Storing your model rockets

For those who are content to get the same thrill (without the extra cost) of the High Power Peple
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1 Storing your model rockets

Post by bernomatic »

Here at the Starport, we have been doing some remodeling in the command center. The top of my desk hutch just wasn't a safe place to store my rockets anymore and dings and dents (and other major damages) were being incurred when a cat silked across the terrain or one of the dogs banged into the desk and a rocket would tumble to the deck. So I did some brain storming. I liked the adaptability of a peg board and its ease of rearranging, but the aesthetics just didn't impress me.

I looked around the web and saw some great stuff for tool rooms with french cleat system. I started on the project at the beginning of September, and in my usual slow paced way have started with this...
rocket french cleats.JPG
rocket french cleats.JPG (237.89 KiB) Viewed 8388 times
I was planning on making this post in a couple of weeks, but someone on facebook was asking how we stored our rockets, so I pasted a pic. I'll update as things progress.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#2 Re: Storing your model rockets

Post by Rocket Babe »

Looks nice. Ours are standing or are in a box in our tornado shelter in the garage below our 1st floor.
Joe Wooten
Space Lieutenant
Space Lieutenant

#3 Re: Storing your model rockets

Post by Joe Wooten »

Interesting. I might have to invest in something like this......
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Re: Storing your model rockets

Post by bernomatic »

Here is a picture of the basic hook.
Unfinished french cleat rocket hooks
Unfinished french cleat rocket hooks
101_1328.JPG (505.58 KiB) Viewed 8000 times
For ease of adding the rockets and positioning, I don't glue the dowel into the hook. I do glue an empty casing, either 13mm or 18mm, onto the dowel.

I have varied the design and finish on various hooks. I plan on showing some more of them here including additional items for the display and storage of rocketry equipment using this system.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Re: Storing your model rockets

Post by bernomatic »

This is a basic hook design with square corners and stained with an Early American wood stain and Minwax Polycrylic finish . The base boards were finished with a simple application of Boiled Linseed Oil.
101_1342 (2).JPG
101_1342 (2).JPG (254.82 KiB) Viewed 8000 times
101_1338.JPG
101_1338.JPG (314.71 KiB) Viewed 8000 times
In the bottom picture, the hook does not have the wedge block inserted. In the close up, you can make out the darker wedge block. This keeps the hook from being easily bumped off the base strip on the wall.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Re: Storing your model rockets

Post by bernomatic »

101_1343.JPG
101_1343.JPG (234.73 KiB) Viewed 7998 times
101_1345.JPG
101_1345.JPG (527.64 KiB) Viewed 7998 times
Shown here, a hook with a simple chamfer, dark walnut stain and the same finish as above.