x-acto blade woes

bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1 x-acto blade woes

Post by bernomatic »

While visiting Facebook, I was perusing some posts in The Model Rocketry Fanatics Group when I came across a familiar topic. X-acto knives rolling off the work surface and falling, typically into your foot. :shock: or breaking the blade point off (which you never find til walking around in your bare feet some time late at night) :twisted:

The reason I say familiar is because many years ago I wrote a short article about the first suggestion below for Apogee's Peak of Flight Ezine.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 idea # 1: clothes pins

Post by bernomatic »

You can find Clothes Pins in a variety of sizes at most craft stores. Anywhere from needing tweezers to open to ones that would take two hands.

The size I found most utile for this idea is about half of the standard size. As can be seen, another advantage is you can make a set of pins with the blade condition written on it.
101_0572.JPG
101_0572.JPG (525.07 KiB) Viewed 5397 times
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 idea #2: Floral Foam Bricks

Post by bernomatic »

I have a couple of these Floral Foam Bricks sitting around the Commander's Table to stick knives, pins or other small items into, they are relatively cheap and can last a while. In addition, you don't have to use the whole brick at once and can easily cut off sections for around the workshop or to hold different items.
101_0570.JPG
101_0570.JPG (552.78 KiB) Viewed 5397 times
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#4 Re: x-acto blade woes

Post by Commander »

So, how do you store youre X-Acto knives? Have you ever experienced a mishap with one rolling off the tabletop?
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#5 Re: x-acto blade woes

Post by luke strawwalker »

I pretty much keep the caps on mine when I'm not actually using them. Less risky that way. When I'm using them, well, yeah it can get kinda dicey if they decide to roll off the table... I pick my feet up REAL quick and let the floor catch them in their own good time... :)

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...