Figured I better get it started if I want to fly it on the anniversary: Saturn V Estes 2157

Take us through your build strategies and ideas.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#1 Figured I better get it started if I want to fly it on the anniversary: Saturn V Estes 2157

Post by Commander »

101_1201.JPG
101_1201.JPG (714.4 KiB) Viewed 10303 times
Orpheus helping out
Orpheus helping out
101_1203.JPG (736.06 KiB) Viewed 10303 times
Last edited by Commander on Tue, 09 Jul 19, 03:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#2 Re: Figured I better get it started if I want to fly it on the anniversary

Post by Commander »

UPDATE:

I'm making progress, but decided with the time frame available, I won't do a real build log, just a hit and run. Besides I would have to edit out too many curse words. Speaking of which, who was the sadist who designed the escape tower pieces? :x any normal person doing it would have made it two parts, or if you wanted to keep the price down by the parts being flat, have four parts all the same. One leg and the one side of the framework. Here was my solution for getting the framework pieces in the right place and keeping the side flat.
Escape Tower assembly.JPG
Escape Tower assembly.JPG (270.3 KiB) Viewed 10294 times
Escape Tower.JPG
Escape Tower.JPG (264.17 KiB) Viewed 10294 times
Inside Escape Tower.JPG
Inside Escape Tower.JPG (253.26 KiB) Viewed 10294 times
There was no way, short of magic, I was getting that inside ring completely centered.
Last edited by Commander on Mon, 08 Jul 19, 18:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#3 Re: Figured I better get it started if I want to fly it on the anniversary

Post by Commander »

Major catastrophe averted! :D

I took today off, and of course the RLS (Registered Land Surveyor) for Texas calls to talk about something. I get distracted and spill the liquid plastic cement on my work area :o

A bunch of the wraps, the fins and some other plastic pieces were laying about and a good quarter of the bottle spilled. After some fast action (and a few cuss words) everything was moved out of the hazmat area. Two fins almost got glued together, but other than that, I think I moved quick enough to keep anything else from getting damaged.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#4 Re: Figured I better get it started if I want to fly it on the anniversary

Post by Commander »

Finally figured out what all those rubber bungee strips Estes adds to the kits are for. Even though it's not mentioned inn the directions, but then a lot of things aren't mentioned in today's Estes' directions.
Estes Shock Cord use.JPG
Estes Shock Cord use.JPG (499.52 KiB) Viewed 10291 times
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#5 Re: Figured I better get it started if I want to fly it on the anniversary: Saturn V Estes 2157

Post by Commander »

I now wish I had used my typical method of creating the conical paper shrouds. That is to turn the forms on the lathe to mold the paper shrouds to. If I have the wood, this is a matter of an half to full hour to turn the forms. Well Haste makes waste, or at least wastes as much or more time than doing it the long way.

The first shroud, the "I forget it's name" cone is to wide at the base to connect to the lower stage and the wrap doesn't help matters. The second cone, The LM shroud, sorta collapsed along the seam line a bit and created a noticeable divot.

I may be taking them off and trying to remake them this weekend.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#7 Re: Figured I better get it started if I want to fly it on the anniversary: Saturn V Estes 2157

Post by Commander »

You mean a C-11-3 ain't gonna cut it? :(
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#8 Re: Figured I better get it started if I want to fly it on the anniversary: Saturn V Estes 2157

Post by Rocket Babe »

No C 11 in my single engine Saturn V. If you use a C 11 make sure there is NO wind.

No E's period, ever, in anything! :evil: Unless you are making a cato video with a rocket you wish to destroy.

Save your breath about E's being ok. I've seen too many destroy awesome rockets in cooler weather. :cry:
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#9 Re: Figured I better get it started if I want to fly it on the anniversary: Saturn V Estes 2157

Post by Commander »

Well I have come to the sad conclusion that my Saturn V won't be ready for the July 20th anniversar6y :cry: Too many things have conspired to keep me from being able to complete it in time, unless do a slap dash build, which just isn't in me.

I cut off the original shroud for the LEM and tried printing a new one using dimensions I took from the tubes. Well I don't know what the issue is as of now, but it could be that the printer printed it at fit to paper rather than at full scale. but because of that issue, I got sidetracked on something else. Mainly finally setting up the Starport Sagitta command center (formerly known as the oldest son's bedroom).
Starport Sagitta Command Center.jpg
Starport Sagitta Command Center.jpg (124.94 KiB) Viewed 10250 times
I moved the printer down to the Command Center and cleaned it, but to hook it up to the computer is another task, as I want to do through the router so I can print from any of the computers in the house. Well, that isn't as easy as I thought it was going to be. Long story short, the printer is out of commission for the time being. :x

I did start turning the form for the shroud though.

Now there must be as many ways to build the paper shrouds out there as there are methods of painting and finishing the end rocket. I'm not saying my standard way of doing it is the best, but with the turned wood form, it can make life easier.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#10 Re: Figured I better get it started if I want to fly it on the anniversary: Saturn V Estes 2157

Post by Commander »

Figured I better order the 1969 version before they are discontinued and disappear except for the high priced EBay ones. Contemplating the build, I have contemplated building it as a 5 18mm engine version.

As for the 2001 version I was working on, I still pick up a piece every now and again and mull over how I am going to continue. My usual decisive self. :)
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971