Rustoleum- The best of times/ the worst of times

bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1 Rustoleum- The best of times/ the worst of times

Post by bernomatic » Tue, 07 Aug 18, 16:14 pm

When they work, Rustoleum rattle can paint can give a really nice finish. When they don't, well let's just say I don't buy the paint for rockets anymore.

Now the primers, I am still using the primers but had my first nozzle issue with a primer last week. :( We'll have to see how it goes.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer

Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#2 Re: Rustoleum- The best of times/ the worst of times

Post by Rocket Babe » Sun, 12 Aug 18, 21:20 pm

I have never used anything except Krylon, even after they messed up the original formula. When I was a kid there was a model spray paint I think was called Pla??? :? :? It was ok for plastic model cars and planes.

I tried Rustoleum once :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: right after Krylon changed but NEVER again. :twisted:

luke strawwalker
Space Vice Admiral
Space Vice Admiral

#3 Re: Rustoleum- The best of times/ the worst of times

Post by luke strawwalker » Fri, 24 Aug 18, 01:37 am

I use the Rustoleum "wet sandable" primer for everything-- does a nice job and leaves a really nice primer layer... "damp sand" it and it will look like a silky matte finish, so all you need to do is shoot a nice color coat or two and *not screw up* and it'll come out looking great.

I like the Walmart Colorplace stuff for basic black and white... they have only the most basic "primary colors" but for black and white (like scale NASA-type models) it works great.

I've picked up a few airbrushes and a trim gun from Harbor Freight... for large rockets or HD finishes, that's probably the ticket. I bought an external mix airbrush from TSC a few years back for about $20 bucks IIRC with some extra paint jars. Can't do "detail work" with it, but for covering large surface area (like base coats) without having a ton of clean-up and stuff, it should do nicely.

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...