a Rocket Babe watch

Beautiful, brilliant and Earth’s best hope for survival – Rocket Babe

This is the place for talk and information regarding one of the Cantina's favorite vistors. Captain Verna Starr, better known by her call sign... Rocket Babe
Written by Stephen R. DeArman
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#1 a Rocket Babe watch

Post by Commander »

Hey babe, ever heard of an oldie (1960) called First Spaceship on Venus. I found this on Youtube and watched it tonight.

It's a good one to pop a kettle of popcorn, get a 64 oz. Dr. Pepper and some juju beads and watch. :geek: especially if Ferryman is with you. He might find some interest in the first part of movie. It kinda goes along some parallel lines with some of your story line in a remote Siberian way. the chronology is off just a tad though, they get going in 1984.

Also, I just love the ship and wish I could get some clear screen shots of it to try and build it.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#2 Re: a Rocket Babe watch

Post by Rocket Babe »

I had not heard of it before but found it interesting, and yes, there were a couple of similarities. :P

As for the ship, 8-) I have seen it before and I think we featured something very similar 4-5 years ago on Fire & Smoke. A Rocket Babe fan had built it as a kit bash and FLEW it as a cluster!!! You know how a clustered rocket gets me... excited :!: :!: :!: :o :D ;) :O~ Sorry, :oops: I kind of lost it for a moment. :) :) :)

Where was I... oh yes, sometimes I archive a copy of the more exotic submissions. As soon as I can get a few minutes I'll see if I still have at least a photo of the one I'm thinking of. I don't recall if it was 4 :) or 5 :D engines.

I'll let you know.
Last edited by Rocket Babe on Tue, 27 Nov 18, 21:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#3 Re: a Rocket Babe watch

Post by Rocket Babe »

Ok, see what you think. I found the one we featured on Fire & Smoke. Not exactly the same but similar configuration with 5 engines :!: :~salud:

It was a kit bashed Estes V-2 built by Chas Haugen.

He added 4" to the length, and 4, 18mm pods. CLUSTER :!: :twisted: :D It can fly on a core 29mm mount orwith a core and 4 18mm outboards! :D :D :D

The 1st flight on an AT G64 was successful. :~salud: :USA:

Photos attached. I love the little pilots! :D
Attachments
thumbnail_4c1e4.jpg
thumbnail_4c1e4.jpg (142.93 KiB) Viewed 8446 times
4c1e2.JPG
4c1e2.JPG (301.08 KiB) Viewed 8446 times
4c1e.JPG
4c1e.JPG (289.28 KiB) Viewed 8446 times
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#4 Re: a Rocket Babe watch

Post by Rocket Babe »

I know I've seen that exact ship from the movie someplace before, as a kit or scratch built.

It will drive me crazy until I remember where . :clueless:
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#5 Re: a Rocket Babe watch

Post by Commander »

Yes, the pilots are a nice touch. I had an idea for a space transport design, which would have a star-roof section over the passenger seating area. The main concern is finding a jumbo jet model with interior seating that I could use. I really wouldn't relish making fifty or more seats out of plastistruct by hand. :pukex2:
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#6 Re: a Rocket Babe watch

Post by Commander »

It's interesting to note that this is a (East) German and Polish film from the late 50's, early 60's that got dubbed over and released in the USA a couple of years later. The idea with the crew, even in the original "communist version" (if you will), being of a multi-national make up is interesting.

The original title of the movie was Der Schweigende Stern which translates by Google into The Silent Star.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#7 Re: a Rocket Babe watch

Post by Rocket Babe »

I noticed the crew make up right away and that was the most interesting/amazing part, aside from the robotic insects. Hard to fathom that crew concept from that country in that era. Seems Roddenberry wasn't the first with the idea of a global crew after all. Of course, I've always thought the idea of Spock on STNG going to Romulus in the episode, Reunification, a parody of East / West German as it was first broadcast about the time the wall fell. If not, it's a heck of a co-incidence. 8-)
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Re: a Rocket Babe watch

Post by bernomatic »

Per a note on the IMDB.com
In the original German and Polish version, the spaceship was called the Kosmokrator. In the English dubbed version released as "First Spaceship on Venus," it is called the Cosmostrator.
First Spaceship on Venus.jpg
First Spaceship on Venus.jpg (282.33 KiB) Viewed 8433 times
First Spaceship on Venus-2.jpg
First Spaceship on Venus-2.jpg (54.78 KiB) Viewed 8433 times
This film was based on Stanislaw Lem's 1951 novel "Astronauci" ("The Astronauts"). This was Lem's first novel and, to get is published, he had to insert some pro-communist elements. The pro-communist elements of the book contributed to the government's approval for this expensive and high- profile production by DEFA. The communist elements were minimized in the film.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
Trident
Space Chief Petty officer
Space Chief Petty officer

#9 Re: a Rocket Babe watch

Post by Trident »

Cool V-2 bash. I assume it’s on the washer because you were doing it’s laundry? 😀
Lee

Bulds: Estes Saturn V, Super Sky Hook, Farside-X
Awaiting Paint/Detailing: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Der Saturn Max, Bandit XL
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#10 Re: a Rocket Babe watch

Post by Rocket Babe »

Hey Lee!

The V-2 bash belongs to Chas Haugen, we just featured it on our website a while back. If he's like us, models are all over the place at times. I tend to jump in and work on or photograph stuff where ever I find 10 inches of space. ;)