Createx Airbrush Colors

bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1 Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by bernomatic »

After first having problems with these paints for airbrushes, then having limited success on the Scorpion, I'm back to having limited success trying to paint my USS Andromeda.

I found out you have to heat cure the paints per the instructions on the bottles. but that's all they said, "Cure with heat". After the nod to wear a respirator, It stated, "refer to the application guide for more information." Just finding the application guide itself was fun and if not for the internet, never would have been able to. I looked on Createx's website and at the craft store were I first came in contact with them. Finally I googled it and Viola! (I know should have just googled it to begin with).

Well they have a lot of colors and finishes, are mixable and are relatively cheap. They are supposed to be able to be used straight from the bottle, but unless you're using a large nozzle(0.5mm), high pressure (2.5-3.5 bars) air gun, that just ain't so.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
Trident
Space Chief Petty officer

#2 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by Trident »

Anxiously awaiting some pictures ... :)
Lee

Bulds: Estes Saturn V, Super Sky Hook, Farside-X
Awaiting Paint/Detailing: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Der Saturn Max, Bandit XL
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by bernomatic »

All right, here's the scoop. I have been working on this rocket for the longest time. Typical stuff, I don't want to rush it, this is a labor of love, etc.

Problem no. 1 was finding a fluorescent orange for inside the ram jets. After much trail and error (and not having a lot of funds at the time, I went with the Monokote.
IMG_20160426_001034.jpg
IMG_20160426_001034.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 12632 times
Damn, she's so long it's hard to get a good picture of her.
IMG_20160426_000734.jpg
IMG_20160426_000734.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 12632 times
After sitting and looking at her for so long, and getting tired of just looking, I scimped on the filling and priming. in my defense, if I had taken the usual concerns, this baby would be a shelf queen til I die. Anyways, the idea is to color the circular dots in the color of navigation lights. I'm thinking the high ones on the sails will be white. I'm using Createx's iridescent colors for the lights, except for the white one's.
IMG_20160426_000734.jpg
IMG_20160426_000734.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 12632 times
IMG_20160426_001034.jpg
IMG_20160426_001034.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 12632 times
The white one was spray painted, the yellow one hand painted (still using the createx) and both turned out looking like garbage.

The little speckles you see on the tube is dust and what not, the black finish of the whole body has a tacky feel which attracts and collects "stuff". It has been heat cured with a hair dryer, more on that in a bit. The dust comes off easily with a tack rag.

I used a hole punch to punch the circles originally and used it to punch holes in the masking tape, the results as seen where not good.
Attachments
IMG_20160426_000935.jpg
IMG_20160426_000935.jpg (1003.69 KiB) Viewed 12632 times
IMG_20160426_000909.jpg
IMG_20160426_000909.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 12632 times
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by bernomatic »

Alright, now for the sad part.

As I said above, the whole rocket had been heat cured using a hair dryer, but still felt tacky. I went in little circles with that hair dryer over one area till it got warm to the touch and then moved about an inch over and circled again. Well, Saturday I was at the Auto parts store getting oil change stuff and decided to get a heat gun. It's going to take some practice I guess.

So bubbled up a little in the forward crew compartment and this is the result after sanding...
IMG_20160426_000922.jpg
IMG_20160426_000922.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 12632 times
So the plan is, after kicking myself and getting my patience back to repaint the area black, the panels will be gold colored. Also maybe the rings.
IMG_20160426_000804.jpg
IMG_20160426_000804.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 12632 times
Sorry about the poor quality of the pics, It was a spur of the moment photo shoot using the cell phone camera.

I really can't wait to get the decals on her. I've had them from Gordy for about 5 years now.
Trident

#5 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by Trident »

It has been cold and rainy here. Maybe get some painting in by May, June at the latest!

I'm wondering about my chance of success with Createx. I may just have to go the Model Masters Enamel or Acrylic route.
Lee

Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#6 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by Commander »

The thing is, if I was able to work more on the airbrushing, like even on a semi-daily basis, I might be able to give more advice. As it is, I'm just giving my best guess at what work's well.

I have too manypokers in the fire.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#7 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by Commander »

I found a great series of youtube videos on the Createx paints for Models.

Createx for Scale Models by Andy X

He's a bit long winded at times, but the information he gives is invaluable if you are going to use the Createx paints. I was I had come across them (the videos) a long time ago, it would have saved me a lot of heartache.

I think it is around the third in the series that he actually gets into the meat of the matter. The first couple are explaining about the paint types from Createx and the need for a base. The poster eventually gets down to the real heartache in dealing with the line in that they have a great variety of colors and hues, mix well, don't react with other paints, but, and this is a big but, are a real pain to work with. Well watch the vids and you'll see.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#8 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by Commander »

The poster says he used Pledge with Future shine to thin the Createx. It was better than the Createx base in some respects.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by bernomatic »

I thought it would be a good idea to upload Createx's Airbrush Colors Application Guide in this thread also.
AppGuide_CreatexAirbrushColors.pdf
(259.64 KiB) Downloaded 722 times
Trident

#10 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by Trident »

I appreciate all the info. I found my box of Createx paints -- wow, I've got a bunch! I have so many I better figure out how to use them!

I could use some home project downtime to get back to a rocketry project or two.
Lee