good... lets hope it cuts down on the crap that NOBODY here wants to read... :)

You wanna sell something-- GO ELSEWHERE!

OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Re: Just a word of warning to Spammers

Post by bernomatic »

They're still attacking the walls, today I noticed 197 guests had been active in the past 24 hours. Usually that number is around 20-30. So out of the 190 assailing the Starport (assuming some may have been actual guests), two got in. The app I use looks at the username, IP address, and email address. It then totals the hits it gets against their database and compares that number against a numerical setting by the forum owner. Mine is five, so there would have to be five total previous reportings of that name, IP address, and/or email address. Since their wasn't, that user's registration was allowed to go through. It is then up to me to blast the fellow as he comes in through the airlock.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#4 Re: Just a word of warning to Spammers

bernomatic wrote:They're still attacking the walls, today I noticed 197 guests had been active in the past 24 hours. Usually that number is around 20-30. So out of the 190 assailing the Starport (assuming some may have been actual guests), two got in. The app I use looks at the username, IP address, and email address. It then totals the hits it gets against their database and compares that number against a numerical setting by the forum owner. Mine is five, so there would have to be five total previous reportings of that name, IP address, and/or email address. Since their wasn't, that user's registration was allowed to go through. It is then up to me to blast the fellow as he comes in through the airlock.
"Stand by to laser it!" -- Hugo Drax, Moonraker.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#5 Re: Just a word of warning to Spammers

Post by Commander »

I am seeing a significant decrease in the number of bots making it through to registration.

Who knew, a fire WALL works :roll:
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#6 Re: Just a word of warning to Spammers

Commander wrote: Sun, 30 Dec 18, 19:04 pm I am seeing a significant decrease in the number of bots making it through to registration.

Who knew, a fire WALL works :roll:
Now you just gotta figure out a way to make THEM pay for it! LOL:)

Later! OL J R :)