Starport Sagitta Special Services

Messages from the Commander about life, the universe and everything.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#1 Starport Sagitta Special Services

Post by Commander »

Now available at the Starport, special order vacuum forming.

If you have the need for a special part, and if we can get an original part to copy, Starport Sagitta will produce that part through vacuum forming for a modest fee. Until further notice, send us a request through the "Contact Us" links either here in the Cantina or through the main website. Either way, we will get back to you as soon as possible with a response of whether we can accommodate you or not, and if we can, a quote on our expected fees.

Below are pictures of a Renegade #2410 Canopy
Renegade Canopy  1.JPG
Renegade Canopy 1.JPG (70.53 KiB) Viewed 8024 times
Renegade Canopy 2.JPG
Renegade Canopy 2.JPG (73.27 KiB) Viewed 8024 times
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
tmacklin
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

#2 Re: Starport Sagitta Special Services

Post by tmacklin »

Bernie, that is just too cool! Nice work! :D
Rocket Babe
Space Babe
Space Babe

#3 Re: Starport Sagitta Special Services

Post by Rocket Babe »

You might want to consider providing the molded parts for the Estes size SR-71. I know many people have asked about where to get the parts to clone one. Could be a decent demand for them.
Last edited by Rocket Babe on Mon, 26 Dec 16, 03:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#4 Re: Starport Sagitta Special Services

Post by Commander »

Rocket Babe wrote:You might want to consider providung the molded parts for the Estes size SR-71. I know many people have asked about where to get the parts to clone one. Could be a decent demand for them.
That would be a great endeavor, except for a couple of things.
-This is vacuum forming. While versatile, it does not lend itself to making nose cones, especially detailed ones, unless you do a two part process (along the longitudinal axis).
-The typical plastic used for this technique is not as structurally strong as a blow molded counterpart. It is fine for canopies, tail cones and some other small items, but trying to draw over a nose cone from tip to base will leave a thin spot at the nose and possibly in other areas.
I temped in a small plastic forming company a while ago and talked with the mold maker about the possibilities (and the draw backs) to this process. I had really hoped at that time that it would be an inexpensive way to mass produce nose cones. If you do the draw from nose cone tip to base, not only do you have the stretching over the tip of the nose cone, but you have the overhang lip of the shoulder. This overhang portion would be a problem area since the draw would be toward the base and the plastic would not draw up into the overhang area. In factories that perform the process, the mold can have tiny airways drilled in them that help suck the plastic up into the nooks and crannies, but those molds are typical metal and used for large runs (meaning I would have to sell thousands of parts to even try to recoup the initial cost layout).
Anther option would be to have a negative mold, where the plastic is sucked into a hollow to form the item, but these again are for large production runs.

-I have to have the original parts to create the molds.
While the original parts would be returned (unharmed, unless major problems occurred), I would still need to get them to copy.

Even with all that said, I would still be willing to take a stab at it, if someone was willing to pay for it. :D
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#5 Starport Sagitta Special Services -DECALS!

Post by Commander »

By special order, Get decals for your rockets, even white and some metallics. :o

If we can find a copy of the decals, we will do our best to give you the best decals ever!

Until further notice, send us a request through the "Contact Us" links either here in the Cantina or through the main website. Either way, we will get back to you as soon as possible with a response of whether we can accommodate you or not, and if we can, a quote on our expected fees.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Re: Starport Sagitta Special Services

Post by bernomatic »

This was one with one of the "seconds" from Blackshire's order of Estes Astro decals for a local school.
P5020052.JPG
P5020052.JPG (67.33 KiB) Viewed 7835 times
Below is John Brohm's original Estes Astro
JB Astro Decal.jpg
JB Astro Decal.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 7835 times
I think I'm still a touch too red. It's hard to tell through pictures.

One thing I did pick up when I first looked at John's beautiful job, was that the original Estes decals didn't base coat the orange lettering. It's visibly transparent on the lower half of the word.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#7 Re: Starport Sagitta Special Services

Post by Commander »

There is now a link to a form to submit requests for decals.

At this time you cannot navigate to the page with this submission form from the main website :cry: BUT you can access the form with this link :arrow: Request for decals.

Thank you for your support.
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971