Sirius Rocketry S.S. Cestris

Take us through your build strategies and ideas.
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1 Sirius Rocketry S.S. Cestris

Post by bernomatic »

I have been working on this one for a little bit now. I am going to be adding some personal touches to it. One touch I have decided against is placing the turret of a Patton Tank model on the underside of the capsule. :o You see, I was looking at some plastic static models online and came across the old Monogram Patton Tank rebranded as a Revell kit. My mind starting free wheeling and seeing as you have to add a ton (okay, an ounce) of weight already to the Cestris's Nose Cone, I started wondering if I could find a more interesting way to do it. I might have taken up the challenge, but my rocketry time is in high demand right now.

So, speaking of added nose cone weight, how much additional did you add Rocket when you converted it to a cluster?
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#2 Re: Sirius Rocketry S.S. Cestris

Post by Rocket Babe »

Glad to hear you are building a Cestris kit. :~salud: And that you'll cluster it :!: :o :D :O~

Since I'm in Alaska and all my rocketry stuff is at home I'm not looking at the kit instructions but I've answered this question before so I do remember; the finished Cestris nosecone weighs 4.1 ounces when built for a core D12-5 and a pair of C6-0's. :ugeek:

Speaking of tank turrets, Randy is thinking of building one with more detail, probably for static display, to reflect the upgrades mentioned in the next edition. Recently he was searhcing for the right scale landing gears and a possible upgrade to the outboards to bt 55 in order to add boat tails to all three and a couple of other tweaks. I don't know what he's found or decided since I've been gone. When we're on the phone we're not talking about rockets. ;)
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Re: Sirius Rocketry S.S. Cestris

Post by bernomatic »

4.1oz ... 4.1 oz? That's quite a bit of deadweight. :shock:
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#4 Re: Sirius Rocketry S.S. Cestris

Post by Rocket Babe »

I'm not looking at the instructons and I don't remember exactly how much clay comes with it. If it comes with 1 ounce you need to add 3 ounces for a D12 core and a pair of C6 outboards.

The finished nose cone weighs 4.1 ounces - including decals, paint, etc.
Attachments
vsl1.JPG
vsl1.JPG (51.61 KiB) Viewed 5325 times
vsl5.jpg
vsl5.jpg (132.68 KiB) Viewed 5325 times
vsl4.jpg
vsl4.jpg (149.83 KiB) Viewed 5325 times
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Re: Sirius Rocketry S.S. Cestris

Post by bernomatic »

You all know that when I saw step 33 of the instructions say "Angle the two rudders as shown in the rear view of the assembly (inset, Figure 33)" , my OCD set in. I had to have more info than that. So.....
101_1605.JPG
101_1605.JPG (524.29 KiB) Viewed 4630 times
That lead to...
101_1552.JPG
101_1552.JPG (571.78 KiB) Viewed 4630 times
101_1551.JPG
101_1551.JPG (553.7 KiB) Viewed 4630 times
101_1550.JPG
101_1550.JPG (535.46 KiB) Viewed 4630 times
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Re: Sirius Rocketry S.S. Cestris

Post by bernomatic »

Right now I am applying Sanding Sealer to the balsa surfaces while I listen to the Vince Guaraldi Trio's rendition of the Charlie Brown Christmas [2012 Remastered & Expanded Edition] (Remastered & Expanded Edition). I am mentally working out some changes to adapt the rocket to cluster potential while still being able to use a single engine without all that additional weight The Rocket Babe mentioned in post #2.
There has been a slew of additional things imposing upon my time (hopefully in a beneficial respect) which has slowed my progress. One thing I have been reflecting on is making a "scale" to help accurately determine center of gravity (CG). That has taken a backseat (or more accurately second item on my to do list) to my recent purchase of a bandsaw which has allowed me to cut found lumber and other odds and ends into useful bits of wood for use in my construction of jigs and items to turn on the lathe.
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#7 Re: Sirius Rocketry S.S. Cestris

Post by Rocket Babe »

;)
Attachments
LkgpGnX.jpg
LkgpGnX.jpg (16.29 KiB) Viewed 4626 times