Celebrities and politics

Reviews, Comments and Information on new Science Fiction, Fantasy or other interesting TV shows, Films, Books, Radio Pays, etc.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#1 Celebrities and politics

Post by Commander »

There are certain celebrities I use to enjoy watching in one manner or another, then their political opinions started to overtake their persona and now I really can't stand watching anything they are in.

Leading the list, Barbara Streisand. Never really liked her, but my mother did during the sixties and seventies. Then when I became more politically aware in the eighties, no matter the role, I couldn't watch her because I kept thinking more about her political stances than the role she was playing. I lead with her instead of Jane Fonda, because I never really liked Jane Fonda before I hated her politics. Well not totally true. I mean I could watch Barberella and not be sidetracked by the political leaning :O~ , but then, that is an unfair thing to do to a teenage lad. Back to babs, I could listen to her music, watch her films and not even her strange eyes would deter me from enjoying what she was performing. It wasn't sexual, I had no desire for her in that way (to be honest the eyes did distract in that area at least). I just found the things she did to be enjoyable to listen to or watch. Now, forget it about it.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#2 Re: Celebrities and politics

Post by Commander »

Sorry, the Mrs. needed some help with posting on Facebook. Anyways, The whole point is that there are a whole crop of Hollywood actors who have now made it almost impossible for me to watch things they have a role in, large screen or small screen, because they have become politically active.

I wish them the best of luck, but I won't watch or listen to their wares anymore:

George Takei
Pauley Perrette
Whoopie Goldberg
Rosie O' Donald
Madonna

To name a few.

Seth Mc Farlane came close with some of his recent twitters, but isn't over the line....yet.

One would think that I would espouse free speech for these individuals as I do for model rocketeers here on the Starport. In a way I do, but as I see it, in their cases, they have a larger impact on this nation and no way for us to rebuke their statements. We don't have the ability to be seen on a nationwide stage to refute their claims.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#3 Re: Celebrities and politics

Post by Rocket Babe »

There are tons of actors that I no longer watch anything they are in past, present or future, :claw: because they can't keep their ignorance to themselves. They have a right to their opinion and I have a right to change the channel or forget them entirely.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#4 Re: Celebrities and politics

Post by Commander »

Rocket Babe wrote: Fri, 11 Jan 19, 16:17 pm There are tons of actors that I no longer watch anything they are in past, present or future, :claw: because they can't keep their ignorance to themselves. They have a right to their opinion and I have a right to change the channel or forget them entirely.
I Wouldn't say it's their ignorance that makes me no longer able to stomach them, I deal with enough ignorant fools all day sometimes. No, it is their uncanny ability to delude themselves that they know better than anyone else based upon their position in this world. The idea that I should take someone seriously because they are able to easily make me believe they are the meanest, baddest cop in San Francisco has no relationship to their ability to understand the freedoms I as a underpaid midwesterner wish to retain. So yes, even Clint Eastwood gets a knock in that regard (although I can still watch his movies).

The only celebrity I'm willing to give a pass to is Ted Nugent. Didn't really like a lot of his music in the first place, but the crazy sum-of-a-bitch is a musician first. and has shown throughout the years his patriotism to the country.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#5 Re: Celebrities and politics

Post by Rocket Babe »

I agree with all that too, they're so full of self righteous B.S. it makes me... :pukex2:

About a month ago I saw an interview with Dolly Parton and she was set up and asked what she thought about politics today. She smiled then said I'm not going to answer that." When pressed she said "I'm an entertainer, that's what people expect me to be and they don't want or need to hear my opinion on politics."

Intelligent woman. :~salud:
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#6 Re: Celebrities and politics

Post by Rocket Babe »

While we're not rich or famous I will say that you'll never see politics or our opinions on politics on the RB Facebook page or any of our websites. Here, or one of our personal pages, yes, but not on book or rocket pages. Just not the place.
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#7 Re: Celebrities and politics

Post by luke strawwalker »

Rocket Babe wrote: Sun, 13 Jan 19, 01:53 am I agree with all that too, they're so full of self righteous B.S. it makes me... :pukex2:

About a month ago I saw an interview with Dolly Parton and she was set up and asked what she thought about politics today. She smiled then said I'm not going to answer that." When pressed she said "I'm an entertainer, that's what people expect me to be and they don't want or need to hear my opinion on politics."

Intelligent woman. :~salud:
Too bad more celebrities aren't that smart...

I agree that anybody, celebrities included, are allowed to believe anything they want to, no matter HOW stupid it may be. They have a right to express their opinion, no matter how stupid it may be. BUT, when they start ATTACKING anything that doesn't particularly agree with *THEIR* opinion or worldview, repeatedly and vociferously, and doing whatever they can to sensationalize their opinion and gain popularity or ratings from it, THAT is when I have a problem and "tune out or turn off", which is MY right to do...

The only thing I've seen with Hanoi Jane in it was "The China Syndrome" nuclear plant meltdown movie... and I like that film because of 1) the subject matter and 2) Jack Lemmon's performance. Hanoi Jane is neither here nor there AFAIC... Never saw "Barbarella" but being a child of the 80's, I did enjoy looking at the "box art" on Hanoi Jane's exercise videos back in the day... always had a weakness for nice legs and a nice round can, particularly in hose and spandex leotards... (sometimes I *REALLY* miss the 80's... course now we have yoga pants, which kinda makes up for it). Even back then I knew she was "persona non-grata" and admiring her assets was as far as that went LOL:)

When people start "foaming at the mouth" like Rosie O'Donnell and increasingly, Whoopsie Goldbrick, I tune out and turn off... Not that I won't watch "Star Trek: TNG" or stop her character from allowing me to enjoy it; far from it-- her character was certainly not a favorite anyway, though not the most "hated" character (Wesley, anyone? LOL:) I think the writers did some interesting things with the Guinan character. Roddenberry had an interesting idea with Wesley, but I think it was kinda unrealistic ("TYPICAL" 23rd century teen on a starship) and quickly went off the rails (23rd century wunderkind that ended up saving the ship every other week-- :pukex2: )

What P!SSES me off more than anything is the way these stupid studio execs and empty suits and frothing-at-the-mouth producers and stuff are turning franchises into their own personal political mouthpiece, and ruining them in the process. For instance, the new Star Wars films, ala "The Force Awakens" and "The Last Jedi", PARTICULARLY "TLJ". At least Nazi propaganda had some entertainment value... their stuff is equally as much PROPAGANDA but it's just practically unwatchable because the scripts are SO ham-fisted about it they're like watching something written by a moody overstimulated and uneducated teenager with ADHD.

Won't be wasting ANY more time or money on THAT claptrap until they get their heads out of their exhaust ports and put someone in charge who actually wants to make an ENTERTAINING MOVIE rather than a propaganda piece to suit their own beliefs...

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...