‘Moon Express’ Secures Funding in Race to Mine the Moon

Anything Rocketry related from NASA, RUSSIAN FEDERAL SPACE AGENCY, Fantasy & Sci Fi
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1 ‘Moon Express’ Secures Funding in Race to Mine the Moon

Post by bernomatic »

As I was surfing Beibart.com, imagine my surprise to come across this article regarding mining on the moon. I was unaware of this prize.
Moon Express has amassed $45 million so far toward the construction of a lunar lander about the size of a modern washing machine. The MX-1E will launch out of New Zealand on the back of Rocket Lab’s new Electron rocket, an as-yet untested craft that promises to “change how we access space” through its “revolutionary design.”

If Moon Express can accomplish all of this before anyone else, they’ll still need to travel 500 meters across the surface of the moon, as well as transmit high-definition images back to Earth. That will secure them the coveted Google Lunar Xprize, earning them another $30 million for their ongoing efforts.
I recall an anecdote I read somewhere about a technician talking to one of the Apollo moon walkers and trying to hand him a small bag of gold dust and telling him to mix it in with the moon rock samples they were going to secure. The statement was made that it would guarantee that we would be going back to the moon in short order and that a large traffic would also ensue. :lol:

Full Article
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#2 Re: ‘Moon Express’ Secures Funding in Race to Mine the Moon

Post by luke strawwalker »

Meh... more "pie in the sky" from people we've never heard about...

$30 million is a JOKE when it comes to doing lunar *ANYTHING* (well, with the exception of telescope work or maybe analyzing old Apollo lunar samples or something), and what are you going to prove with a "washing machine" sized rover on the moon that drives a half kilometer?? The Russians did this way back in 72 with the Lunokhods...

SO, as if an all new "civilian" rover isn't risky enough, it's gonna be launched on some new rocket nobody's ever heard of that's going to "revolutionize how we access space".

Sure... and Zefram Cochrane is laboring in a missile silo in Montana to break the light barrier...

Lemme just say "I'll believe it when I see it..."

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...
bernomatic
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Re: ‘Moon Express’ Secures Funding in Race to Mine the Moon

Post by bernomatic »

No...
Zefram Cochrane was from Alpha Centauri, having hitched a ride with the Robinson's and wanted to get him quickly and so then created the warp drive.

While the prize values may be a joke in consideration of the expense, It doesn't mean that the contests are worthless. The X prize wasn't won by either of the now current leading competitors for (Space X and Blue Origins) in space "taxi" services. Sure most of Spaceship One's competitors are just footnotes to history, but it created some electricity. The contests also create a sense of urgency in that if you don't shift it, you may lose it to the guy down the street. Akin to the space race giving us the impetus to land the dudes on the moon before the end of the decade, you may not recoup your total costs, but coming in second is even worse (in the above Google Lunar Xprize, first is 30 million, second place is five million).

As for Moon Express, they have to get to the moon before they can launch a vehicle. Their partner Rocket Lab, however seems to be an extensive concern (You don't open a launch facility in New Zeal;and on a whim) even if they haven't had one lift off yet. While I don't know exactly what "revolutionary design" entails, A quick look at their website gives some information regarding the fact that the "Rutherford is the first oxygen/kerosene engine to use 3D printing for all primary components."

What I like to see from these companies is an increasing autonomy from NASA or other national space entities. Rocket Lab and Blue Origin have their own launch complexes. Let's see if they start out performing Kennedy.
Chief Cook -n- bottle washer
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#4 Re: ‘Moon Express’ Secures Funding in Race to Mine the Moon

Like I said- talk is cheap, and I'll believe it when I see it...

As Mr. Scott once said, (translated for modern times) "Reading press releases is easy, rocket science, that's hard..."

Joe Wooten
Space Lieutenant
Space Lieutenant

#5 Re: ‘Moon Express’ Secures Funding in Race to Mine the Moon

Post by Joe Wooten »

luke strawwalker wrote:Like I said- talk is cheap, and I'll believe it when I see it...

As Mr. Scott once said, (translated for modern times) "Reading press releases is easy, rocket science, that's hard..."

I'm with you. Been lots of rocketry vaporware over the years.
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#6 Re: ‘Moon Express’ Secures Funding in Race to Mine the Moon

Joe Wooten wrote:
luke strawwalker wrote:Like I said- talk is cheap, and I'll believe it when I see it...

Speaking of which... any word on Quest or FSI?? Not being on the Terribly Run Forum anymore, I'm not up on the latest gossip (which most of the crap over there is anyway) but wondering if anybody had heard anything on them. I know Quest was bought by Aerotech, which doesn't seem to be exactly healthy and innovative nowdays anyway since its founder went off to tinker with stuff like high power lasers and fluff like "jet hitch"...

Just wondering in a rocket related direction (if that's permitted here LOL:)

Joe Wooten
Space Lieutenant
Space Lieutenant

#7 Re: ‘Moon Express’ Secures Funding in Race to Mine the Moon

Post by Joe Wooten »

luke strawwalker wrote:
Joe Wooten wrote:

Speaking of which... any word on Quest or FSI?? Not being on the Terribly Run Forum anymore, I'm not up on the latest gossip (which most of the crap over there is anyway) but wondering if anybody had heard anything on them. I know Quest was bought by Aerotech, which doesn't seem to be exactly healthy and innovative nowdays anyway since its founder went off to tinker with stuff like high power lasers and fluff like "jet hitch"...

Just wondering in a rocket related direction (if that's permitted here LOL:)

I haven't heard squat in a while either. I'm not a member of TRF either. I wonder what Bill Stine is doing now that he unloaded Quest onto Aerotech.
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#8 Re: ‘Moon Express’ Secures Funding in Race to Mine the Moon

I dunno... it's a shame because Quest basically seems to be "in the freezer" with nothing much going on, and it don't look like it's gonna come out anytime soon.